• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful custom Avengers action figures

18 posts in this topic

Yeah, really nice. But when they say custom, do they mean they painted them from kit action figures or did them from scratch. And if they did them from scratch, would that mean they are licensed?

He starts with other action figures and repaints, retools, etc to make the custom figure. They are not licensed.

They are very nice, but I can't imagine that it will be allowed to go through - he's ripping off licensed products. eBay does a lot of things wrong, but protecting intellectual property is an area that they do right.

I don't think he's breaking any laws. This should be covered under "fan art". If he were mass producing these then there might be an issue. However, it is similar to someon selling a drawing or cover recration they have done.

I don't think he's breaking any laws. This should be covered under "fan art". If he were mass producing these then there might be an issue. However, it is similar to someon selling a drawing or cover recration they have done.

Fan art gets pulled one in a while. I was bidding on a piece of Superman art and it was pulled through Vero. (You'd think Warner Brothers would have bigger concerns than a guy selling a 8.5x11 Superman sketch for under $10 confused-smiley-013.gif) I contacted the artist and he told me that sometimes they get him, sometimes they don't.

I agree. In fact when you go to 'Action Figures' Ebay puts 'custom' as a 'related search' right up front, on click. Custom figures are a major part of that hobby.

A couple of years ago I had a custom built model listing yanked from Ebay pretty fast. I couldn't understand why. Looking back I think it was because I used the Superman logo in my pic and not the model itself. 'Crashing' a model kit or action figure into something else is pure fan art imho.

SMcustom.jpg

I was thinking the same thing, that it would be similar to someone selling a sketc/drawing/painting they'd done of a superhero. Evidently they get pulled, too, so go figure.

Giant-Man was probably a 10" Superman Justice League Unlimited Figure.

123136C.jpg

Oh what the heck, the Avengers were Marvel's answer to the Justice League anyways, it is only fitting that he uses the JLA to make up the Avengers!