• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any suggestions on how to process FedEx lost/damaged shipment going to CGC?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

Hi there. Back in February I submitted my copy of Venom Lethal Protector Gold for grading. While I am relatively new to grading, I am highly confident this was a flawless copy and would have garnered a 9.8 (yes, I know, we're all confident about that most times). I insured the shipment with FedEx and they subsequently damaged and destroyed the contents. Yes, FedEx destroyed the contents - they said the box was damaged beyond repair and they destroyed it. I had this double boxed and wrapped, so it had to have been run over or something, who knows. I submitted my claim to FedEx and they are denying it, saying I need to show proof of purchase for the claim value. I explained that this was a comic book bought in 1993 and the appreciate in value over time, I cannot possibly provide any proof of purchase. I provided data from GPA and COVRPRICE showing sales and trends, as well as a few images from eBay all in hopes of indicating the FMV for this book and why I insured it. They are still denying the claim saying that I have to provide a professional appraised value of contents with proof before sending. I've never heard of this before, and that would suggest that all shipments to CGC would not be covered without this proof of purchase or the appraisal documents - which is absurd. By chance does anyone have any feedback now on how I can refute this with FedEx and get my claim money? Thanks very much. 

Try calling them, assuming you're doing everything online.  

I know this doesn't help but for next time....

I have shipped and received a lot of packages in another hobby.  That community almost always exclusively used USPS because of this.  It seemed like anytime someone posted of shipping damages / issues it was FedEx or UPS.  Don't get me wrong USPS is not flawless but far better from my experience.        

On 3/28/2023 at 10:33 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

From their own website:

image.thumb.png.d9a1668ceddfbf6664ddba92cce49b81.png

Since the shipment was going to CGC, you are the one who appraises its shipping value when you choose the tier to submit and how much to insure for. How you prove this to FedEx, I haven't a clue.

Thanks @theCapraAegagrus, but this does not work with FedEx. Their claims dep't was still denying it and have quoted me the following:

"For a claim to be paid, proof of value is required. Proof of value can be a sale invoice, purchasing invoice, certified appraisal documentation, or transaction payment details of sale or purchase. If valid proof of a value is not provided, unfortunately, the claim can be denied. As per our terms and conditions, packages containing all or part of the following items are limited to a maximum declared value of $1,000:

i. Artwork, including any work created or developed by the application of skill, taste, or creative talent for sale, display, or collection. This includes, but is not limited to, items (and their parts) such as paintings, drawings, vases tapestries, limited-edition prints, fine art, sculpture, collector’s items, and customized or personalized musical instruments."

I am still fighting this of course, but crazy to think of all the shipments back and forth with CGC and the hobby in general where someone can take a serious loss. I appreciate the response!

On 3/28/2023 at 10:38 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Would the CGC invoice or order document be of assistance here? Directly pertinent to why the book was in transit. (They destroy the box then get you to prove what was in it???!!!! Words fail me!)

Thanks, @LowGradeBronze, they are not accepting anything unless it comes from a professional appraiser - and even still, they will not exceed $1,000 total coverage! Crazy! Thanks for your feedback though. 

On 3/28/2023 at 3:27 PM, SpiderParker said:

Try calling them, assuming you're doing everything online.  

I know this doesn't help but for next time....

I have shipped and received a lot of packages in another hobby.  That community almost always exclusively used USPS because of this.  It seemed like anytime someone posted of shipping damages / issues it was FedEx or UPS.  Don't get me wrong USPS is not flawless but far better from my experience.        

Hey @SpiderParker, I did speak to someone and no further action/options. They say it has to have a proper professional appraisal and even then, FedEx will not cover more than $1,000 total value! Imagine that - all the books that go back and forth to CGC (or all the sales of eBay, Heritage, etc) and they will not cover more than $1,000. Unbelievable. I'm shipping from Canada so USPS is not an option, but I will have to look at the options for Canada Post and their partnership with USPS. I just assumed (wrongly?!) that FedEx was the best option. Damn hard way to learn that lesson.