• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How many years on average when you overpay…tec225

10 posts in this topic

I’ve been wanting to add a tec225 to my collection for a while, sold some books and decided to pull the trigger. I may have moved a bit too quickly and most likely overpaid.

Curious how many years, if ever, it would take  to recoup my investment?  Hate to throw out numbers but let’s say hypothetically, I spent $5k on a 4.5?

thanks in advance. 

To reassure you, a Tec 225 4.5 might already be approaching a 5k fmv in the near future.  A 3.5 went for 3,600 today (3/15/23). Also, you get the enjoyment of owning the book which provides value. Congrats on a great book.

Screenshot_20230315-183846.png

Edited by Northwest

On 3/15/2023 at 8:44 PM, 10centcomics said:

Yeah the book seems to be around 1K per point. So a 4.5 might be worth around $4500. 5K isn't a gross overpayment. I wouldn't worry too much about it, especially if it's just for your collection. I expect a DC key like this to steadily grow in value. 

Agreed - when it comes to older key issues in grades under 7.0, the "price per point" (PPP) is a solid way to value the books, and you can keep a good estimate on a range of values using "PPP" from other grades in more recent sales.

However, it is also true that people who use "price per point" in their bidding tend to like "easy-to-remember" numbers like $1,000 per point... and it can be hard for books that "settle" around $1,000 per point to move to $1,200 or $1,500 because it's not as quick to do the math in your head.  CGC 4.5 = $4,500 is an easy thought, while CGC 4.5 = $5,000 is $1,111 per point, and people might not be inclined to bid more than $4,500 for a 4.5 because they know it's "over" the number they have in mind.

In other words, midgrade books can get "stuck" at a "nice round number" associated with the CGC graded and have a hard time breaking away.

It also happens around $100 per point, where other midgrade books like a CGC 6.0 might get "stuck" at $600, CGC 5.5 at $550, etc.

Edited by valiantman

On 3/15/2023 at 3:28 PM, BlackOut21 said:

I’ve been wanting to add a tec225 to my collection for a while, sold some books and decided to pull the trigger. I may have moved a bit too quickly and most likely overpaid.

Curious how many years, if ever, it would take  to recoup my investment?  Hate to throw out numbers but let’s say hypothetically, I spent $5k on a 4.5?

thanks in advance. 

It would help to see the book, but it's not a common book. I wouldn't stress over it, GPA seems to suggest you paid close to FMV. GOD BLESS ... 

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

The taint of overpaying can really stick around if that is all you are reminded of when you look at the book. Hopefully you don't feel that way. There are some books I overpaid for because I didn't have the patience to wait out and see how the market was treating them.

Whether it accrues quickly or you're stuck playing the long game, I'd say you'd be a year or two before you will truly know where you're at on profitability. I am not familiar with the book by any means, but when it comes to my GA books, I made the commitment to the majority of my big books to hang onto them for 10 years. I sold off a lot of lower-tier GA books that I didn't buy well and felt reminded of that when I looked at them - I didn't want to wait and see what they would do, as I just didn't want the reminder. What's left are the ones I really enjoy and I seldom think about the price paid.

Edited by Dr. Balls

I concur with the what others have said and wouldn't sweat it.  This isn't a book that is going to zero, and with a long enough time frame you will easily get what you paid for it and probably much more. It doesn't seem to me that you overpaid by much at all, and it seems like a book you really wanted, AND when I buy books like that I usually end up overpaying to get the one I want.  Enjoy your purchase!