• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What would You guys do for this Tales of Suspense 39? Grading Wise
2 2

17 posts in this topic

Just bag and board it for now. At the very least wait until you can source a replacement back cover, as if you have at least part of the cover wrap you can qualify for a Universal 0.5 grade (For coverless keys like this I often mend an original back cover to a facsimile front cover and reattach to the book using the original staples)

Congrats on your TOS 39!!! Enjoy that book!!! :golfclap: :banana: :whee::applause:

I have a question, not pertaining to the original posters question...???

On a coverless grail such as this book, how could the average collector tell if the book is a legit, original book and not a reprint without an indicia being present?, just curious. (shrug) hm

On 4/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Congrats on your TOS 39!!! Enjoy that book!!! :golfclap: :banana: :whee::applause:

On a coverless grail such as this book, how could the average collector tell if the book is a legit, original book and not a reprint without an indicia being present?, just curious. (shrug) hm

Reprints would have different ads, and even the same ads would have a different response code in the ads.

On 4/14/2023 at 7:45 AM, marvelmaniac said:

Reprints would have different ads, and even the same ads would have a different response code in the ads.

On 4/14/2023 at 12:39 PM, comicginger1789 said:

I also would never grade it. I would personally prefer raw

But if you are deciding between grading as is or adding a facsimile cover, I would definitely NOT add a fake cover. 

Amen. No fake covers. Once it was slabbed that's what would be staring back at you from inside the case.  That would drive me crazy personally. 

On 4/14/2023 at 10:45 AM, marvelmaniac said:

There should be a noticeable difference in the paper stock...  :gossip:

On 4/14/2023 at 3:45 PM, marvelmaniac said:

Give it a good sniff. Nothing smells quite like vintage paper stock! (Plus you might get to like it....) 

On 4/16/2023 at 7:41 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

Give it a good sniff. Nothing smells quite like vintage paper stock! (Plus you might get to like it....) 

I LOVE the smell of degrading paper, however, you cannot smell degrading paper through a computer screen.

On 4/17/2023 at 8:22 PM, longdillon1 said:

Thanks for all of the replies guys. Had a few chuckles reading some of them lol. I’m going to have it graded as is. Just for protections sake.

thanks again everyone

Good decision.  It is one of the great splash pages of the SA and shouldn't be covered up with a facsimile. 

I would recommend keeping it bagged and boarded in case you ever stumble onto a cover or incomplete copy. I wouldn't be worried about needing to protect it. Just bags and boards, in a short box should you. 

The only advantage to slabbing a coverless is, CGC will count pages and look for things like trimming (which isn't terribly common on coverless books, but it happens). So a future buyer would know exactly what they are getting. But if you aren't selling for awhile, I would save the cash and enjoy it as is.