• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Annoying first graded book purchase
2 2

39 posts in this topic

On 4/1/2023 at 3:25 PM, lowball said:
On 4/1/2023 at 9:50 AM, JollyComics said:

Hey Lowball.....Take a deeeeeeeeeeeeeęEèeéêeeëeeēeėEEEEEEEP breath!

Welcome to the boards!

Haha thanks! :)

I heard Jolly takes a leak in the bag of every slab he sells. :shiftyeyes:

On 4/1/2023 at 8:03 PM, JollyComics said:
On 4/1/2023 at 7:54 PM, lizards2 said:

I heard Jolly takes a leak in the bag of every slab he sells. :shiftyeyes:

You drink it up!!!

Yep! You usually have to pay double for that, Cotton! lol

On 4/1/2023 at 8:27 PM, JollyComics said:
On 4/1/2023 at 8:05 PM, lizards2 said:

Yep! You usually have to pay double for that, Cotton! lol

You need a therapy. I will call you wife about it.

I thought you were my wife? :whistle: Else, why all the nagging? hm

As others noted, it could be worse and have been covered in _______________ (please fill-in the blank).

Joking aside, I have never received such but if I ever do I will not, I'll write, appreciate it.

On 4/1/2023 at 8:07 AM, lowball said:

Is cleaning slabs with window cleaner a normal practice? Never really thought about it

I clean scratched/scuffed slabs with Novus plastic cleaner. Works quite nicely, I've bought several scuffed slabs and fixed them right up with that stuff.

On 4/1/2023 at 5:25 PM, mosconi said:

Just like those ComicLink stickers and their sticky residue on slabs, it could have been easily cleaned off with a little Goo Gone adhesive remover (shrug)

And if you don't have any of that, rubbing alcohol works as well (and on ink, too - this is what I use to get sharpie ink off garage sale and thrift store finds). Use a microfiber towel to wipe off, not a paper towel, though.

On 4/2/2023 at 11:35 AM, Dr. Balls said:

And if you don't have any of that, rubbing alcohol works as well (and on ink, too - this is what I use to get sharpie ink off garage sale and thrift store finds). Use a microfiber towel to wipe off, not a paper towel, though.

Or those alcohol prep pads that the nurse wipes on your arm before you get a shot.  Target has them for about $3 for a box of 200.

my first slab was a cgc 6.5 asm14 from comiclink. it had a very rusty staple that was not disclosed in the auction and i was too rookie to read the notes. i always disliked the book because of the rust. years later i upgraded and sold it for about what i had paid. immediately after, the book doubled in price, probably thanks to me.

On 4/3/2023 at 11:57 PM, alexgross.com said:

i was too rookie to read the notes.

I may be mistaken, but long ago I thought at one point you couldn't read the grader's notes unless you were the person who paid to have it graded. Is this true, or am I just remembering wrong?

Either way, it wasn't until a year ago that I started reading the grader's notes before a purchase, and that's saved me from buying books that had issues that I wasn't comfortable with.