• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR WARS directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy starring Daisy Ridley (TBD)

72 posts in this topic

I wonder if we'll see something new and see this new Jedi Order she's building get destroyed. That sounds like a new story angle we've never seen before. 

In the wake of the latest Star Wars sequel trilogy, one of the most exciting projects Lucasfilm announced was a film helmed by Damon Lindelof, the creator of Lost and The Leftovers. Though, after April's Star Wars Celebration—where we learned of three new films, none of which involved Lindelof—it became clear that his project would not be moving forward.

It's a bummer. Lindelof certainly would have made something compelling. According to rumors circulating online, Lindelof's -script had an elderly Rey training two new Jedi knights—one of whom would be played by Watchmen star Yahya Abdul-Mateen II. But Disney announced this past spring that documentarian Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy would helm a film led by Rey, which may explain the studio's reasons for moving in another direction.

Now, in the latest episode of Esquire's "Explain This," Lindelof revealed for the first time that he did not leave the Star Wars universe by his accord. "I was in more than talks to join the Star Wars universe," Lindelof says. "I joined the Star Wars universe and was asked to leave." Previously, he told Variety that his axed -script was a "true labor of love," and that there would still be a new film, "but unfortunately not with me."

Daisy Ridley is gearing up to reprise her role as Rey in a new “Star Wars” film, and has revealed the storyline is “not what I expected.”

In an interview with Collider, Ridley reminisced about her surprise appearance at London’s Star Wars Celebration in April, where it was announced that Rey will be the focus of the first “Star Wars” feature film since 2019’s “The Rise of Skywalker.”

“I was :censored: myself before I went on stage, because no one knew I was going to that. No one knew I was going to Celebration, bar like Kathy [Kennedy] and there were a couple of people,” Ridley told Collider. “I was so nervous. Oh my God. It was such a wonderful reception.”

As for the plot of the new film, Ridley teased, “I’m very excited. The story is really cool. I’m waiting to read a script because, obviously, I don’t have any other updates. It’s not what I expected, but I’m very excited.”

image.png.04385b42ac8a0b6d4754486cb60be952.png

Daisy Ridley‘s Rey is coming back to the big screen in a new “Star Wars” movie directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (“Ms. Marvel”) and written by Steven Knight (“Peaky Blinders”). The film makes Obaid-Chinoy the first woman and first person of color to direct a “Star Wars” feature film. Previous film directors in the franchise include original creator George Lucas, Irvin Kershner (“Empire Strikes Back”), Richard Marquand (“Return of the Jedi”), J.J. Abrams (“The Force Awakens,” “The Rise of Skywalker”) and Rian Johnson (“The Last Jedi”). While “Star Wars” television projects have featured female directors, most notably Deborah Chow, the movies have shut them out until now.

“I’m very thrilled about the project because I feel what we’re about to create is something very special,” Obaid-Chinoy recently told CNN. “We’re in 2024 now, and it’s about time that we had a woman come forward to shape a story in a galaxy far, far away.”

“Well we’re 15 years out from ‘Rise of Skywalker,’ so we’re post-war, post-First Order, and the Jedi are in disarray,” Kennedy confirmed. “There’s a lot of discussion around, ‘Who are the Jedi? What are they doing? What’s the state of the galaxy?’ She’s attempting to rebuild the Jedi Order, based on the books, based on what she promised Luke, so that’s where we’re going.”

On 1/4/2024 at 12:29 PM, CAHokie said:

IMG_1254.thumb.jpeg.f54ca3e12029e17767a8cf6fcba354a3.jpeg

This is a proven winning strategy! Everyone knows that women are the primary target audience for Star Wars Films.  :headbang:

At least it has to get through the Filoni smell test now. Doubtful it'll have to go through the amount of rewrites that Kenobi had to because it was canonically wrong on many levels, according to reports. I'll reserve my trashing of it until I see it. 

Star Wars is filled with powerful women in powerful positions (Leia, Mothma, Hera, Ahsoka, Bo Katan, countless women on the Jedi Council). Stories have also been told from the point of view of the female characters. The final season, and one of the best seasons, of Clone Wars was told through the eyes of Ahsoka. No idea what men will feel uncomfortable about. Seems like a statement by someone who doesn't know Star Wars, in my opinion.

Statements like this seem to draw toxic reactions or severe eyerolling. No idea why people keep stepping on such a landmine. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

Also, one of the more popular ongoing Star Wars comic series is Doctor Aphra, which also has multiple volumes. These characters aren't plot devices to move the story along or someone who needs to be rescued or rescue the male protagonist from himself - they are the protagonists of compelling top-notch stories. 

On 1/4/2024 at 12:29 PM, CAHokie said:

IMG_1254.thumb.jpeg.f54ca3e12029e17767a8cf6fcba354a3.jpeg

This is a proven winning strategy! Everyone knows that women are the primary target audience for Star Wars Films.  :headbang:

To be fair, she can say whatever she likes if she ends up making a good movie.

Sadly though, I have no interest but I’m hardly the target audience anyway.