• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED --- Surfing Alien's honey pot of Golden Age vintage paperbacks and more...20% off anything remaining until closing at 12PM tonight.
1 1

114 posts in this topic

Paprika Eric Von Stroheim Beacon B157       $40

This uncredited classic bare breasted GGA cover has been considered a hot item since the first Hancer Price Guide was published.

Very Good plus/Near Fine. Bold colors and glossy. Solid straight spine, pages tight and supple. Very little wear other than some super light surface creasing and edgewear. A Very nice copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

The Brat Gil Brewer Gold Medal 708   An amazing copy of a 60+ year old book.         $25 Sold to TupennyConan

Stated second printing of this Paperback original/first edition by one of the best of the "Florida Writers"

Good girl art cover by Barye Phillips, "The King" of the paperback artists, as he was known by his fellow artists. Those shorts look like the ones on the Maguire cover "Swamp Sanctuary" I posted earlier...  Must be a Swamp Girl thing lol.

VERY FINE - appears unread - highly glossy and only the slightest hints of wear. A stunning copy of a very fragile, thin vintage paperback.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

Steal Big Lionel White Gold Medal #998 PBO 1st Ed 1st Print                     $25  Sold to goldust40

Robert Abbett GGA cover. Gold Medals are tough in great shape as it is and most of Lionel White's books appear well read because they were so popular in his time.

Lionel White is one of my favorite crime authors. He was a True Crime magazine editor for years before he wrote novels and must have picked up some magic from having read so much about the twisted ways of the underworld.

Very Good Plus.  Solid spine, pages still tight but uneven - only the lightest spine wear and surface wear, virtually no creasing - appears very lightly read. Pages slightly tanning but still supple. A nice copy.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/26/2023 at 2:21 AM, Surfing Alien said:

Steal Big Lionel White Gold Medal #998 PBO 1st Ed 1st Print                     $25

Robert Abbett GGA cover. Gold Medals are tough in great shape as it is and most of Lionel White's books appear well read because they were so popular in his time.

Lionel White is one of my favorite crime authors. He was a True Crime magazine editor for years before he wrote novels and must have picked up some magic from having read so much about the twisted ways of the underworld.

Very Good Plus.  Solid spine, pages still tight but uneven - only the lightest spine wear and surface wear, virtually no creasing - appears very lightly read. Pages slightly tanning but still supple. A nice copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take

The Lottery Shirley Jackson Lion Books #14       $45

I've been collecting Lion Books forever and all early Lions are tough but I've sought this edition out pretty hard and this was my best copy of this essential Sci-Fi/Horror book for years until I recently unearthed a better copy.

One of the most reprinted and "analyzed in English classes" stories of the 20th century.

Classic Herman Bischoff Pulp GGA cover of Tessie Hutchinson collecting her lottery prize :devil:

Very Good minus.  Solid tight spine and pages tight and supple with usual tanning and edge staining. Covers show moderate creasing and wear. The good girl art image is still appealing. A well presenting copy of a very scarce vintage paperback

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

On 3/25/2023 at 9:10 PM, Surfing Alien said:

The Brat Gil Brewer Gold Medal 708   An amazing copy of a 60+ year old book.         $25

Stated second printing of this Paperback original/first edition by one of the best of the "Florida Writers"

Good girl art cover by Barye Phillips, "The King" of the paperback artists, as he was known by his fellow artists. Those shorts look like the ones on the Maguire cover "Swamp Sanctuary" I posted earlier...  Must be a Swamp Girl thing lol.

VERY FINE - appears unread - highly glossy and only the slightest hints of wear. A stunning copy of a very fragile, thin vintage paperback.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take.

Tough Kid From Brooklyn Robert Mende Avon 382          $25  Sold to OuterboroGuy

This one has everything that I like. JD, GGA and great condition.

Beautiful Raymond Johnson Good Girl and the evocative Brooklyn Bridge/Waterfront background.

Very Good Plus/Near Fine    Tight binding pages super tight with only the slightest uneveness - paper is cream and supple. Cover is bold and bright - hint of a crease in the upper right, otherwise looks new and lamination is intact with only the slightest lifting. This would be tough to improve on.

Spoiler

Picture 1 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 3 of 4

Spoiler

Picture 2 of 4

Edited by Surfing Alien
Sold

On 3/25/2023 at 9:58 PM, Surfing Alien said:

Tough Kid From Brooklyn Robert Mende Avon 382          $25

This one has everything that I like. JD, GGA and great condition.

Beautiful Raymond Johnson Good Girl and the evocative Brooklyn Bridge/Waterfront background.

Very Good Plus/Near Fine    Tight binding pages super tight with only the slightest uneveness - paper is cream and supple. Cover is bold and bright - hint of a crease in the upper right, otherwise looks new and lamination is intact with only the slightest lifting. This would be tough to improve on.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Picture 2 of 4

Take

Last one for tonight but it is special for sure.

Nightmare Alley William Lindsay Gresham Signet 738             $60

Iconic James Avati cover styled after a Colleen Gray promo photo from the 1947 movie adaptation.

Probably the most memorable cover painted by one of the greatest vintage paperback artists.

This is the stated second printing, December 1949 inside. All three printings with this cover art are scarce in the marketplace in my experience. With 2 excellent movies, being Avati, and it just being an evocative painting, they don't get let go of.

Very Good minus/Very Good. Solid spine has slight slant, pages are uneven but tight in binding and supple.  Name written on first page. Cover very slightly pulled back but overall in great shape with minimal creasing. Lamination has slight losses but overall intact. An attractive copy of a vintage paperback that has become incredibly scarce in any condition.

Picture 1 of 6

Nightmare Alley William Lindsay Gresham Signet 738 Classic Avati GGA Pulp cover - Picture 2 of 6

Picture 4 of 6

Picture 3 of 6

Well I hoped to list a few more today but the honey-do list is long and the time is short but I am sure happy I tested the waters and glad to see interest in the stuff I like :headbang:   I will definitely do this again if everything here works out. I recently purchased over 500 higher grade paperbacks and am just starting to sort them out so there is nice stuff a-plenty in the wings.

I'll keep this thread open until 7PM this evening and as a token of my appreciation will give 20% off on anything remaining from here on out until close.

I will settle up with everyone after the close.

On 3/24/2023 at 3:27 PM, Surfing Alien said:

One more of these newer books then back to the Golden Age...

The She Devil Robert E. Howard Conan 1983 Ace 1st Edtion PB       $7

Sweet Jodi Penalva GGA cover

Very Good. Solid spine, pages tight and supple. Has a fair amount of creasing along spine but very little in the way of cover creases. A pretty nice copy.

Picture 1 of 4

Picture 3 of 4

Let’s throw this one on the pile at 20% off