• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

recent opinions on eBay International Shipping, replacement for Global Shipping Program?
1 1

25 posts in this topic

Ebay recently replaced its Global Shipping Program (GSP) with eBay International Shipping (EIS). EIS has some limitations: it doesn't currently support combined orders for more than one item, and it didn't support sales over $500, although apparently that was recently raised to $2500.

We've never used GSP, we handle our own international shipping. I've heard mixed to negative reviews in the past from eBay buyers about their experiences with GSP, but that was several years ago.

Any eBay buyers here outside the US have recent experience with shipments sent via either GSP or EIS? Do you like it or dislike it when a US seller uses GSP or the newer EIS?

Edited by mycomicshop

I haven't used GSP/EIS in recent years, we are fortunate to have good buddies who will take the box in the USA and ship to us or allow us to pick up at several US shows we attend a year.

The biggest issue with GSP in years past was they built in fees that were astronomical, from having to double ship (as it went from the seller to a hub, inspected, repacked and then sent from the hub to Canada).  After that they built in 13%++ for duties/customs/handling even if items didn't qualify, it wasn't uncommon to see a cheaper item with shipping being 3or4x what it should be for shipping and fees.  We stopped buying from anyone who offered GSP as their option.  If you can continue to ship in house it will definitely be a benefit to your buyers as it will be cheaper than going through EIS/GSP.

Side note will you guys be at C2E2 in a few weeks? @mycomicshop

On 3/13/2023 at 8:24 AM, mycomicshop said:

Ebay recently replaced its Global Shipping Program (GSP) with eBay International Shipping (EIS). EIS has some limitations: it doesn't currently support combined orders for more than one item, and it didn't support sales over $500, although apparently that was recently raised to $2500.

We've never used GSP, we handle our own international shipping. I've heard mixed to negative reviews in the past from eBay buyers about their experiences with GSP, but that was several years ago.

Any eBay buyers here outside the US have recent experience with shipments sent via either GSP or EIS? Do you like it or dislike it when a US seller uses GSP or the newer EIS?

I am a buyer at Ebay and i am happy with the change . Already purchased 5 products with Ebay International. 

One Comic book 

Four Sealed sport card boxes

- I paid less shipping for all products. Gsp was more expensive. 

- I dodged all the import taxes 

- All my items arrived safe and before the expected time

I don't care if i can't combine items. Combining shipping with GSP was extremly expensive anyways

Despite having bought a surprisingly large amount of stuff from Europe in the past few years, my only experience with GSP was one Europe-to-US shipment that required shipping costs about 2.5 times what reasonable (heh, well... "reasonable", anyway) international shipping should have been, then was misrouted by the GSP importer. Twice. I consider it something of a miracle that it reached me, and a testament to the shipper's packaging skills that it reached me intact.

As I work in logistics and statistics, I know that a sample size of one isn't very helpful, but... honestly, based on other people's reviews and my limited experience, just about any replacement for GSP is likely to be a step in the right direction. But arranging for your own international shipping is almost certainly the better choice.

On 3/13/2023 at 10:30 AM, Iceman399 said:

I haven't used GSP/EIS in recent years, we are fortunate to have good buddies who will take the box in the USA and ship to us or allow us to pick up at several US shows we attend a year.

The biggest issue with GSP in years past was they built in fees that were astronomical, from having to double ship (as it went from the seller to a hub, inspected, repacked and then sent from the hub to Canada).  After that they built in 13%++ for duties/customs/handling even if items didn't qualify, it wasn't uncommon to see a cheaper item with shipping being 3or4x what it should be for shipping and fees.  We stopped buying from anyone who offered GSP as their option.  If you can continue to ship in house it will definitely be a benefit to your buyers as it will be cheaper than going through EIS/GSP.

Side note will you guys be at C2E2 in a few weeks? @mycomicshop

That's ONE issue.  Didn't the Global Shipping Centre also unpack everything sent to it and then repack it (shoddy at best) resulting in numerous complaints of broken items and missing pieces/components etc etc?

On 3/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, pemart1966 said:

That's ONE issue.  Didn't the Global Shipping Centre also unpack everything sent to it and then repack it (shoddy at best) resulting in numerous complaints of broken items and missing pieces/components etc etc?

On 3/13/2023 at 10:24 AM, mycomicshop said:

Don’t surrender your shipping to a third party 

On 3/13/2023 at 11:43 AM, pemart1966 said:

Not my packages. As a seller I had no problems with GSP. On the other hand I’m sure it was overpriced for the buyer. 

It's been a disaster for foreign buyers.  I will not buy from anyone who uses any iteration of eBay shipping.  Too many stories of shoddy packaging; damaged items; items missing components; unwarranted/illegal duty etc etc

Continue with your current shipping method.

Conan, when I was actively selling a high volume of items through eBay I utilized the GSP.  I readily admit that the fees that were passed on to the buyer were unusually high.  However, ultimately it was their choice to buy the item or not.

The one thing that the Global Shipping Program offered was the assumption of liability upon receipt of the parcel.  I found this extremely helpful during the pandemic and the disruption of global shipping operations.  If a country kept an item in customs, eBay's GSP assumed liability.  They wound up paying the buyer and I was made whole so long as there was documented proof of my shipping to and their receipt of the parcel to their location.    If the item became lost after they received it, that was between the buyer and eBay's GSP.

What WAS fascinating was that certain items were illegal or barred from entry in certain countries.  For instance, Australia has a customs policy where items related to the harvesting of shellfish is barred from entry.  Whenever a person from Australia tried buying a Mother of Pearl piece of jewelry from any of my accounts, it went to the Global Shipping center and would be processed but denied entry.  Global Entry made both buyer and seller whole and then sold the item domestically through one of their own outlets over eBay

Basically what it comes down to is liability.  I am unfamiliar with the new service but so long as the seller is continually protected in the way that Global Shipping provided, I would utilize it.   Before the eBay GSP, I always found that there were too many people gaming the system and without it, I would have never offered any item outside of the USA when using eBay

Thanks. This explains why a Japanese buyer wasn’t able to make an offer on a $8000 item. Dang it. 

On 3/13/2023 at 12:13 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Any service that repackages the books should be avoided at all costs.  How anyone was ok with the GSP doing this is beyond me. 

Because they didn’t. At least not my Priority boxes. 

On 3/13/2023 at 12:16 PM, ThothAmon said:

Because they didn’t. At least not my Priority boxes. 

They opened and poorly repacked a slabbed NM 98, resulting in the book being damaged in transit.   Pretty annoying.

I will give a shoot out to their resolution center though.  The seller got paid, I got a full refund....and got to keep the book.  :acclaim:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

the only way that 3rd party shippers can make money is to remove most or all of the packing, reship it, and pocket the difference. if it gets damaged or destroyed, insurance will cover it.

it all comes down to money as usual.

the seller got paid, the shipping company got paid and the buyer gets money back from insurance so supposedly a win win for all. the product itself is just along for the ride.

there was a 3rd party shipper in the midwest US that was notorious for this. cant remember the name of it now.

how sad that this is what shipping is these days, and way overpriced too lets not forget that.

a seed company wanted to charge me $6.00 us to ship a pack of seeds from colorado to new york. you can stick that in an envelope and put a stamp on it lol

On 3/13/2023 at 9:24 AM, mycomicshop said:

GSP  didn't allow combined orders either

As a seller I like it as it's cheaper to ship to the distribution center (local vs used to ship to east coast)

On 3/13/2023 at 12:52 PM, jsilverjanet said:

As a seller I like it as it's cheaper to ship to the distribution center (local vs used to ship to east coast)

Combining orders is essential to buying from MCS

On 3/13/2023 at 11:52 AM, jsilverjanet said:

I've shipped a bunch of combined orders through GSP without a problem, but maybe I broke the rules. Or did they allow combined shipping to the distribution center, but not combined to the end buyer?