• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 Trade for Journey Into Mystery #85?
2 2

5 posts in this topic

I currently have a copy of Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 with slightly brittle pages. At some point in time, I plan on purchasing an Avengers #1 in CGC 6.0 so that I have a set of Avengers #1 - #16 all in CGC 6.0 or better.

Of all the books I need to complete my goal of obtaining the first ten issues of the early SA Marvel Comics, the most expensive book that I need is Journey Into Mystery #85. I am only interested in purchasing a slabbed copy, which means no raw books.

Realistically, if I was to offer my copy of Avengers #1 in trade for a Journey Into Mystery #85, what would be a realistic grade to expect in return?

Current prices on Ebay (I know, totally unrealistic) for an Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 are: $2199.95, $2495.00, $2679.00, and $3687.75. There are no recent sales of an Avengers #1 CGC 1.5 on Ebay.

Current prices on Ebay for a Journey Into Mystery #85 CGC 3.0 are: $3200.00 and $2250.00. Current price on Ebay for a Journey Into Mystery #85 CGC 2.5 is $3208.44. One recent salon 01/04/2023, for a CGC 3.0 was for $1500.00. One recent sale, 01/21/2023, for a CGC 2.5 was for $2000.00.

I know that many of you will recommend to not look for a trade. Instead, just sell the Avengers #1 CGC 1.5, and use whatever proceeds I get to purchase a copy of Journey Into Mystery #85 in CGC 3.0. Here's my problem - the last sale of an Avengers #1 in CGC 1.5 was for $1906.00 on 02/13/2023. I understand that I would have to decrease my asking price due to the slightly brittle pages; my thought was to decrease my asking price to $1650, a decrease of $250. If I was to sell the book here on the boards, I honestly feel that I would be lucky to get $1400. I'm not trying to insult any board members, but I know that most board members are looking for a "deal." This happens all the time in my fantasy baseball league - trades rarely occur, as both participants want to feel that they "won."

Anyway, I would really like t hear your opinions. Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

GPA is showing: Avengers 1.5 as you say, around $1900, 12 month is $1853.  JIM 85 in 3.5 is around $2200 for 12 month average, 4.0 is $2400 recent, $2200 12 mo. average.  Both books are trending downward.

Sounds like the best advice is the one you are trying to avoid.  Since the prices are moving down, sell your 1.5,  wait for the #85 to dip lower, and snag it later, maybe at auction.

If you are selling on a marketplace, you could start it at $1900 and step it down periodically. You are letting the market decide, but it does take patience and intestinal fortitude.

If offering on the boards and not paying a commission, you could start lower and net the same.