• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I've Made A Huge Mistake : Instant Regret of Sales, Trades or Buys You've Made
2 2

93 posts in this topic

Let's hear your stories of Sales, Trades or Buys you've made that you instantly regretted. NO stories of "If only I Purchased that Comic instead of that Comic off the Newstand/LCS Forty years ago I'd be a millionaire." They have to be head slapping, WTF did I just do that stories. 

Mine is I traded my First Print TMNT 1-4 mid grade set that I purchased in the late 80s to a dealer for a high grade Avengers 4. I walked out of the store and sat in my car and was like why did I just do that (it was my love of Kirby and Cap and my love of TMNT was winding down) Avengers was more mature of a comic taste I guess which is why I went for it. Every time I looked at I just thought of my Turtles comics.

What's yours?

On 3/10/2023 at 5:44 PM, Ken Aldred said:

That said, Avengers 4 is a brilliant Silver Age comic.

I didn't really have a connection to Avengers really at all. I was more a DC and X-Men guy. But the ability to own a classic Kirby cover was definitely a Memphisto level of temptation. But I was and have always been a Turtles guy and the trade has always made me now go with what speaks to me personally in a historical sense rather than owning a key that I really didn't have any connection too.

I've always traded up and I've never regretted the books I've traded into. But I have given up many secondary keys that I miss and don't think I'll ever replace, given how expensive they've all gotten. 

The ones I miss the most were FF 2, 3 and 4, which I traded towards an FF1. 

I also really miss my FF52 and Avengers 57 that I traded away.... The FF52 went towards a JIM83. I can't remember what I traded the Avengers 57 for. 

On 3/10/2023 at 9:00 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Lay back cause this is going to hurt. Technically I'm still thankful I did it. Yes it is possible to be thankful and tempted with regret.

Traded silver surfer 4 cgc 8.0 that was cream to off-white pages that shook around in the case. Cost $399 shipped 

AND

ASM #129 cgc 4.5 blue label. Cost $445 shipped 

For these two statues. The hulk vs Wolvie for me, and the Phoenix for my brother. Merry Christmas to us.

3258475_Full_Rev.jpg

IMG_20230310_195530941.jpg

9DCEE892-672E-4480-A7CE-1800CDCE3863.jpeg.0f72b94b70daa58d55aded2d3b894884.jpeg

1D5AF38C-914E-434C-8CF7-6772D0F44187.jpeg.782e7cf4e2b1a19984d186fee83a3c7d.jpeg

My regret was buying this falsely advertised raw ASM 700 book a little while back!  I was just getting back into comics at the time and this dude was offloading his collecting, which most were junk, but he said he had this one kept away and pulled it out for me saying it is the rare Ditko book.  I thought the cover was cool and giving the guy the benefit of the doubt, I paid $200 and took it straight to LCS for grading.  LCS looked it over, did a quick check on the internet, and confirmed it was the book.  A month goes by and I got my submission back with the NG label and note saying coverless copy - felt like such and insufficiently_thoughtful_person and the guy at the LCS was shocked too.  Needless to say, I became much more thorough from that point forward... 

I still keep the book around as a reminder to myself of how my "come back" began -- good times! 

ASM 700 NG.png

Hulk 181 NM, Daredevil 158, and a handful of others for $35 dollars in trade to a comic dealer, used for a stack of quarter comics that were beat up with smurf stamps on every one.

I didn't regret it right away, because I was too young, naive, and poor to know otherwise.

Edited by bronze_rules

Thankfully, not too many regrets.  At least related to comics.

1) When I first got into CGC and Signature Series and elected to have a bunch of keys signed (ASM300, SS1).  As soon as the books came back, I immediately wished I had an unsigned copy.  Unfortunately, the prices got so high that it became difficult to get unsigned copies in the grades I wanted.  I managed to get the ASM300, but I still need to get an SS1 at some point.

2) JSC signed SDCC variants of ASM800.  I thought it would be so cool to have a full set (I think it's like 9 covers) of JSC SDCC store exclusive variants signed.  So I had a facilitator get the books for me.  Little did I know, but JSC charged an extra $20/book for CGC submissions.  The facilitator called and informed me and instead of walking away from the deal, I just sucked it up and paid the price.  A part of me thought it would be inconvenient to waste the facilitators time and I also didn't want raw signed books, so I just paid the difference.  The whole experience with JSC's team and his pricing left a sour taste in my mouth and I regretted the purchase immediately.  As soon as the books came back, I didn't even want to see them so I listed some of them for sale.  To this day, I still have 2 or 3 of the books that I don't want just tucked away from the rest of the books so I never see them.

Books that I was instantly sorry for selling were Batman 2 and 5, Superman 4 and ASM 14.

Detective 31 is a book I regret not buying at a LCS when I had the money. I never saw such a cool comic book. I still remember when that happened, on the opening night for the movie Willow. I was persuaded not to buy it because I'd be broke. But only until next weeks paycheck!

On 3/10/2023 at 9:35 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

9DCEE892-672E-4480-A7CE-1800CDCE3863.jpeg.0f72b94b70daa58d55aded2d3b894884.jpeg

1D5AF38C-914E-434C-8CF7-6772D0F44187.jpeg.782e7cf4e2b1a19984d186fee83a3c7d.jpeg

lol I know haha 

in retrospect, the Hulk vs Wolvie statue sells now for $900, and the Phoenix $300. 

Technically, I could still have what I had put into the comics back, the $400 for SS#4 and $475 for ASM#129. doh!

I thought that Christmas it was nice presents, so I'm not complaining, and yet in retrospect I'm not sure if it was a wise decision. :roflmao: 

Not instant regret, but I bought this book advertised as a VF+ 8.5 back in the day on these forums.  Prior to receiving the book I got a PM from another boardie that the seller cracked out a CGC 8.0

Being overly principled at the time,  I took offence that the seller didn’t disclose that it was previously slabbed.  I returned the book even though it probably was an 8.5:tonofbricks:

AF9D8A76-A3E2-47DA-817D-5CA4CF58D521.jpeg.ca29703d05b9b105cb295339b801b449.jpeg

On 3/11/2023 at 8:02 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not instant regret, but I bought this book advertised as a VF+ 8.5 back in the day on these forums.  Prior to receiving the book I got a PM from another boardie that the seller cracked out a CGC 8.0

Being overly principled at the time,  I took offence that the seller didn’t disclose that it was previously slabbed.  I returned the book even though it probably was an 8.5:tonofbricks:

AF9D8A76-A3E2-47DA-817D-5CA4CF58D521.jpeg.ca29703d05b9b105cb295339b801b449.jpeg

I purchased a asm129 9.4 on the boards, the seller took forever to ship out, i was so annoyed with the seller (and all the stories on why they hadn't shipped) that i sold the book as soon as i received it. i think i sold it for less than i paid as i was so angry with the seller i wanted nothing to do with that book.

I sold my Fantastic Four 48 CGC 9.2 with white pages for $2,000 to buy a rare painting years ago. This was before the Disney merger and I thought the FF48 would stay stagnant and I would buy another high grade copy.  Of course the book ballooned and I eventually tired of the painting and sold it - which I probably also should have kept (original water color by actor Peter Cushing). I now have a FF48 CGC 4.5 but will upgrade when I can - definitely not going to be able to afford a 9.2 though.

I do have regrets from time to time as I keep selling stuff to buy different stuff. The one that I think about the most, and where I have the most regret, is selling my Marvel Mystery Comics 84. It was a nice looking copy and I still use a snip from it for my icon here. I made a bit of a profit on it but man I would love to have that book back instead. Good looking copies just don't come up all that often. The other book I think about the most is I had a Stan Lee signed Avengers 1 that I sold a few months after his death when prices seemed to be spiking. I wanted to keep it, but it is hard to say no to an offer that was double what I paid for it less than a year earlier. I figured I would just get a higher grade signed copy when the prices dipped again and boy was that ever a misjudgment. 

Other than that I am ok with most deals. I may make a bit or even lose a bit but I really don't worry about things aside from trying to continually learn from the process. 

I've made some intensely stupid trades in years past, trading major keys for kewl sketches and other dopey carp like that.

I've also sold countless books before their price spikes.

I wonder if I've learned any lessons 🤔. Probably not.