• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Motor City Comic Con - Novi MI - May 19-21 2023 - (CGC BOOTH, DONNY CATES, RYAN STEGMAN, STEPHEN AMELL, CHRISTOPHER LLOYD, CARL WEATHERS, JASON ISAACS, more)

26 posts in this topic

On 5/20/2023 at 9:05 PM, electricprune said:

I might suck it up and go tomorrow. I just can’t deal with the lines there anymore.

I get it. If you are into GA this is a good year. Anything else…. Meh?

On 5/20/2023 at 9:16 PM, Raze said:

@SkOw can you do a ahow report In general? 

Cliff notes version

- TREMENDOUS GA this year but that might be a fluke.  No idea if that is a trend that will continue.

- Lange who is zilla4 on ebay that is a renowned good deal/ultra tight grader from the west side of Michigan was back with his excellent dollar boxes this year after missing the last few years.  @1Cool and I used to dominate them back in the day.  There were a lot of dollar and 50 cent boxes throughout the show that the sharks were getting great deals and bragging about but I didn't even check them.

- 1 really good modern dealer.  1 guy from the center of the state just got a beautiful SA/BA collection and that was getting attacked but overall everything outside of GA and cheap boxes were average for a large con.  Nothing special.  There were more comic dealers than last year but they are all spread out which makes zero sense. The show recently doubled in size with an addition that was put on the venue and it is a hike to all the booths with plush swords, t-shirts, and trinkets in between :pullhair:

- Last point... WAYYYYYY too many plush sword trinket mystery box etc type booths for my taste. WAYYYYY too many cosplay geek out types.  I like to buy comics.  There were comics to buy but I remember when the show was 60-70% comics and not the other way around.  Better buying than last year though.

On 5/20/2023 at 6:27 PM, SkOw said:

Cliff notes version

- TREMENDOUS GA this year but that might be a fluke.  No idea if that is a trend that will continue.

- Lange who is zilla4 on ebay that is a renowned good deal/ultra tight grader from the west side of Michigan was back with his excellent dollar boxes this year after missing the last few years.  @1Cool and I used to dominate them back in the day.  There were a lot of dollar and 50 cent boxes throughout the show that the sharks were getting great deals and bragging about but I didn't even check them.

- 1 really good modern dealer.  1 guy from the center of the state just got a beautiful SA/BA collection and that was getting attacked but overall everything outside of GA and cheap boxes were average for a large con.  Nothing special.  There were more comic dealers than last year but they are all spread out which makes zero sense. The show recently doubled in size with an addition that was put on the venue and it is a hike to all the booths with plush swords, t-shirts, and trinkets in between :pullhair:

- Last point... WAYYYYYY too many plush sword trinket mystery box etc type booths for my taste. WAYYYYY too many cosplay geek out types.  I like to buy comics.  There were comics to buy but I remember when the show was 60-70% comics and not the other way around.  Better buying than last year though.

The problem for promoters of big shows is they need to fill the floor. Often they will sell booths to sellers of just about anything just to populate the room.

With the cost of booths, I can’t imagine it is fiscally worth it for a lot of sellers. And folks bringing 50 cent to dollar books, they must have a TON of them to make anything.

I don’t do many shows as a seller but I have found I need to have a good mix of cheap stuff to good stuff to make it worthwhile. I do my best to suck as much money out of wallets as possible. :roflmao:

Edited by Robot Man

On 5/21/2023 at 6:32 AM, letsgrumble said:

Pre-pandemic, I’d always hit his booth early. I was there Friday and was glad to see that he set up this year. While Todd wasn’t there, his booth had tons of beautiful, sharp bronze books at fantastic prices. Here’s some of the books purchased from Lange:

image.thumb.jpeg.122579ef9ef4dd524d96faaa36902020.jpeg

Walked away from the show with a few boxes.

image.thumb.jpeg.54fd9b34ee518d1dd4b8b004e1b449ef.jpeg

And this from Roger at Collector’s Zone:

image.thumb.jpeg.c60ae5d12ab16d33dd4c3dc40c1a0a83.jpeg

Wow, that is some shopping! Looks like a lot of fun. I have gotton to the point if I go home with 3-4 good books, I’ve done well. But, I am pretty much a somewhat advanced GA collector. 

Edited by Robot Man