• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Space Vixen’s 16
2 2

12 posts in this topic

On 4/15/2023 at 6:29 PM, JollyComics said:

I don't know how to deduct the grade for rust staples

FWIW, my grade came from the reading of the CGC book. 9.0-9.6 for "staple only" rust depending on severity (I assume a high 9 would mean barely perceptible), and the lower as their is rust transfer to the paper. The books says 6.0-7.0 for significant page migration. This seems pretty mild compared to other examples I've seen. I do have a hard time believing they would give a 6.0 to some of those books that have heavy rust stain migration, although in those cases it's usually among many moderate to serious defects, so I doubt they see to many pristine books except for significant rust migration. It does seem like they're going to be slightly kinder to rust staining b/c it is not from an external source.

On 4/15/2023 at 9:05 PM, scburdet said:

FWIW, my grade came from the reading of the CGC book. 9.0-9.6 for "staple only" rust depending on severity (I assume a high 9 would mean barely perceptible), and the lower as their is rust transfer to the paper. The books says 6.0-7.0 for significant page migration. This seems pretty mild compared to other examples I've seen. I do have a hard time believing they would give a 6.0 to some of those books that have heavy rust stain migration, although in those cases it's usually among many moderate to serious defects, so I doubt they see to many pristine books except for significant rust migration. It does seem like they're going to be slightly kinder to rust staining b/c it is not from an external source.

The processing of rust on the staples was stopped before it reached the end point.  It would have rust migration.

@ComicSpa

Your board name may be comical.  I think a person read this book in the bathtub that caused the rust staples.

By the way, I learned the simple trick from Matt Nelson before he joined CGC.   He said. "Use X-Acto knife to scrape the rust off the staples inside and out."

Don't clean the staples. It will be a restoration. Just scrape the rust off.

On 4/15/2023 at 11:38 PM, JollyComics said:

Don't clean the staples

what is "cleaning" in this case? To me, just knocking the loose rust off is the obvious move. I thought that I saw someone claiming CGC dinged them for staples that looked polished. Not sure I would want to put metal polish that close to paper

On 4/15/2023 at 9:43 PM, scburdet said:

what is "cleaning" in this case? To me, just knocking the loose rust off is the obvious move. I thought that I saw someone claiming CGC dinged them for staples that looked polished. Not sure I would want to put metal polish that close to paper

Remove and clean the staples then put them back on the book.  CGC can tell the staples were cleaned because the rust on the paper is shown.  Just scrape the excessive rust off the staples.