• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Monkey Prince Red Envelope Variant…does the envelope get encapsulated?
1 1

5 posts in this topic

i’ve seen the Monkey Prince Red Envelope Variant on Ebay with the same label whether its in the envelope or not.  Looks like the envelope sticker is sliced which makes sense so the grader can see the actual comic (like a poly bag), but should the envelope be encapsulated as well?  If i sent mine in, should i remove the bag?  is the resale value enhance if its still got its envelope?

Since you’re asking random internet strangers for help, maybe try to make it easier on them by posting a picture or giving a link

On 3/9/2023 at 5:12 PM, revat said:

Since you’re asking random internet strangers for help, maybe try to make it easier on them by posting a picture or giving a link

That…. Is a good idea.

without envelope (clearly see the staples): https://www.ebay.com/itm/314214400558?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=zkx1qc6ar_6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=kq_j_vditrq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

with envelope (no staples plus you can see gold seal on the back): https://www.ebay.com/itm/374227878933?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=uzblmb0cqgg&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=kq_j_vditrq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Historically, I would have said that CGC would discard the envelope as it is not affixed to the comic in any way. However, there's some recent precedent indicating that they're willing to reinsert books into DC's new envelopes and slab them thusly. That's expressly not the case for traditional polybags.

As for how the market wants these things handled? Who knows, too new for long-term anything to be determined yet. How CGC approaches these as more are produced going forward may have an impact, but who knows.