• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simon & Kirby
2 2

8 posts in this topic

Kirby is most likely fake, I put this together for you.  The first three are Jack signatures on his art.  The 4th is your book, and the last is a "Jack Kirby" dynamic forces signature (which is almost assuredly Roz's secretarial signature, since Jack could barely hold a pencil at that time).  Notice the flourish on the K in jack always ends up. Yet both Roz's DF sig and the one you have are flat.  The J also isn't curled around like Jack normally did, while Roz didn't.   Similarly the K in Kirby seems off as well, even in Roz's sig, the line usually cuts through the < but your sig is straight. Even weirder is the B, which I've never seen closed like that.  Like @eee91said, it looks like a copy of a Roz (so the person used the wrong template).  Did the seller give you any provenance on the book?  The Simon sig looks legit, it's very similar to his late in life sigs that he did even with CGC, which were usually in silver pen and had the elongated E.  

KirbySigs.thumb.png.af41051934b74f86b8614af1a50232ee.png

On 4/6/2023 at 12:15 PM, jaybuck43 said:

Kirby is most likely fake, I put this together for you.  The first three are Jack signatures on his art.  The 4th is your book, and the last is a "Jack Kirby" dynamic forces signature (which is almost assuredly Roz's secretarial signature, since Jack could barely hold a pencil at that time).  Notice the flourish on the K in jack always ends up. Yet both Roz's DF sig and the one you have are flat.  The J also isn't curled around like Jack normally did, while Roz didn't.   Similarly the K in Kirby seems off as well, even in Roz's sig, the line usually cuts through the < but your sig is straight. Even weirder is the B, which I've never seen closed like that.  Like @eee91said, it looks like a copy of a Roz (so the person used the wrong template).  Did the seller give you any provenance on the book?  The Simon sig looks legit, it's very similar to his late in life sigs that he did even with CGC, which were usually in silver pen and had the elongated E.  

Thank you for the Kirby signature comparisons.  I didn't buy the book after the first comments - glad to have resources like this on the CGC boards - truly a benefit to our hobby.

On 4/6/2023 at 9:15 AM, jaybuck43 said:

In your example graphic, we agree 4 is fake. But imho examples 1, 2, 3, and 5 look like Roz Kirby ghost-signings to me. 

@Mr. Zipper - thoughts? 

Edited by eee91

On 4/6/2023 at 8:36 PM, eee91 said:

In your example graphic, we agree 4 is fake. But imho examples 1, 2, 3, and 5 look like Roz Kirby ghost-signings to me. 

@Mr. Zipper - thoughts? 

Agree. There is not one authentic Kirby signature in this thread yet IMO.  The compare by Jaybuck43 are all 90s proxy signatures in my opinion.  The Simon + Kirby is a malicious fake. Thanks for the tag. :-)