• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four #4 price$ are cra$hing!
1 1

22 posts in this topic

Post 'Subby' movie appearance, FF#4 prices have crashed:  Saw a CGC 4.5 go for $3000 from Dolgoff on eBay, then another CGC 4.5 go for $2280 on Heritage.  Will this book make a comeback?  What do you think are the causes of the 'crash'?

Thinking about selling this and buying an unrestored; while the market is low.  I had vintage comic fever the night I bought it; is this not too bad as far as restored goes?  I've since learned the effect of the 'purple label' on value; but this is a beautiful book!  I'm a 55year-old, humble kid reclaiming his youth; & learning the hard way.

Picture 6 of 7Picture 7 of 7

Fantastic Four #4 👀CGC 5.5 Restored ✅1st Silver Age SUB-MARINER! Marvel 1962 - Picture 5 of 7

When a book gets caught up in MCU madness there's always a 'Mexican wave' of interest which peaks round about film release time, then due to the fickleness of the market/cinema audience, interest moves elsewhere, (to whichever film is being hyped next.) It's a shame this has to be factored in. The MCU isn't all good for the comics market, in my eyes at least. 

Why sell? Yours is a great looking copy and the type of restoration work done (apart from colour touch,) is sensible. I'd happily gaze on that cover. Purple label would not trouble me one bit.

Edited by LowGradeBronze

On 3/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, MikeRN said:

Thinking about selling this and buying an unrestored; while the market is low.  I had vintage comic fever the night I bought it; is this not too bad as far as restored goes?  I've since learned the effect of the 'purple label' on value; but this is a beautiful book!  I'm a 55year-old, humble kid reclaiming his youth; & learning the hard way.

Depends on what you mean by "bad". The restoration work is extensive, so it's "bad" if one was interested in removing the added work. It looks really good for what it is, though; A very old comic book.

You got a piece of history for a discount because it was restored; Sounds like a good tradeoff to me.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:51 AM, MikeRN said:

Fantastic Four #4 👀CGC 5.5 Restored ✅1st Silver Age SUB-MARINER! Marvel 1962 - Picture 5 of 7

If you really think this is a low, then you can buy a universal copy now and sell this restored later when the prices go back up, depending on your cash situation/preferences.

Agreed.  Some of latest data from February & March 2023 proves the downward trend:  eBay ( 2.0 = $900, 2.5 + $1,300, 3.5 = $2,125, 4.5 = $3000);

Heritage ( 4.5 = $2,280, 5.0 = $3600)

Edited by MikeRN

I've since learned the effect of the 'purple label' on value; but this is a beautiful book!  I'm a 55year-old, humble kid reclaiming his youth; & learning the hard way.

If you're doing this solely as an investment, then sitting tight as is would likely be best ....and picking up a low cost Blue with eye appeal at a bargain .... HOWEVER, if you're revisiting your childhood and love old FF's, why not take the book out of the slab and put it in a mylar, with the label saved on the back side of the board ? Your copy does look better than 5.5 and that is a very cool early FF to be able to flip through, Sea Monkeys, pinups, and second letters page unfettered by that pesky slab. If the resto work is well done and the PQ and cover stock is exceptional, it may take less of a hit in value than you might think. It would be easy to trade at a show to the right dealer, but beware of the scumbags who will try to convince you it's almost worthless. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Further updates on this mag (3/31/2023):

FF#4 CGC 6.5 currently selling on eBay:  Auction start  $4,299 + $60 shipping on;

Heritage has a CGC 7.5 at $5,280 (includes 20% buyer's premium) currently, auction closes Apr 1, 2023, and many other CGC & 'raw' coming up for auction.

At the height of Namor movie speculation, dealers were placing a CGC 3.5 at $5000-5500, and lately are lucky if they get $1850.  I've noted that prices are getting slightly 'bullish' again, as most conservative sellers are not looking to give this book away(not that desperate for money).

pemart1966 and Dr. Balls are SO RIGHT-see their comments below.  This link is great too. 

https://comicbooked.com/revisiting-90s-speculative-boom-nearly-ended-comic-book-industry/

Edited by MikeRN

On 3/7/2023 at 6:53 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

A multitude of factors. Probably mostly the fact that the MCU has sucked for years, now, and current-event economical considerations.

+1

I would imagine the movie speculator market keeps books at a high when the properties they are using have longevity. I recall Thanos stuff was hot for quite some time because he was central in the movies for years. From a speculation view, Marvel having a difficult time portraying these characters in ways that will ensure long-time interest is hammering long-term value - along with the economic factors going on.

To me, it just seems like this is the bear market for comics where you either hold (because you like the book) or you sell at a loss (because you need the money). The time to buy for collectors is rapidly approaching, bad time to invest or flip because the bounce-back may not happen on books where the character has come-and-gone without much fanfare.

On 3/7/2023 at 12:18 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

When a book gets caught up in MCU madness there's always a 'Mexican wave' of interest which peaks round about film release time, then due to the fickleness of the market/cinema audience, interest moves elsewhere, (to whichever film is being hyped next.) It's a shame this has to be factored in. The MCU isn't all good for the comics market, in my eyes at least. 

Why sell? Yours is a great looking copy and the type of restoration work done (apart from colour touch,) is sensible. I'd happily gaze on that cover. Purple label would not trouble me one bit.

You mean the wave? Isn't it just a peak...the graph of the peak doesn't move...

I had to google Mexican wave...strange something so American was misappropriated...

On 3/23/2023 at 5:23 PM, Dr. Balls said:

+1

I would imagine the movie speculator market keeps books at a high when the properties they are using have longevity. I recall Thanos stuff was hot for quite some time because he was central in the movies for years. From a speculation view, Marvel having a difficult time portraying these characters in ways that will ensure long-time interest is hammering long-term value - along with the economic factors going on.

To me, it just seems like this is the bear market for comics where you either hold (because you like the book) or you sell at a loss (because you need the money). The time to buy for collectors is rapidly approaching, bad time to invest or flip because the bounce-back may not happen on books where the character has come-and-gone without much fanfare.

Honestly, if Marvel toss out such a §h#t thing as the "Sub-Mariner" portrayed in the film it’s no surprise speculation goes "down the water closed".

Don't learn the "hard way" - learn the easy way - "Educate first - then buy".  

On 3/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, rexinnih said:

That's pretty much it. Most probably another surge on this one when FF movie comes out and/or they tie Sub-Mariner into it. 

I've learned, never count on a FF movie to increase the value of FF books.  The FF movies are always bad.

Not to say I have any doubt about the long term appeal of the SA FF run.

Make an FF movie 'Kirby' style:  Action, Sci-Fi, and great story.  

https://kirbymuseum.org/blogs/effect/jackmagic/

https://slate.com/culture/2022/09/fantastic-four-marvel-full-circle-alex-ross.html

This link to Hickman's Secret Wars is the recipe for making a Marvel blockbuster movie too.

https://readfullcomic.com/secret-wars-issue-1/

EhknVIpaZ06mUE59SVAqrxwCadgSocqGX45LHB9ghU8O8x77z4VStUvCk2Yv-Qn7ovdB5q5dJoYA=s0?rhlupa=MTcxLjI0Ni4xMC4xMzg=&rnvuka=TW96aWxsYS81LjAgKGlQaG9uZTsgQ1BVIGlQaG9uZSBPUyAxMF8xIGxpa2UgTWFjIE9TIFgpIEFwcGxlV2ViS2l0LzYwMi4xLjUwIChLSFRNTCwgbGlrZSBHZWNrbykgR1NBLzI2LjAuMTU0NzI3NTU2IE1vYmlsZS8xNEI3MiBTYWZhcmkvNjAyLjE=

Stan Lee used to tell his artists, “Draw like Kirby!”; he meant, “Take the same dramatic approach as Jack.” Lee recognized the fact that Kirby had developed an almost perfect comic book formula. These days, few editors stress the use of Jack’s technique, and I believe the business suffers for that. Jack Kirby “wrote the book” on comics, but it seems nobody wants to “go by the book” any more.

FantasticFour_82.jpgCaptain America #195 by Jack Kirby | Also, visit my illustra… | FlickrSlings & Arrows