• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fleischer Superman Remastered
1 1

14 posts in this topic

On 3/8/2023 at 2:56 PM, Krydel4 said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/the-classic-40s-max-fleischer-superman-cartoons-are-getting-a-new-digital-remaster/

Preservationist part of me is happy. These are my favorite superman cartoons growing up eventhough they came out many years before I was born.

Finally. apparently a serious restoration, and a triple dip for me since I have the earliest DVD (VCI?) version and "Bosco" upgrade (a clear upgrade, but still lacks color depth and retained film damage and artifacts inherent in the source which didn't appear to be 35mm).  Yep, a must buy; thanks for the heads-up!   :cheers:

On 3/8/2023 at 2:13 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Finally. apparently a serious restoration, and a triple dip for me since I have the earliest DVD (VCI?) version and "Bosco" upgrade (a clear upgrade, but still lacks color depth and retained film damage and artifacts inherent in the source which didn't appear to be 35mm).  Yep, a must buy; thanks for the heads-up!   :cheers:

Triple dip for me too. Have them on VHS too.

On 3/8/2023 at 6:20 PM, Krydel4 said:

Triple dip for me too. Have them on VHS too.

Fingers crossed on the restoration work; hopefully there'll be no trade-offs quality wise.  

Haven't seen enough to draw any conclusions, but in the side by sides (unrestored verses restored) it looks like the costume colors and brightness is being boosted at the expense of depth and wider color palette.  Some details are brought out, like the phone in the interior of a phone booth where Clark changes, but the richness of technicolor background and shadow on the wall and cityscape seemed muted. In the short clip provided, Superman's image looked colorful, but less three dimensional (flatter, more like animated cartoons commonly produced today).  Note: I'm not pre-judging, just conveying an observation from the brief clip in the documentary from the link provided on Fleischer animation restoration. That brief clip and still shots from it ...watched on a computer screen... may not reflect what these films will actually look like.

I'll pre-order this when available, but keeping my expectations in check. Losing depth and color range would be a disappointing trade-off. I've seen what pristine 16mm prints struck from 35mm negatives back in the 70's look like and hopefully that's what the restorationists are trying to achieve. :wishluck:

:cheers:

This guy did an amateur restoration but it gives a sense of how good these might look once Warner Bros. completes their effort.

On 3/9/2023 at 4:00 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

Will they be released in 4K?

• Warner Bros. did 4K, 16-bit scans from the original 35mm successive exposure negatives. The raw scans were then entered into the recombine process utilizing proprietary software to merge the successive exposure Technicolor negatives into a single RGB color image. The scans were done in the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.37-to-1.
  • Special features include a new featurette (Superman: Speeding Toward Tomorrow) and two previously-produced featurettes (First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series – The Origins and Influence of This Groundbreaking Cartoon Series and The Man, the Myth, Superman: Exploring the Tradition of Superman Heroes on the Page and Screen).
  • The set will be available on May 16 to purchase digitally for $14.99 from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu, and other platforms, as well as for $33.99 on Blu-ray.
Edited by LDarkseid1

On 3/9/2023 at 4:36 PM, LDarkseid1 said:

• Warner Bros. did 4K, 16-bit scans from the original 35mm successive exposure negatives. The raw scans were then entered into the recombine process utilizing proprietary software to merge the successive exposure Technicolor negatives into a single RGB color image. The scans were done in the original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.37-to-1.
  • Special features include a new featurette (Superman: Speeding Toward Tomorrow) and two previously-produced featurettes (First Flight: The Fleischer Superman Series – The Origins and Influence of This Groundbreaking Cartoon Series and The Man, the Myth, Superman: Exploring the Tradition of Superman Heroes on the Page and Screen).
  • The set will be available on May 16 to purchase digitally for $14.99 from Amazon Prime Video, AppleTV, Google Play, Vudu, and other platforms, as well as for $33.99 on Blu-ray.

Blu-ray is not the same or as good as 4K Ultra HD. 

On 3/9/2023 at 8:41 PM, Ghastly542454 said:

Odd that they would scan it at 4K but not release a 4K version!😩

The 4K Market is smaller and it costs more to produce.  They typically remaster at a higher resolution to deliver an optimal scan and to allow for future distribution, either on 4K Disc or via 4k streaming.

The new remastered ones are sharper, but I dunno, these cartoons themselves always looked pretty good to my eyes. I sent away for 16mm film in the 80s.  Got the FHS tapes in the 80s, and there was an app with jusy the whole set of Fleischer Supermas in the 90s too!.  These are a bit overdone too, like the now black shadows on the credits in the beginning.  Colors are fine

Supes still punching the power rays too!  never quite understood that, or pushing the "melting/curving" skyscraper without it shattering to pieces. And Supes and Lois are rotoscoped and have that super-real quality to them. so why is the villain so cartoony?  not to mention his dopey pet!