• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a scarce book?
1 1

14 posts in this topic

Hello, I found this on ebay for a ridiculously great price and I submitted it and and the grade came back a 9.8!!! Anyways, it is not some major key (4th app of bullseye?) but does have a great Gil Kane cover. The census numbers are pretty low. Only 18 9.8's. What I also noticed is that it is a very early direct (whitman?) variant. I know newsstand is all the craze, and correct me if I am wrong, but a direct copy from this era is quite a bit less common than a newsstand right? I have read as low as 5% of total production. In any event, I figure that out of 18 9.8's, there are likely not many direct copies? Am I wrong in thinking I have a decent little rarity here or am I trying to will this thing into more than it really is? Thanks

20230411_003639-1.jpg

Screenshot_20230411_012030.jpg

Edited by chadsdsmith
grammer

On 4/13/2023 at 12:06 PM, buttock said:

18 in 9.8 is a lot.  

A lot compared to what? It's relative key importance? I only ask because, out of curiosity, I checked issue 145 and that had 28 9.8's and 147 had 21 9.8's. I would say 146 is more of a key than the owl and purple man appearances those issues contain, so it doesn't seem like 146 having 18 9.8's seems high, but I guess that is just a matter of relativity... 

On 4/13/2023 at 4:26 PM, chadsdsmith said:

A lot compared to what? It's relative key importance? I only ask because, out of curiosity, I checked issue 145 and that had 28 9.8's and 147 had 21 9.8's. I would say 146 is more of a key than the owl and purple man appearances those issues contain, so it doesn't seem like 146 having 18 9.8's seems high, but I guess that is just a matter of relativity... 

The question you asked was is it a scarce book.  Based on Census it is not. The mostly black background will keep 9.8 pop in check compared to 9.6's but if the book ever does become "hot" or "key" expect submissions thus population to sublimate as per the norm.  It's common for Whitman Distributed Marvel's of the era to have smaller high grades pop's

CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Daredevil 146 (6/77, Marvel Comics)
            Bullseye appearance.
Universal 192 8.88     18 55 32 23 14 9 14 10 2 3 5 3 3

Edited by MAR1979

Thanks for the input. I dont have any immediate desire to sell it and I certainly don't think it is some amazing unicorn of a book, I just figured there may not be too many out there. I still don't know if I would consider 18 9.8's a lot, given the census of other books in that number run, but I am still just learning this stuff and I am happy with the book 😀

On 4/13/2023 at 8:50 PM, chadsdsmith said:

Thanks for the input. I dont have any immediate desire to sell it and I certainly don't think it is some amazing unicorn of a book, I just figured there may not be too many out there. I still don't know if I would consider 18 9.8's a lot, given the census of other books in that number run, but I am still just learning this stuff and I am happy with the book 😀

It's definitely fewer than some, but as pointed out, it could be that not a lot have been subbed until prices are realized. Then there are the golden age collectors that say 18 total books slabbed is still a lot, in any grade. It could be argued that slabs are still niche in the big picture. 18 and specifically in 9,8, sure can be only a few, but in the scheme of things might still be a healthy number in the sample size.

Congrats on the book. :)

Definitely a keeper, and I'm glad you subbed it! Did it just happen to come back 9,8? Or did you think it would grade high? Did you just like that book, cover or copy? Many things that can translate to value, I was just giving some feedback when it comes to the registry or census. It is a whole lot of anglers, that's why most said collect what you like! Still cool and 18 can be seen as a neat detail, just there are many lol

Cheers!  :cheers:

On 4/13/2023 at 7:17 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

It's definitely fewer than some, but as pointed out, it could be that not a lot have been subbed until prices are realized. Then there are the golden age collectors that say 18 total books slabbed is still a lot, in any grade. It could be argued that slabs are still niche in the big picture. 18 and specifically in 9,8, sure can be only a few, but in the scheme of things might still be a healthy number in the sample size.

Congrats on the book. :)

Definitely a keeper, and I'm glad you subbed it! Did it just happen to come back 9,8? Or did you think it would grade high? Did you just like that book, cover or copy? Many things that can translate to value, I was just giving some feedback when it comes to the registry or census. It is a whole lot of anglers, that's why most said collect what you like! Still cool and 18 can be seen as a neat detail, just there are many lol

Cheers!  :cheers:

I bought it for a total of $10 shipped to my door, and when I received it i could not find a single thing wrong with it. Coupled with the fact that I really like the cover, I figured it would be a good one to slab that, even worse case, would only be invested about $40 in. I hadnt even considered the fact that it was an early direct copy until after the fact, so I just wanted to check if that meant anything...thanks 

On 4/13/2023 at 9:30 PM, chadsdsmith said:

I bought it for a total of $10 shipped to my door, and when I received it i could not find a single thing wrong with it. Coupled with the fact that I really like the cover, I figured it would be a good one to slab that, even worse case, would only be invested about $40 in. I hadnt even considered the fact that it was an early direct copy until after the fact, so I just wanted to check if that meant anything...thanks 

Definitely! It's the fun of collecting, and now as well a cgc submission learning experience! I'd be proud of that most of all, development of that keen eye, and the guts to not just put it aside! I may come into some Australian price variants soon, and I might sub them just for fun.

I think you won all day long, given the CGC quality control thread in comics general and the problems with some submissions. While the census is one thing, it is almost miniscule in the grand scheme with other issues? Debatable, 18 is nothing to sneeze at, and like you said not going to "fund tuition to college?" To paraphrase collectors, but definitely a diamond in the at least a golf sand trap, or maybe even the rough! Kudos!

On 4/13/2023 at 9:35 PM, chadsdsmith said:

Hello, I found this on ebay for a ridiculously great price and I submitted it and and the grade came back a 9.8!!! Anyways, it is not some major key (4th app of bullseye?) but does have a great Gil Kane cover. The census numbers are pretty low. Only 18 9.8's. What I also noticed is that it is a very early direct (whitman?) variant. I know newsstand is all the craze, and correct me if I am wrong, but a direct copy from this era is quite a bit less common than a newsstand right? I have read as low as 5% of total production. In any event, I figure that out of 18 9.8's, there are likely not many direct copies? Am I wrong in thinking I have a decent little rarity here or am I trying to will this thing into more than it really is? Thanks

20230411_003639-1.jpg
Rare variants with low numbers and high grades always attract the attention of collectors. It's important to continue to research the market and analyze trends, but you may actually have something that isn't exactly valuable. I would love to read this comic. But I don’t have time anyway, I even found essay help, I use https://essays.edubirdie.com/essay-help for this. I don’t really know what to do anymore. I feel like I'm lost in life. I have one university in my head and nothing else.

Screenshot_20230411_012030.jpg

Sounds like you have a real find on your hands. but no

Edited by jonminkun36