• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Humidity issues?
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Slabs themselves are not airtight, but I believe the inner well is basically a mylar type bag that is heat sealed on all edges.  That is (likely) airtight.  That said, each collector should house their books in a climate controlled setting that is comfortable for both themselves and their books.

Thanks. I'm actually thinking about humidity in the books, inside of the sealed part of the case. Has that been known to cause any issues (regardless of where it is stored?)

I've had air tight boxes and safes have extremely high humidity inside when the humidity outside of them was very low. 

If the books are being stored in your home that is heated and air conditioned there should not be any issues with excess humidity, I only have two slabbed books and have never encountered any moisture issues inside the case or with any of my books.

If you are that concerned about humidity use a de-humidifier in the room or place a Desiccant with the books if they are in a safety deposit box or safe, just remember, for proper storage you want temps between 68-72 degrees and humidity at 40-50%, if the humidity is too low the pages may become dry and brittle.

This is from the American Library Association and the Library Of Congress.

https://www.ala.org/alcts/sites/ala.org.alcts/files/content/_MeltzerBkmk16.pdf

https://www.loc.gov/preservation/care/comics.html

The slabbing process and materials have changed at least a little over time.  We now have books that are, what, 20 years in a slab?  So far, we haven't heard of any widespread problems with moisture inside the slabs or the inner well, assuming they're being stored as noted above.