• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Book Depository Closing Down

13 posts in this topic

My favourite site for buying all my collected editions is closing down, thanks to the parent company, Amazon, slashing approx. 27,000 jobs. The site was much cheaper than Amazon and had the same range. This is awful. Now my costs will increase, and I'm not happy about it. 

Anyone else joining the commiseration club? 

On 4/5/2023 at 2:16 AM, Cat said:

My favourite site for buying all my collected editions is closing down, thanks to the parent company, Amazon, slashing approx. 27,000 jobs. The site was much cheaper than Amazon and had the same range. This is awful. Now my costs will increase, and I'm not happy about it. 

I come from a land down under. Where comics flow and are most men's thunder. When I enter that grading contest, you better run. You better take cover...

On 4/5/2023 at 3:16 AM, Cat said:

Yeah this is terrible.

I agree. I didn't know about the site, but can only imagine there are limited number with a reach to Australia that it can't be "afforded to an easy retirement!"

:( I hope you find a replacement site.

On 4/6/2023 at 12:06 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I agree. I didn't know about the site, but can only imagine there are limited number with a reach to Australia that it can't be "afforded to an easy retirement!"

:( I hope you find a replacement site.

My costs will rise about $30 per omnibus, minimum, I'd estimate. That adds up rather quickly. Book Depository was a godsend. And their packaging was better than Amazon, though  somehow not by much, yet always arrived without damage. Always. That's also worth a lot. 

Edited by Cat

On 4/6/2023 at 2:15 AM, Namtak said:

Even in Canada collecting has its challenges,i cant imagine being as far as autralia,cost lot more for you,my condoléances mate from afar:cheers:

Yeah it can get real expensive. But we do it for the love of the medium. 

On 4/5/2023 at 7:11 AM, Cat said:

My costs will rise about $30 per omnibus, minimum, I'd estimate. That adds up rather quickly. Book Depository was a godsend. And their packaging was better than Amazon, though  somehow not by much, yet always arrived without damage. Always. That's also worth a lot. 

Do the math.  100 Omni's will be $3,000.

At some point it would be cheaper just to move to the USofA.

On 4/7/2023 at 3:37 AM, shadroch said:

Do the math.  100 Omni's will be $3,000.

At some point it would be cheaper just to move to the USofA.

With the amount of medications I have to take, I'd be dead within 2 months of moving to the US.