• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Al Jaffee R.I.P. 102

11 posts in this topic

On 4/11/2023 at 12:53 PM, *paull* said:

Bon voyage, Al!  His fold-ins are a national treasure.  A brilliant way of extending the form and requiring the reader to participate in the reveal.  What an artist.  We were lucky to have him this long.

Not many legendary creators left 😔

He was a man who didn't get NEARLY enough credit for all of his contributions to the field of comics and magazines. I HAVE heard Stan mention his name in interviews though and that always made me happy. From a day when almost no comic line gave credit to any of the creators, Al had a big hand in Timely Comics funny animal line of humor mags. GCD lists him with a question mark (best guess, I suppose) by many of the Timely funny animal stories (Ziggy Pig & Silly Seal and such). He DID help create many of those characters and should be remembered for his early work, as well as all of his accomplishments at MAD. RIP Sir ... you've had quite an adventure. 

Krazy Komics 8 raw.jpg

While I thought the fold in was brilliant it was his "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" that my brother and I really loved. Reading those books gave me an appreciation for that type of humor and would get me in trouble as a younger man when I didn't have as much of a filter as these days.

Now I may think of those retorts but often think twice before saying them though the temptation is great. I hope as an elder man someday that filter goes away again and I'll let some witty retorts fly!!

On 4/12/2023 at 12:00 AM, 50YrsCollctngCmcs said:

While I thought the fold in was brilliant it was his "Snappy Answers to Stupid Questions" that my brother and I really loved. Reading those books gave me an appreciation for that type of humor and would get me in trouble as a younger man when I didn't have as much of a filter as these days.

Now I may think of those retorts but often think twice before saying them though the temptation is great. I hope as an elder man someday that filter goes away again and I'll let some witty retorts fly!!

The older I get, the less filter I have. I have however, due to experience, learned to judge the situation before I speak.

I was in the crowded post office recently and an irritated older woman was complaining and grumbling about the line. I finally turned to her and said: “Why don’t you just go in front of me. You obviously have less time to live than I do” Her face was priceless and a number of people behind us started laughing.

Jaffee would have been one of those people.