• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 2
16 16

173 posts in this topic

My Brother in Law has a 270 Ruger that I store for him at the house I have repeatedly tried to buy it but I only get to look at it .Its the exact gun as my 7 MM mag but 270 so I would really like to add it to the collection of guns I have as I don't own a 270 at least in my mind but it is here at the house so you never know .:cloud9:

It is my hope to become a better grader.

I put the Jungle at 6.5.

For those who correctly had it at 5.5, may I ask (now that the round is over), if you observed it had a detached staple?

If you did, would you mind sharing with me how you were able to observe this?  I didn't see it.  Am I missing something?

Edited by Hudson

On 4/30/2023 at 2:40 PM, Hudson said:

It is my hope to become a better grader.

I put the Jungle at 6.5.

For those who correctly had it at 5.5, may I ask (now that the round is over), if you observed it had a detached staple?

If you did, would you mind sharing with me how you were able to observe this?  I didn't see it.  Am I missing something?

I had it 6.0/6.5 initial grade and settled on 6.5 as well.  Obviously if I was able to discern the detached staple would've dropped to 5.5 maybe lower.  I mean clearly this book is a 6.5 without that defect.  I echo Hudson's question was anyone able to see that in some way?  Both staples are not visible on the back cover scan.

• Administrator
On 4/30/2023 at 2:57 PM, Yorick said:
On 4/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, CGC Mike said:

270 at 200 yds

I bet the 270 is pretty tough to find ammo for... that's a good distance.  All in the ten ring?

With the exception of a couple of outliers, all within a 3 inch group an inch above the bullseye, which is exactly where I aimed thinking there would be a 1 inch drop.  Anyhow, back to the contest...

On 4/30/2023 at 7:02 PM, trmoore54 said:

I had it 6.0/6.5 initial grade and settled on 6.5 as well.  Obviously if I was able to discern the detached staple would've dropped to 5.5 maybe lower.  I mean clearly this book is a 6.5 without that defect.  I echo Hudson's question was anyone able to see that in some way?  Both staples are not visible on the back cover scan.

I went 6.5 too. I mean, I can't speak for the hundred or so people that went 5.5 or lower, but there's clearly some odds and ends going on with the book... bits of splitting visible at one or both spine corners, the paper loss at the bottom corner, the BC stain, and (ironically) the *top* staple appeared pulled-at-best, detached-at-worst. Even without knowing the bottom staple issue, reasonable enough to think the book was 'a near miss of Fine' or some variation on that.

On 4/30/2023 at 8:57 PM, Point Five said:
On 4/30/2023 at 6:02 PM, trmoore54 said:

I went 6.5 too. I mean, I can't speak for the hundred or so people that went 5.5 or lower, but there's clearly some odds and ends going on with the book... bits of splitting visible at one or both spine corners, the paper loss at the bottom corner, the BC stain, and (ironically) the *top* staple appeared pulled-at-best, detached-at-worst. Even without knowing the bottom staple issue, reasonable enough to think the book was 'a near miss of Fine' or some variation on that.

I've only noticed this discussion on this page, I put 6.5 as well after grading on the tablet. It's immediately why I posted when I awoke to the big monitor that I thought I too had over graded. I thought 5.5 made sense then just because I remembered similar books like that in this contest, similar to a piece missing out of a cover of a otherwise very nice bok. A 1st brainiac book comes to mind, although I don't remember why.

I didn't notice a staple, nor did I read the notes. Although it looks clean from here, although I new I had over graded on a lot of them, I was dreading by how much but 5.5 makes sense  :shy:

On 4/30/2023 at 4:02 PM, trmoore54 said:

6.5??? No way, my friend  . . . I thought 5.0 (even before the notes) :gossip:

On 4/30/2023 at 10:22 PM, divad said:

Did you notice the staple?

If not, would you have graded it even lower (below 5.0) if you knew about the staple?

This contest is awesome, as I try to become a better grader.   Interested is seeing what others see or what “defects” account for what deduction.   

Also interesting to see what other board members think the grade “should be” (if they were in charge).  

Really glad Mike continues to take the time to run these.  I know it cannot be easy.  

On 4/30/2023 at 9:22 PM, divad said:

My grading way would have gone to 5.0/5.5 but CGC is softer on GA books so I put 6.5 higher than my way.  It’s frustrating and baffling me.

Edited by JollyComics

• Administrator
On 5/1/2023 at 1:57 PM, Hudson said:

Really glad Mike continues to take the time to run these.  I know it cannot be easy.  

Well, I seem to be very popular during these contests.  BTW, I am judging my popularity from the number of PM's I get.  :grin: