• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submitting an already slabbed book for Frank Miller question

9 posts in this topic

Hello, 

I am about to submit a book to CGC to be signed for the first time ever. I emailed CGC about this, and they never replied. I have also received conflicting responses when I asked about it on a CGC Facebook group. 

The book that I am submitting is already in a slab. Do I still need to include the window wrap with the book? I have one but would rather save it than send it to be wasted if it is not needed. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Beau 

Are you referring to a custom window bag?  If so, for slabbed books I send in, I always send one along with it as I want the signature to be where I want it to be.  They will crack and place the book the in bag.  If you do not include a custom window bag, they will place it in one of their own (the yellow bag they advertise) and the creator will sign it wherever they want.

On 3/6/2023 at 2:03 PM, waynemel said:

Are you referring to a custom window bag?  If so, for slabbed books I send in, I always send one along with it as I want the signature to be where I want it to be.  They will crack and place the book the in bag.  If you do not include a custom window bag, they will place it in one of their own (the yellow bag they advertise) and the creator will sign it wherever they want.

This is correct.

You do not have to send in a window bag.  Part of the $5 slab cracking fee will get you a CGC window bag.  Those are fine.  BUT then you don't really get to pick where the sig goes.  But its fine, no rule against, they won't punch your book in the armpit and set it on fire.

Or you could provide your own window bag (and board) for them to use.

OR you could crack your own slab (assuming its not a yellow label slab), save $5 and put it in your own window bag in the comfort and safety of your own home, and mail it off ready to go and minimize the touching CGC does to your comic.  

On 3/6/2023 at 6:10 PM, revat said:

This is correct.

You do not have to send in a window bag.  Part of the $5 slab cracking fee will get you a CGC window bag.  Those are fine.  BUT then you don't really get to pick where the sig goes.  But its fine, no rule against, they won't punch your book in the armpit and set it on fire.

OR you could crack your own slab (assuming its not a yellow label slab), save $5 and put it in your own window bag in the comfort and safety of your own home, and mail it off ready to go and minimize the touching CGC does to your comic.  

Is the $5 fee added on at the time of acceptance/grading etc? I subbed a couple already slabbed signed books but didn't see anything about adding the fee at the time of my submission when i was going through the process. 

On 3/13/2023 at 7:01 AM, ophidia31 said:
On 3/6/2023 at 3:10 PM, revat said:

This is correct.

Is the $5 fee added on at the time of acceptance/grading etc? I subbed a couple already slabbed signed books but didn't see anything about adding the fee at the time of my submission when i was going through the process. 

I'm not too sure about this, you could read the terms of your signing carefully and maybe they'll say.  Or dig around the CGC website.  I would have thought there'd be an option while you're filling out the form.   I know you've emailed with no response but perhaps consider calling them or posting in the "ASK CGC" section of these chat boards.

But what I would say, is that it's almost certainly nothing to worry.  At worst they'd call you and get your permission to crack the slab and charge $5 (assuming they have your credit card on file).  It would be insane for them to reject your submission outright once they've already received your book, your money, and your permission, and your  paperwork.

On 3/13/2023 at 1:33 PM, revat said:

I'm not too sure about this, you could read the terms of your signing carefully and maybe they'll say.  Or dig around the CGC website.  I would have thought there'd be an option while you're filling out the form.   I know you've emailed with no response but perhaps consider calling them or posting in the "ASK CGC" section of these chat boards.

But what I would say, is that it's almost certainly nothing to worry.  At worst they'd call you and get your permission to crack the slab and charge $5 (assuming they have your credit card on file).  It would be insane for them to reject your submission outright once they've already received your book, your money, and your permission, and your  paperwork.

Forgot to respond back here. The $5 charge(s) is when they get the book(s) into the system so there wasn't anything missed when I went through the submission thankfully.

On 3/6/2023 at 9:26 PM, Beaudini said:

Hello, 

I am about to submit a book to CGC to be signed for the first time ever. I emailed CGC about this, and they never replied. I have also received conflicting responses when I asked about it on a CGC Facebook group. 

The book that I am submitting is already in a slab. Do I still need to include the window wrap with the book? I have one but would rather save it than send it to be wasted if it is not needed. 

Thanks for your feedback.

Best,

Beau 

If you've already emailed the CGC and haven't received a response, it's a good idea to retry your request or try another contact method such as phone or live chat on their website. When you receive conflicting responses in the CGC Facebook group, it may be helpful to contact the CGC official directly or search their official website or forum for information. I also went through this process when I submitted personal narrative essays for signing, using https://edubirdie.com/examples/personal-narrative-essays/ for this. Regarding window film, it is recommended that you check this directly with CGC, providing details of your situation and book, in order to get an accurate answer and avoid unnecessary costs or wastage of material.

Edited by estrellmamone2