• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Online Comic Price Guide
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Hello!  I enjoy looking at Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide.  However, the font size is too small.  I have Googled online to find a good online comic price guide.  I kept seeing the web site called GoCollect.  Is it as good as Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide?  

Look forward to get some inputs from you all.

On 4/9/2023 at 9:30 AM, Andrew L. Kopec said:

Hello!  I enjoy looking at Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide.  However, the font size is too small.  I have Googled online to find a good online comic price guide.  I kept seeing the web site called GoCollect.  Is it as good as Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide?  

Gocollect has somewhat a free service showing some graded values. If I recall over street has raw values up to NM - or 9.2.

The consensus of most is either a paid gocollect or paid gpaanalysis.com subscription, which is preferred for graded books.

If you try that .com it'll give a a free look up of three books, namely hulk 181, fantastic four 48, and amazing Spider-Man 129. You can try that on gpaanalysis.com and see how it fits you. :) gpaanalysis is much more comprehensive and worth the subscription to most.

Happy Easter 

On 4/9/2023 at 8:30 AM, Andrew L. Kopec said:

I use many sites to price books.  GPA is my first choice for CGC graded books.  ebay is a good resource for almost anything but you can only see a couple months worth of sales.  Heritage Auctions has 600,000 plus auction results -free membership required - and is most useful to me for Golden Age, mycomicshop is useful for newer books and variants, Key Collector Comics is very useful for picking key issues and issues of value out of runs of books, and I rarely use gocollect but I believe many do, 

On 4/9/2023 at 10:30 AM, Andrew L. Kopec said:

Making no judgements on the relative worth of any form of price guide, I thought I would point out that last year Overstreet launched an online version of their Guide.

https://www.overstreetaccess.com

I used gpa and would recommend that for pricing I cancelled My subscription though during the pandemic for multiple reasons, etc… but might re subscribe as I’m starting to buy back books.. very useful if ur buying very often and buying keys or looking for a nice spot to enter the market… otherwise eBay research and yeah I’d go with your gut instinct and wallet depth as that generally dictates what you can and can’t buy lol 

Edited by Krismusic

Hello!  I enjoy looking at Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide.

Why? Do you also enjoy going to museums to see actual dinosaurs?

I kept seeing the web site called GoCollect.  Is it as good as Robert Overstreet's Comic Price Guide? 

I've rarely looked at that site, but it's difficult to imagine it being much worse.

I like reading the dealer reports, the scholarly articles, and the Hall of Fame section in the annual guide. There have been some amazing covers, too, but yeah, the pricing might now be the least valuable aspect of it, which is pretty funny. I got most of them between 1986 or so until 2015, but since then, I just buy one every few years.

On 4/9/2023 at 2:31 PM, jdandns said:

I got most of them between 1986 or so until 2015, but since then, I just buy one every few years.

It will definitely be interesting to see what he does with some of his price guide valuations for this coming year since we all know how adverses he is to showing price decreases.  He definitely outdid himself with some of his meteoric price increases on the BA and CA keys and semi-keys to the point that most of them have dropped substantially below his guide valuations listed in the current guide. :tonofbricks:  :facepalm:

Still no problem with the GA books as he can continue to keep those increases motoring along as most of those books are still selling at huge premiums and sometimes at big multiples to their current guide values across the entire conditionspectrum, even after the big increases he put on them for this year's guide.  :applause:

the data will be strong enough that we will see many lower prices ... Ive seen other books drop as a book cols off as it is no longer the new hot thing. Not that many, but guide has caught up in many areas and titles so Id think they would feel comfortable dropping prices after the large decreases so many here have tabulated.  They can pretty much use the threads here as a checklist

I have a subscription to GoCollect, GPAnalysis, and CovrPrice.  I use GPAnalysis the most, but it's probably the least user friendly and only has data on CGC books.  The other two try to incorporate *ahem* other slabs and raw books into their prices, as well, but they're not necessarily as accurate or inclusive of sales as GPA is for CGC-slabbed books from what I've seen.

On 4/11/2023 at 10:44 AM, Aman619 said:

the data will be strong enough that we will see many lower prices ... Ive seen other books drop as a book cols off as it is no longer the new hot thing. Not that many, but guide has caught up in many areas and titles so Id think they would feel comfortable dropping prices after the large decreases so many here have tabulated.  They can pretty much use the threads here as a checklist

I very much highly doubt that old Bob would ever feel comfortable with dropping prices in his guide because it goes right against his nature. :bigsmile:

I also very much doubt they would pay any attention at all or even read the threads on these boards here and would be totally shocked if they did.  :whatthe:

I was reading through the market reports now before the new edition of the guide comes out.  It is definitely kind of passe how all of the advisors are saying how hot the SA to CA market was in 2021 and wondering if it was going to be sustainable.  Well, I guess they got their answer and it's clearly one that they don't like.  :(

Perfect example being that all of the advisors were raving about hot super hot AF 15 was and with it being by far the top book out there, thinking it would continue to go up forever non-stop.  Yet, as we all know, now the sentiment has reversed itself completely with collectors wondering when it will stop falling as it continues to move downwards in price.  hm 

...going through all the main titles in the latest guide I did see prices reduced.  Not a lot of them, and I didnt take notes, just a quick "huh!" -- but ANY reduction in Guide is surprising.

Edited by Aman619

On 4/15/2023 at 10:03 PM, Aman619 said:

...going through all the main titles in the latest guide I did see prices reduced.  Not a lot of them, and I didnt take notes, just a quick "huh!" -- but ANY reduction in Guide is surprising.

Are we talking about the current edition of the Overstreet guide from last year here?  ???

Which mainstream major titles are you referring to that had reduced prices in the 2022 guide as compared to the 2021 guide?  hm

On 4/11/2023 at 1:05 PM, lou_fine said:

It will definitely be interesting to see what he does with some of his price guide valuations for this coming year since we all know how adverses he is to showing price decreases.  He definitely outdid himself with some of his meteoric price increases on the BA and CA keys and semi-keys to the point that most of them have dropped substantially below his guide valuations listed in the current guide.

Keep in mind that the production cycle means the OPG prices were largely set towards the end of 2022 (e.g. market reports were due by December 19). At that stage, the market was definitely slowing, but the duration of declines, or any possible rebounds, would have been unclear. When the new edition comes out in July or August, it's likely to look a bit disconnected from reality - but the real test will be what they do in the 2024 edition.