• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Marvel UK Weeklies with free gifts
2 2

10 posts in this topic

Hi CGC ,

The demand for Uk weeklies and their original art is on the rise , However the vast majority of these issues were distributed from newsagents and were delivered along with newspapers and as such had the address written somewhere on the issue (usually in the corner of the front or the back cover).. Does CGC take this into account when grading ? 

Also it was very common for these issues to include free gifts , anything from , free stickers, transfers, masks, boomerangs etc but also figures , toys and badges sellotaped to the front cover . I have a collection of these issues I would like graded . Is there a policy & procedure directive that CGC has that I can look at before submitting ?  Given that anything attached to the front cover of a non uniform shape would make it difficult to encapsulate , but that removing said gift would cause massive damage to the comic itself can you advise on how to proceed ? 

I include a photo of a UK weekly  as an example.

Best wishes, and thankyou for your time ,

Richard Waddington 

rw_comics

free gift 1.jpg

• Administrator
Hello again! From the Graders:

The affect of Distribution markings/writing on a book is determined by size and location. A high-grade book with small and/or unobtrusive markings can still achieve a grade of 9.6-9.8. As the markings grow larger and/or more obtrusive there may be a slight downgrade for such, but generally not too significant.

Concerning the free gifts:
If the gift is a flat paper or cardboard item, like stickers, masks, boomerangs, etc. it will be encapsulated with the book (placed inside the book). For these items, the book will generally be graded Qualified incomplete if the gift is not included with the submission.

For the plastic figures or toys attached to the covers, unfortunately due to the design of our holders we are unable to encapsulate items with the gifts still attached. However, when grading a book where the gift has been removed, we will not Qualify the book as incomplete, but we will note in the key comments that the book was originally "distributed with free gift (not included.)"

Thankyou very much for your answer it is much appreciated.

Additional questions , does the condition of the free gift affect the grade of the comic in anyway ? 

At the moment in the UK the condition of the gift can be more important than the condition of the comic and prices can reflect such . (I refer to the flat paper gifts , stickers, transfers, paper, masks, boomerangs etc not the toys, figures, badges taped to the covers) 

Also for things like transfers included with the comic would I need to leave special instructions if choosing the cleaning and pressing pre-grade option , as obviously a hot press would damage everything ?

Once again many thanks for your time and best wishes,

Richard. 

Thank you for the answers, but I too would like to know how an iron-on transfer could be included if you plan to have the book pressed without then transfer also being pressed, which would ruin the transfer and book, or them not being separated and lost. I have a #1 and 2 #2s in for pressing and grading now, but do not have the transfers to worry about this, but would like to know if I ever get those transfers to add. I do have the stickers for #3 but still need the MWOM #3 book.