• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2023 CGC Grading Contest Season 2 Spring Edition (#6) Round 3
14 14

188 posts in this topic

On 5/3/2023 at 9:02 AM, Point Five said:

I'm most curious about these ^ graders' notes on the Looney Tunes. These don't sound like flaws you'd find on a 7.0 book, unless (I'd think) it was virtually perfect otherwise.

...or visible with a scan?

On 5/3/2023 at 1:26 PM, cchunn3 said:

...or visible with a scan?

@Point Five

I missed the detached staple note before. Definitely would have lowered my guess if I knew it was detached. I would love an alert when there's an obvious defect that's not obvious in photos. It's making my assessment about bindery tears in GAs more accurate as the 7.0 seemed too low for that defect in the era. All based on just reading the book as my GA experience is still virtually nil.

Well first round I’m glad I didn’t officially join the contest for. Took on 10 points this round which is more than the 9 total I had going in. Had the Rex at 7.5 and exactly flipped the Spidey & DD. Not upset about Rex bc loose staples & soil are hard to make out on scans but I’d be depressed if that was my DD. I have a ASM that looks pretty close to the contest book I’m saving for a JRJR signing so I’ll keep my fingers crossed I get the same grader.

I'm still inexperienced and haven't looked at thousands of books like some here, so I gave the Looney Tunes book a 7.0 based on what the CGC grading book said about missing pieces - a 7.5 can have a 0.5" piece missing (I assume that means 0.5" by 0.5").  So I thought the accumulated area missing on the book was about that or a little less. Then deducted another 0.5 for other minor issues.  Just got lucky I think.

On 5/2/2023 at 9:46 PM, TC33 said:

Loony Toones did not just have wear at each corner, its freaking missing sizable pieces/chunks in 3 of the 4 corners! Rex shows a heck of a lot better than that book as its not missing sizable corner pieces in 3 of the 4 corners!  Some imaginary stain on the bottom of the front cover is not visible from the scan, perhaps from the interior cover, but we don't have that benefit.  I had those two grades flipped around and think the grades on those two books are literally loony tunes!  :pullhair:

Welcome to CGC and the Golden Age! :bigsmile:

(Hey, they are freakin' old books - Older than me, I'd wager . . . ) :peace:

On 5/3/2023 at 4:02 PM, youfoundjake said:

ugh:

Looney Tunes #5 7.5   (1)

Rex the Wonder Dog #31  7.0  (2)

Batman #156  6.5   (6):insane::facepalm:

Spidey #78 8.5  (2)

Daredevil #168 9.0   (1)

12 points, how horrible is that ?

@youlostjake :bigsmile: