• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jim Aparo Appreciation Thread
2 2

62 posts in this topic

My introduction to Jim Aparo was through his work on Brave and the Bold. I did not follow his work on Batman or Detective Comics. At some point in time, I picked up a TPB of his Spectre run in Adventure Comics, along with Michael Fleisher. I wanted to get some original art by him, but it has become quite pricey.

I liked Aparo's earlier work in the 70s - its was great and moody and really had that gritty style I'd come to associate with Batman of that era (thanks to Neal Adams).

His later stuff, the 80s though, especially Death in the Family, Ten Nights of the Beast, and Knightfall just seems bland, too bright in keeping with the stories themselves. May have been the inker's fault.

Contrast this:

e410d2adb5674ee4990825aa640a0c6b.jpg

With this: (granted this is probably from a re-colored graphic novel of the Death in the Family, however).

the-joker-is-broke-and-has-to-flee-the-c

On 4/23/2023 at 9:03 AM, Jayman said:

It’s nice to see that il Jolly didn’t paint “Burn in Hell” on Bat’s tombstone! :foryou:

I always thought that was a bit over the top, even for the 70’s…

It's things like that, the differences in different country printings, that make me seek these other nation editions out!