• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jackson "Butch" Guice just did his first ever commission list and it is still going
2 2

33 posts in this topic

On 3/7/2023 at 11:51 AM, Will_K said:

I'm on the waiting list.  Jackson Guice should really be a superstar artist.  Not sure why he isn't.  I think realistic styles in general just aren't a thing these days. 

The only reason is, I think, that he never had an historic run on a "hot" character or title. I'm not sure if Birds of Prey counts. The closest would be his run on Micronauts, but even then he's somewhat overshadowed by Michael Golden. And that's his early, less mature style. 

On 3/7/2023 at 11:33 AM, PhilipB2k17 said:

The only reason is, I think, that he never had an historic run on a "hot" character or title. I'm not sure if Birds of Prey counts. The closest would be his run on Micronauts, but even then he's somewhat overshadowed by Michael Golden. And that's his early, less mature style. 

I know what you mean. He had sustained runs on a lot of well regarded second tier titles, like Micronauts and Birds Of Prey and many more. But never had a prolonged run on the hot A-list book. He was certainly capable though. I think it was just timing for him.

On 3/7/2023 at 3:41 PM, Shemp said:

Just had my number called. Lucky #20! 

If I remember correctly the initial list was capped at 20.  

It was right around there. Maaaybe 25.

Good for you!! Butch is about as good as they come, and his Instagram is a true delight.

He'll be finished your commission in less than a few weeks!

Edited by babsrocks31

So, just to clarify a few things in this thread:

1.  This is not the first time Mr. Guice has taken on a commission list.  He did so with a previous art rep, but it was a long time ago

2.  In terms of not being associated with a key storyline/memorable run, I'd have to say the 1st 11 issues of the Flash re-launch in the 1980's was pretty darned good, and the sales proved it.  If that doesn't ring a bell, then perhaps his work on Action Comics 676-711 might jog some memories.  He worked on a little known storyline called "The Death of Superman".  I heard sales were pretty decent (thumbsu

Edited by jjonahjameson11

On 3/8/2023 at 11:14 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

1.  This is not the first time Mr. Guice has taken on a commission list.  He did so with a previous art rep, but it was a long time ago

2.  In terms of not being associated with a key storyline/memorable run, I'd have to say the 1st 11 issues of the Flash re-launch in the 1980's was pretty darned good, and the sales proved it.  If that doesn't ring a bell, then perhaps his work on Action Comics 676-711 might jog some memories.  He worked on a little known storyline called "The Death of Superman".  I heard sales were pretty decent (thumbsu

Oh. Butch himself posted this was the first time he was doing so under an official list format open to the entire world, but it could be I'm misremembering or misunderstanding. He also may have meant that it's just extremely rare for him.

Either way, neither he nor myself meant to be misleading.

And yes, how did some of us forget the Death of Supes.

Edited by babsrocks31

On 3/8/2023 at 2:14 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Some remember his work on Action... this result was just last week

Screenshot_20230308_213246_Chrome.jpg

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/7/2023 at 6:15 PM, babsrocks31 said:

There is info on Butch's instagram. 

I was lucky enough to get on the list for this Oracle piece. Butch was a huge part of Birds of Prey.

Your commission will likely also come with fantastic tales of working in the industry, and the turnaround time (for me) was less than two Months.

ORACLE COMMISSION.jpg

Jackson "Butch" Guice has been one of my favorite artists for many years
and Oracle is easily one of my favorite DC characters !
Your piece turned out incredible and really makes me want to get on the list...

On 3/9/2023 at 8:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Butch's Instagram post today about a Simonson cover included a comment I have been thinking about for years: "I feel like we as an industry lost some of the magic when publishers shifted most covers from being story focused into a character strike a pose thing." Smart man...

Essentially the same comment that Steve Rude made (with more explicit language) during his interview/art sake with Bill the other night. 

On 3/9/2023 at 5:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Butch's Instagram post today about a Simonson cover included a comment I have been thinking about for years: "I feel like we as an industry lost some of the magic when publishers shifted most covers from being story focused into a character strike a pose thing." Smart man...

Ya poser covers which I am not a fan of.

On 3/7/2023 at 4:15 PM, babsrocks31 said:

There is info on Butch's instagram. 

I was lucky enough to get on the list for this Oracle piece. Butch was a huge part of Birds of Prey.

Your commission will likely also come with fantastic tales of working in the industry, and the turnaround time (for me) was less than two Months.

ORACLE COMMISSION.jpg

That's really good . . . I'm not much into commissions but can't fault this one, which is probably as good as it gets.  Dave Karlen's a good guy to deal with as Butch's rep.