• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If a book is rejected from pre-screen, is it given a potential grade?
4 4

28 posts in this topic

I'm putting together a batch of comics and planning to have them pre-screened at 9.8.

I'm wondering though that if a book is rejected, is it noted anywhere what it would've been graded at?

For example, if a book would have been a 9.6 is that noted anywhere so I know when I get them back what it would've gotten and I can try to fix and resubmit?

Hope this makes sense and thanks!

Once in a great while I have seen graders notes on prescreen reject. It is rare. I've never seen a grade (that was lower than the prescreen) listed.  I believe it is likely - as Lightning55 says - that a pregrader looks at prescreens and passes or rejects the books. But sometimes then the graders decide it doesn't meet the minimum grade so you might see a rare graders note. But like Lightning, I've never seen a grade on a PS reject. 

It’s almost certainly given an estimated grade.  And if it fails the pre screen, cgc will almost certainly NOT TELL YOU THE ESTIMATED GRADE

On 4/3/2023 at 11:55 AM, danlewski said:

so ... I can try to fix and resubmit?

I have personally seen many books fail a prescreen on an initial submission and then pass that very same prescreen on a resubmission (with absolutely no intervening cleaning, pressing, or tweaking of any kind).  Even at the CGC level, grading has a subjective component.  Different graders may see different blemishes/flaws or may apply a CGC grading standard differently.  Some books are 'tweeners (right on the cusp between two adjacent grades) and could legitimately go either way.  Condition grading is not as precise and reproducible as you may think.

The bottom line?  If you're confident in your own assessment of a book's condition grade, just include it with your next submission.  :foryou:

On 4/19/2023 at 7:05 PM, zzutak said:

I have personally seen many books fail a prescreen on an initial submission and then pass that very same prescreen on a resubmission (with absolutely no intervening cleaning, pressing, or tweaking of any kind).  Even at the CGC level, grading has a subjective component.  Different graders may see different blemishes/flaws or may apply a CGC grading standard differently.  Some books are 'tweeners (right on the cusp between two adjacent grades) and could legitimately go either way.  Condition grading is not as precise and reproducible as you may think.

The bottom line?  If you're confident in your own assessment of a book's condition grade, just include it with your next submission.  :foryou:

I personally have done this, with many successes.

On 4/5/2023 at 11:31 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

You can get books graded for free right here in the Buddy Can You Spare a Grade section! You'll get plenty of 'grader notes and comments' and have some fun too. Why not give it a go with your PS rejects? 

Come, come.

ActualScientificAmericanratsnake-size_restricted.gif.039100ab4e41be7766cd57ce04206fd0.gif

:cheers:

And isn't the term Prescreen incorrect? Are they not just plain old "screening" to see which comics will make the grade? Pre has nothing to do with it. To be Pre, there would have to be a step before screening. Like opening the shipment or loading to the dashboard at intake could be considered pre-screen processes. Then you go to screening, and finally grading.

It's the same as when people recommended that you don't pre-rinse your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. Correctly they should say "don't rinse". No need for Pre.

Edited by Lightning55

On 4/20/2023 at 3:27 AM, Lightning55 said:

And isn't the term Prescreen incorrect? Are they not just plain old "screening" to see which comics will make the grade? Pre has nothing to do with it. To be Pre, there would have to be a step before screening. Like opening the shipment or loading to the dashboard at intake could be considered pre-screen processes. Then you go to screening, and finally grading.

It's the same as when people recommended that you don't pre-rinse your dishes before loading them into the dishwasher. Correctly they should say "don't rinse". No need for Pre.

I hope I remembered to preheat the oven before preboarding my flight...

On 4/20/2023 at 8:19 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

How low will they go on pre screen? I'd be saying "Send me back anything that doesn't make 4.0"....... then getting a package in the mail......

Looking at their submission form, it looks like they'll go all the way down to 0.5 on a pre-screen, but at that point, why bother with the pre-screen?  Might as well just send it in as a regular submission.

On 4/20/2023 at 4:27 AM, Lightning55 said:

I'm glad you pointed this out, because there can be times when there is a true pre-screen.

This usually takes place when a client has a very large number of books and they only want ultra high-grade copies to be selected for certification. In this situation, only the best copies are accepted for the actual "pre-screen"...

On 4/20/2023 at 5:07 PM, Gaard said:

I used to get mocked by my family all the time when I said I had to dethaw some hamburger. I got the last laugh, though, when I looked it up.

Dethaw is the opposite of thaw. To dethaw would be to freeze something that thawed.

So you must have meant to refreeze the hamburger that you thawed, which is usually not recommended.