• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wolverine #1 2003 2pac homage cover?
2 2

28 posts in this topic

Anyone have any information on this book?  I seen it on Ebay but can't find any info about it.  It's supposed to be Wolverine #1 Vol. 3 2003.  I've been into buying homage covers of different music artist and seen this one.  Now I want it if it's real. 😆 

Any help would be appreciated!

Screenshot_20230409_190502_eBay.thumb.jpg.4411d7230050eb78b64304518c7ee10e.jpg

I'd have to say fake. No record of this anywhere else, such as MCS database etc. However this seller has sold multiple copies. Wolverine logo doesn't match the regular cover. No cover artist signature. Also, looking at the zoomed centerfold the seller has provided shows extra staple holes. Also hard to sell with no price or upc. Fake, fake, fake, IMO.

Edited by Cephusdog

It's also got no UPC box, which back then, they would have had on the front for sure. And the art isn't up to scratch. I also reckon fake. 

On 4/17/2023 at 6:05 AM, wardevil0 said:

Thank you for the link.

I could not find the listing and I searched for completed, sold as well. Strange how Ebay works and I suspect it is because I am in a different country from the US

Could be the same item, possibly relisted after the January buyer returned it for being an undisclosed fake?  That's just speculation.  Original auction could've been shilled to build perceived value?  Regardless, I'd avoid it.

On 4/17/2023 at 8:30 AM, MR. Pontoon said:

It looks like fan art.

...and no offense to the artist but it isn't very good.

I have no issue with creating a cover like this ( I have done it a few times myself) but I think it should be mentioned in the auction that the cover is a fan-made creation attached to a real comic interior.

Edited by Artboy99

This seller is notorious for creating fake covers and reselling them as if they were originals.  They make a good profit off of these listings and do so by using vague terms like "custom variant" or "Artist Edition reproduction cover" or "This cover was not widely distributed by Marvel".

In reality, the title and description should read "Fake cover that was NEVER distributed by Marvel."

On 4/17/2023 at 11:33 AM, masterlogan2000 said:

This seller is notorious for creating fake covers and reselling them as if they were originals.  They make a good profit off of these listings and do so by using vague terms like "custom variant" or "Artist Edition reproduction cover" or "This cover was not widely distributed by Marvel".

In reality, the title and description should read "Fake cover that was NEVER distributed by Marvel."

images.jpg

On 4/18/2023 at 3:32 AM, wardevil0 said:

Unfortunately I didn't think the relatively amateurish art was indicative of anything. Here are a couple of real hip hop variants I'd say are objectively worse than the fake Wolverine:

3484202.jpg 5923394.jpg

I'd still say those are better. Hell, I'd say even the awful awful X-Men Gold #1 is more professional and that's the yardstick for 'awful cover'. 

1150526.jpg.4530ae5ad23177b3c1ee13af871e4e19.jpg

On 4/17/2023 at 4:33 PM, Cat said:

I'd still say those are better. Hell, I'd say even the awful awful X-Men Gold #1 is more professional and that's the yardstick for 'awful cover'. 

1150526.jpg.4530ae5ad23177b3c1ee13af871e4e19.jpg

This is hideous!  I would definitely take the fake Wolverine over this abomination!