• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Interesting YouTube Video. The Question is, "Does Heritage or CGC bear any responsibility?"
5 5

35 posts in this topic

On 3/10/2023 at 2:00 AM, Tony S said:

IF your point is CGC owes someone money -  I 100% disagree.   The original owner had what they paid for. A CGC graded 9.6. 

No.  They had a green label 9.6 disguised as a blue label 

That’s 100% on CGC

If you buy a blue label HULK 181 & crack it out to find the value stamp is missing?  That’s cool?  Your fault for taking a chance and cracking it out?

On 3/10/2023 at 7:19 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

No.  They had a green label 9.6 disguised as a blue label 

That’s 100% on CGC

If you buy a blue label HULK 181 & crack it out to find the value stamp is missing?  That’s cool?  Your fault for taking a chance and cracking it out?

No....Not your FAULT. Your responsibility. There is a difference. 

Maybe everyone here should just crack open ALL their CGC graded books to make sure everything is OK. I mean how can you be sure???

The reason I am  not caring about all this is because we have not - to my knowledge - even heard from the "victim".  The person doing the video is a third party that never owned the book. Just an underbidder that noticed what everyone believes is the same book going from blue to green.  For all that anyone here knows, the maker of the video knows,   CGC may have already compensated the owner of the 9.6. Maybe that owner called up CGC after the book came back Green label and said "WTH?" and something was worked out.  I would. I bet everyone reading and commenting here would would make that call. And if they got compensation, not talking about it was probably part of the deal.  

So pardon me while I shrug and don't give a sh... People are assuming there is a problem when maybe the problem was fixed.   If I were inclined to criticize CGC, it would be for giving a book within an  obvious partial erasure a 9.8 (the grease pencil) .  Even 9.6 seems generous. 

On 3/11/2023 at 11:09 PM, Tony S said:

So pardon me while I shrug and don't give a sh... People are assuming there is a problem when maybe the problem was fixed.   If I were inclined to criticize CGC, it would be for giving a book within an  obvious partial erasure a 9.8 (the grease pencil) .  Even 9.6 seems generous.

I highly doubt that there was a mutual “settlement” for lack of better words. I agree with some of your statements but I would argue it is a big deal. It’s CGC’s primary service, to trust a third party grader. Honesty, the thing that concerns me the most is that it’s a high grade Golden Age book. If this was a modern, I could over look it (but still be a little worried). For high value books / rare books and for what they charge this is unacceptable (if true).

Edit: Gambling is one thing. A book at this level is not worth the risk for such a small return (relatively $$$ speaking). 

Edited by Xenosmilus

On 3/11/2023 at 10:18 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I highly doubt that there was a mutual “settlement” for lack of better words. I agree with most of your statements but I would argue it is a big deal. It’s CGC’s primary service, to trust a third party grader. Honesty, the thing that concerns me the most is that it’s a high grade Golden Age book. If this was a modern, I could over look it (but still be a little worried). For high value books / rare books and for what they charge this is unacceptable (if true).

What makes you doubt there was a settlement? I'm aware of several just from submitting for others. I can think of three different submissions where a book went from blue to purple or blue to green. Two of them the owner of the books (crazy, but one person had it happen twice)  told me he called and something was worked out settlement wise. 

Not everyone that submits books to CGC also is a board member that posts up. I would guess that the great majority, the vast majority of people that have submitted books to CGC have never visited or joined this discussion board. And there are boardies that have never submitted a book to CGC. They just like the forum and discussions.

Unless the "victim" comes forward and says they got screwed, I think this is just another Friday thread. A lot of assumptions, lots of drama.  

On 3/11/2023 at 10:37 PM, Xenosmilus said:

I posted this Wednesday! ^^. It's concerning either if there was a settlement or wasn't. 

You don't have to post on Friday to have Friday thread LOL. And I consider starting a "Friday thread" an honor! But I believe we have reached a point where we actually both agree <3  I concede it is a concern. I'm just a lot less concerned than most - at least most participating in this discussion. 

People grading are still human. Even if - and I accept it likely - it's the same book and a cut coupon was missed  - my view is so what?  If humans are involved you can't make things fool proof.  The bedrock of third party grading and encapsulation is that "the grade is the grade".  The grade is  near universally accepted. Unless mistakes are so common that it undermines that foundational idea, then I don't see the point of obsessing over the rare mistake. Don't crack it open - and it is what it is. The book could have been a CGC 9.6 for eternity - until someone unwisely decided it could be better. WHO expects a 9.8 on a GA book? With a partial erasure on the front cover?? 

Third party grading and encapsulation is like referees in sports. Are they always right? Of course not. Are they necessary? Absolutely. Otherwise it's just adults in silly uniforms arguing balls and strikes, safe and out, catch or no catch. If people cannot accept the occasional mistake, just don't play the game.  Comics are still comics in a bag and board. Keep them that way. 

On 3/11/2023 at 11:58 PM, Tony S said:

I'm just a lot less concerned than most

To re-stress my initial point, this was a  High Grade Golden Age Book.  I agree, people do make mistakes but... they shouldn't on High grade Golden Age books. There should be higher standards in my view and should be graded by seasoned veteran graders.2c  Hence why are people paying more for higher value comics?  If that is not the case then why should CGC charge more?

Edited by Xenosmilus
grammer

On 3/11/2023 at 11:09 PM, Xenosmilus said:

To re-stress my initial point, this was a  High Grade Golden Age Book.  I agree, people do make mistakes but... they shouldn't on High grade Golden Age books. There should be higher standards in my view and should be graded by seasoned veteran graders.2c  Hence why are people paying more for higher value comics?  If that is not the case then why should CGC charge more?

Even on high grade GA books, mistakes can still be made. Mistakes can be made by the best.  

As for "why are people paying more for higher value comics?"  Because 3rd party grading and encapsulation is a VALUE ADDED service.  The book is worth more graded than it is raw. And the more it is worth the more value added by 3rd party grading and encapsulation. 

But mistakes can still happen....regardless of experience and how much you pay.  

On 3/12/2023 at 12:20 AM, Tony S said:

As for "why are people paying more for higher value comics?"  Because 3rd party grading and encapsulation is a VALUE ADDED service.  The book is worth more graded than it is raw. And the more it is worth the more value added by 3rd party grading and encapsulation. 

But mistakes can still happen....regardless of experience and how much you pay.  

Mistakes do happen... Trust me, I make mistakes all the time. I own them though but that's how you establish trust!  Ugh, I go through this at work everyday so it goes beyond CGC for me!:roflmao:People cover up the most stupid things it's frustrating!:pullhair: Just say you f-ed up and move on!

On 3/9/2023 at 8:54 PM, Tony S said:

Most importantly, you have to have balls the size of King Kong's to crack a 1947 CGC 9.6 book hoping for 9.8. That is truly a high risk / high reward gamble. The owner lost this time. 

That would be Steve Ritter, this is part of his business model.  I can see the logic, buy the super clean 9.6 which on another day might get a 9.8, clean it a little, shoot for the 9.8 on a walkthrough and it's maybe a double down the road, worst case in his mind is same grade.  Having a relationship with Matt, he was probably made whole after the CL auction result.  Having the coupon miss multiple times in CGC's small GA grading group is not a good look for that team.  Dealers are big submitters, you don't want a guy like Ritter talking this up to the other guys.

Ritter bought a Cap 4 6.0 on HA in November as well, CPR'ed it into a 5.5, which just washed more or less on CL.  He's done the same for some Promise books and has shown net gains.

Edited by Dr. Love