• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED --- Surfing Alien's honey pot of Golden Age vintage paperbacks and more...20% off anything remaining until closing at 12PM tonight.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

On 3/24/2023 at 4:13 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Another beauty by DeSoto

Walk A Wicked Mile Robert Hansen Popular Library 774     $10

Very good. Solid spine, has slight slant. Pages slightly uneven but still tight in the binding and supple. Light readers crease but no other significant creasing. A nicely presenting copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

On 3/24/2023 at 4:26 PM, Surfing Alien said:

The Hangman's Whip Mignon G. Eberhart Popular Library 293      $20

Classic vintage Popular Library mystery novel with a wonderful GGA pulp style cover by Rudolph Belarski

Very Good. Binding is solid and tight with slight lean. Light creases and overall wear. A very nicely  presenting copy of a tough black cover vintage Popular Library paperback

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

On 3/24/2023 at 4:31 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Macamba Lilla Van Saher Popular Library 233      $20

Classic Bare Breasted GGA cover by Rudolph Belarski

Very Good/Very Good+ Solid square binding. The book appears very lightly read. Some very light surface creases and edgewear. A very nice presenting copy of a vintage Popular Library paperback

image.png.94cdf89da00582e8b02d8de1011bcf88.png

image.png.76c9cd0fd3795260518e42e525fbf07d.png

On 3/25/2023 at 5:36 PM, Surfing Alien said:

The Simulacra Philip K. MR. Ace F-301   A true 1st edition of this novel.                    $20

Nice Ed Emsh Cover Art

Very Good/Very Good plus. Solid straight spine, hint of a readers crease. Pages tight and supple - glossy, only very light wear. A very attractive copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take all these.  And backup on the Triffids if it falls through.

Cry Hard Cry Fast John D. MacDonald Popular Library 675                 $30

A scarce 1st edition of one of MacDonald's early novels and a very fragile production it is. Notoriously difficult in decent shape.

Gorgeous Raymond Johnson GGA covers, front and back.

Very Good. Glossy copy with white pages that appears lightly read.  Spine is slightly slanted, some unevenness of the pages but they are tight and virtually no creasing and only slight edgewear. One page inside is torn but all there. Popular Library's from this period are usually heavily scratched on the covers but this one has minimal scratching. An exceptional condition copy of this one.

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Switching gears to some Good Girl books starting with this Maguire masterpiece:

The Woman Who Rode Away D. H. Lawrence Berkley Books G-59           $30   Sold to goldust40

Incredible Robert Maguire bondage/torture/sacrifice cover

Very Good/Near Fine   Would be Near Fine/Fine but for some spotting on page edges. Solid spine, pages tight and supple. Virtually no creasing or wear. An Exceptional copy of one of Maguire's best covers.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 5

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 5

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 5

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 10:39 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Switching gears to some Good Girl books starting with this Maguire masterpiece:

The Woman Who Rode Away D. H. Lawrence Berkley Books G-59           $30

Incredible Robert Maguire bondage/torture/sacrifice cover

Very Good/Near Fine   Would be Near Fine/Fine but for some spotting on page edges. Solid spine, pages tight and supple. Virtually no creasing or wear. An Exceptional copy of one of Maguire's best covers.

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

Take

Swamp Sanctuary Bob McKnight Ace D-411   This is a pretty tough book for an Ace       $18  Sold to OtherEric

Great Robert Maguire backwoods swamp girl art. Those shorts! That gun!

Very Good.   Glossy. Solid spine is tight, square, has a bit of color flaking to spine edge or would grade higher.  Pages tight in binding and supple. Super light cover creasing and wear.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 3:47 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Swamp Sanctuary Bob McKnight Ace D-411   This is a pretty tough book for an Ace       $18

Great Robert Maguire backwoods swamp girl art. Those shorts! That gun!

Very Good.   Glossy. Solid spine is tight, square, has a bit of color flaking to spine edge or would grade higher.  Pages tight in binding and supple. Super light cover creasing and wear.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

:takeit:

Wild To Possess Gil Brewer Monarch 364                     $25  Sold to goldust40

If you haven't read Gil Brewer you really should. He's about as Hard Boiled as it gets, his women are quite memorable.

Robert Maguire's depiction here is one of his well known classics.

This copy is tough to grade because it has one flaw that keeps it from being spectacular. I'll call it Very Good - appears lightly read - highly glossy, has a crease down the front cover that doesn't break the color and two star stamps at top, otherwise only the slightest hints of wear.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 5

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 5

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 5

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 10:53 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Wild To Possess Gil Brewer Monarch 364                     $25

If you haven't read Gil Brewer you really should. He's about as Hard Boiled as it gets, his women are quite memorable.

Robert Maguire's depiction here is one of his well known classics.

This copy is tough to grade because it has one flaw that keeps it from being spectacular. I'll call it Very Good - appears lightly read - highly glossy, has a crease down the front cover that doesn't break the color and two star stamps at top, otherwise only the slightest hints of wear.

Picture 1 of 5

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5

Take

Make Mine Mavis William Ard Monarch 172             $18

PBO of this Lou Largo, PI, novel. A great read! 

Wonderful Lou Marchetti GGA cover

Very Good - solid square spine, pages tight and supple. Some light cover creasing mostly to the back, and edgewear. 

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

On 3/25/2023 at 5:25 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Avon Fantasy Reader 9 Classic Vintage Science Fiction/Fantasy Digest                $20

Fantastic good girl art cover of the The Flower Women by Clark Ashton Smith credited to Ann Cantor in the copyright office, however I, and other researchers I know, doubt she painted any covers at all.

Very Good - solid and complete with a strong spine and no missing pages - very slight rust on staples. Covers are otherwise barely creased and in nice shape, slight ding to upper right corner. Pages are tanning but still supple and very readable.

Picture 1 of 3

Picture 3 of 3

Picture 2 of 3

Take if still available. 

Women of Evil Wenzell Brown Monarch Books 293                     $50  Sold to TupennyConan

Stunning Harry Barton cover, I think by far my favorite Barton GGA cover, everything about it works for me.

About as Very Fine as it gets. Binding is square and tight. Colors are bright and glossy. Virtually no wear other than some tiny corner blunting, appears unread. Pages are off white and supple. Factory page edge staining is bright and immaculate. Small, neat original British distribution price sticker.  

A spectacular copy of a scarce vintage PB and a true condition rarity.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 7:08 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Women of Evil Wenzell Brown Monarch Books 293                     $50

Stunning Harry Barton cover, I think by far my favorite Barton GGA cover, everything about it works for me.

About as Very Fine as it gets. Binding is square and tight. Colors are bright and glossy. Virtually no wear other than some tiny corner blunting, appears unread. Pages are off white and supple. Factory page edge staining is bright and immaculate. Small, neat original British distribution price sticker.  

A spectacular copy of a scarce vintage PB and a true condition rarity.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take.

The Mating Cry A.E. Van Vogt, Galaxy Beacon 298          $45

Classic Whipping GGA cover by Gerald McConnel

Rebranding of the Van Vogt sci fi novel, "The House That Stood Still" with a salacious cover and blurb "I have come to pay my debt - in the way I discovered men prefer" !  A gorgeous copy.

Very Good plus/Near Fine. Solid square spine, pages tight and supple. Virtually no creasing or wear, spine has light indent from being opened. Has some musty odor and a pinkish stain on first page, likely from printing process - light spotting on page edges from storage.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Ok, going to kick back in with a doozy of a classic pb...

Confessions of a Psychiatrist Henry Louis Nixon Beacon B184         $50

One of the vintage pb's I call a "Fridge Magnet" book, because it is so famous outside of book circles that it can be found on Fridge Magnets and Postcards across the lands.

The hilarious GGA cover art is uncredited to date although one thing is pretty sure, that a Fay Wray publicity photo from "King Kong" was the tear sheet the artist used to concoct this sweet confection.

Very Good Plus to Near Fine qualities to the covers, has a little chipping on the inside pages so will call it a Very Good/Very Good Plus but it shows much better. I'm nit-picking here. Bold colors and glossy. Solid straight spine, pages tight, tanning, especially at edges but still supple. Small chip out of first page, some tips chipping a little. Very little wear other than some light surface creasing and edgewear. 

Picture 1 of 5

image.png.df86d390911334ffde57019cb09eced6.png

Picture 3 of 5

Picture 2 of 5