• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your Very First GOLDEN AGE Comic!
3 3

90 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2023 at 8:54 AM, *paull* said:

I started going to New York shows in the early 90s and saw Golden Age books but didn't pay much attention to anything other than early Tec, Batman, Action, Marvel Mystery, etc.  Man, how I wish I saved up to buy GA and pre-code horror books back then and skipped Silver Age books.  I didn't really start paying attention until around 1995-1998 when Comic Buyer's Guide had multiple page auction listings for GA and pre-code books.  I was mesmerized by the Timelys, Schomburgs, L.B. Coles, and lurid 1950s books in those listings.  I will probably create another post about these CBG auctions...

The first GA book I bought was Mask Comics 1, after having seen one in the CBG auctions.  I just had to have it... fell in love with that cover and am still in love today!

Mask Comics 1 - large.jpg

One heck of a GA book to “pop your cherry” on! 

On 5/2/2023 at 1:15 PM, Robot Man said:

One heck of a GA book to “pop your cherry” on! 

Hahahaha... If only I kept going and didn't blow money on other junk!  I did buy more books slowly in the early 2000s.  But oh... the misery... when I think of the things I could have grabbed!

On 5/2/2023 at 10:27 AM, *paull* said:

Hahahaha... If only I kept going and didn't blow money on other junk!  I did buy more books slowly in the early 2000s.  But oh... the misery... when I think of the things I could have grabbed!

Early on, I was seduced by GA. From that time on, I bought as much as I could find and afford. I picked up the SA and some BA I really wanted as it became available at prices that were real affordable and managed to get pretty much what I really wanted. But GA has always and still is my main focus. 

On 5/2/2023 at 2:12 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

My only takeaway here is that I should have discovered this hobby a loooong time ago :wavingwhiteflag:

Timing is everything lol

Here’s what I recall as my first golden age comic, unremarkable in every way except for the gateway it provided to a young collector allowed into the back room for the first time of his local grocery store-turned-comic shop almost fifty years ago. It cost me the princely sum of $1, and there was no way, I thought to myself, I’d ever be able to afford those early Batman's for $25.

CB9E16BD-4AC0-406B-8969-C9B577221B9C.jpeg