• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Does an unverified signature bring down the grade?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Yes if you want blue label.  But the lower the grade the less the impact 

If you want green label the signatures are ignored 

On 3/28/2023 at 6:43 AM, KCOComics said:

A picture would be helpful. 

There are a number of factors to consider, as revat mentioned, but the short answer is yes.

Here are the pix. There are two signatures, cover and first page, which I think would further bring down the grade.

I really really prefer CGC but at least CBCS verifies signatures. 

It was in another company's slab at at 8.0, restored.

image.thumb.jpeg.6de4d9c8ea34e1c84199651eddf6e3ba.jpeg

asm 1 CGC.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.fc5b248f31bb0920e65185aa31f4147a.jpeg

Edited by DoctorWyoming1
some odd site rule

On 3/28/2023 at 10:02 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Here are the pix. There are two signatures, cover and first page, which I think would further bring down the grade.

I really really prefer CGC but at least CBCS verifies signatures. 

When it was in a PGX case:

And close up 

image.thumb.jpeg.6de4d9c8ea34e1c84199651eddf6e3ba.jpeg

asm 1 CGC.jpeg

Not allowed to post non-CGC slabs on the forums. I would edit your post to remove the PGX picture. 2c (Keep the pictures that don't show the label.)

Edit the picture to put a black box over the PGX label.

Also the signature is not what is going to hurt this book the trimmed edges are.  This would be a good candidate for a different option though. Leave the book raw (keep the labels) and have JSA issue an authentication letter. You can keep the book in an archival mylar for show without the resto being front and center and it will be authenticated by a trusted third party.

On 3/28/2023 at 10:32 AM, KCOComics said:

I'm confused,  did you already have it graded by cgc? 

It was in a slab from a company that is not considered to be the gold standard for grading. I had it sent to CGC and slabbed, went down from an 8.0 to a 5.5. I wanted to know how much of that change was due to CGC's refusal to verify signatures, leading them to interpret Stan Lee's signature x2 as a child's scribble.

Edited by DoctorWyoming1

On 3/28/2023 at 11:03 AM, DougC said:

Also the signature is not what is going to hurt this book the trimmed edges are.  This would be a good candidate for a different option though. Leave the book raw (keep the labels) and have JSA issue an authentication letter. You can keep the book in an archival mylar for show without the resto being front and center and it will be authenticated by a trusted third party.

Thanks for this advice, but the restoration label didn't bother me that much as I got this book at a nice price. I had hopes that CGC would see it at least as a 7.0, making it a steal considering what I paid for it. I was a bit disappointed in this grade and was hoping that part of the downgrade was due to the signatures.

And I will admit that I am big on completing a 1-100 ASM run on the registry and this was my way to get a nice looking copy of a number 1, instead of something at a 1.8 or 2.0 that looked as if it were going to fall to pieces if you picked up the slab more than once. 

On 3/28/2023 at 10:14 AM, DoctorWyoming1 said:

Thanks for this advice, but the restoration label didn't bother me that much as I got this book at a nice price. I had hopes that CGC would see it at least as a 7.0, making it a steal considering what I paid for it. I was a bit disappointed in this grade and was hoping that part of the downgrade was due to the signatures.

And I will admit that I am big on completing a 1-100 ASM run on the registry and this was my way to get a nice looking copy of a number 1, instead of something at a 1.8 or 2.0 that looked as if it were going to fall to pieces if you picked up the slab more than once. 

Yah that’s a big bold whopping sig on the cover covering some of the cover art. It could easily knock off 1-2 points

On 3/29/2023 at 1:10 PM, Axe Elf said:

At least it's not trimmed on all four sides.

It may be if we looked at it from the fifth dimension.

Anyway, as soon as someone is willing to sell me a restored 9.4 copy at a FMV of a 1.0, I'll agree that it makes no difference. 

Edited by DoctorWyoming1