• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

It's raining Byrne!
1 1

59 posts in this topic

Sometimes you just need to go with your gut... was going to toss in a last minute bid of 25K for the 130 page but talked myself out of it... stupid... was one of the last two bidders for one of the spec Al Williamson Star Wars strips last year and didn't push it an extra 2K for the same reason... the highs and lows of collecting I guess

On 3/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, J.Sid said:

Could have been the tape, but IMO ending the auction at midnight ET on a Saturday night probably was more of a factor.

Agree, not the tape - the 130 page didn't have tape, the 124 page did but masking tape can be replaced with acid-free for not much so not too relevant on an expensive page....

On 3/19/2023 at 2:55 PM, J.Sid said:

Could have been the tape, but IMO ending the auction at midnight ET on a Saturday night probably was more of a factor.

It's the eBay factor. People have only so much confidence bidding high on original art.I'm almost certain these pages would've sold for more with HA.

On 3/30/2023 at 8:35 AM, fsumavila said:

strong result for this, but it's an excellent page from a key story. Congrats to the seller!

Byrne's sketchy inks on himself tho... grrr. It must have been ego, because there were plenty of inkers aside from Austin who made Byrne shine... this Dan Green page in the current HA auction is a good example: image.thumb.png.854bb9d5e40e90ed6011b32971b89848.png

On 3/30/2023 at 9:15 AM, gumbydarnit said:

That is a nicely inked Avengers page!

Always loved how flashbacks were denoted by rounded panel corners... like the underappreciated John Costanza's lettering, too. With Bryne doing breakdowns vs full pencils, the right hand tear and the page being solely villain content, this might end up at a somewhat reasonable price.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 3/30/2023 at 6:11 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Byrne's sketchy inks on himself tho... grrr. It must have been ego, because there were plenty of inkers aside from Austin who made Byrne shine... this Dan Green page in the current HA auction is a good example: image.thumb.png.854bb9d5e40e90ed6011b32971b89848.png

Love that page.

The Dan Green inked issues from that run are outstanding. 

On 3/30/2023 at 9:15 AM, gumbydarnit said:

That is a nicely inked Avengers page!

Not a fan of Byrne inking himself on that AF #12 page...looks very loose/hurried to me.

That said, I'm not a fan of that Dan Green-inked Avengers page either. :fear: I feel like a lot of the "Byrne-ness" is lost under those inks. 

On 3/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, delekkerste said:

Not a fan of Byrne inking himself on that AF #12 page...looks very loose/hurried to me.

That said, I'm not a fan of that Dan Green-inked Avengers page either. :fear: I feel like a lot of the "Byrne-ness" is lost under those inks. 

You forget to drink your coffee this morning? :)

On 3/30/2023 at 4:03 PM, J.Sid said:

You forget to drink your coffee this morning? :)

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...Byrne's clean lines are just overpowered by the scratchy inking IMO. I mean, it looks to me like a slightly more polished version of Janson inking Simonson on Battlestar Galactica circa 1980. Not saying it's terrible, just that what I see below doesn't scream John Byrne to me (or to others I've asked, for that matter, some of whom were far less charitable about the inking job than I was :blush:):

image.thumb.png.e09fc46774451ffb442cc5081c65ef38.png

Edited by delekkerste

On 3/30/2023 at 4:19 PM, delekkerste said:

Different strokes for different folks, I guess...Byrne's clean lines are just overpowered by the scratchy inking IMO. I mean, it looks to me like a slightly more polished version of Janson inking Simonson on Battlestar Galactica circa 1980. Not saying it's terrible, just that what I see below doesn't scream John Byrne to me (or to others I've asked, for that matter, some of whom were far less charitable about the inking job than I was :blush:):

image.thumb.png.e09fc46774451ffb442cc5081c65ef38.png

Keep beating it up, you are helping my chances 😆