• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highest Graded Captain Marvel Adventures 1 on eBay

66 posts in this topic

On 3/23/2023 at 10:52 AM, buttock said:

Also, looking at past sales of great GA books makes me very sad.  

Is this another word for "clinically depressed"?

As a side note, I wonder how much glue you have to scrape off the spine to go from an 8.0 PLOD to a 5.0 Blue (while keeping a
"very minor amount of glue on spine of cover" notation). This is a very key threshold to know for all the flippers.

And I just assume that the page upgrade from Cream to Off-White to straight Off-White is the reward CGC gives you for paying all the resub fees.

On 3/23/2023 at 4:22 PM, Crowzilla said:

As a side note, I wonder how much glue you have to scrape off the spine to go from an 8.0 PLOD to a 5.0 Blue (while keeping a
"very minor amount of glue on spine of cover" notation). This is a very key threshold to know for all the flippers.

And I just assume that the page upgrade from Cream to Off-White to straight Off-White is the reward CGC gives you for paying all the resub fees.

When was it originally slabbed? CGC loosened their page quality standards in late 2005 (and made it known at that time). Based on the books I've submitted and the recently-slabbed books I've purchased, I believe that they must have loosened them again a couple of years ago even though they haven't said so.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 3/23/2023 at 7:11 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Based on the books I've submitted and the recently-slabbed books I've purchased, I believe that they must have loosened them again a couple of years ago even though they haven't said so.

Isn't PQ determination considered by many here as being even much more inconsistent to determine than the condition grading is for CGC?  (shrug) 

On 3/23/2023 at 11:44 PM, lou_fine said:

Isn't PQ determination considered by many here as being even much more inconsistent to determine than the condition grading is for CGC?  (shrug) 

I wouldn't know how to measure the consistency of the page quality determination. I suppose I could use an OWL card to evaluate a large number of books and then look for a correlation. Contrary to what some people have stated, there does seem to be a pretty good correlation between whiteness of the paper and suppleness, so I'm OK with going by the color.

To run the same kind of experiment with books graded in earlier eras, I'd have to buy slabbed books from those time periods and crack them out (which I'm not about to do).

This video makes it seem like page quality evaluation is fairly subjective.