• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Magnus Robot Fighter 1 (Gold Key, 1963)
2 2

13 posts in this topic

Another oldie that I had on my bucket list. Decent looking copies are hard to come by, even if price isn't an issue. Somehow I missed the (obvious) note that the centerfold was detached, but I don't think it actually matters much with the rest of the condition. The quality of the back cover is kind of what sold me.

PXL_20230420_170720295.jpg

PXL_20230420_170724793.jpg

PXL_20230420_170727295.jpg

PXL_20230420_170729457.jpg

PXL_20230420_170731454.jpg

PXL_20230420_170736871.jpg

PXL_20230420_170832791.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 4/20/2023 at 2:01 PM, AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice said:

I think if one staple was attached we would at least have a 3.0

Yes, I agree. And in this grade (3.0) replacement staples and amateur repairs are acceptable. If it were mine, I'd put it back together with vintage staples and tack the centerfold together under the staples if it's blown apart. Still a 3 but much more appealing.

Edited by cchunn3
clarification re: repairs

@cchunn3 @AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice

The grade range stated in the CGC guide for a detached wrap is 4.0-7.5. By their grid of defects, this is (supposed) to mean a detached wrap has no impact on the grade below 4.0. So a grade of 2.5 or a 3.0 would mean the comic would otherwise grade there, and the wrap detachment would have no impact. Whether in practice they follow their own guidelines is a different story.

On 4/20/2023 at 3:21 PM, scburdet said:

grade range stated in the CGC guide for a detached wrap is 4.0-7.5

Yeah, I don't know why they are being so harsh lol. It's a detached wrap not a cover. It's annoying to deal with and a bummer but not the end of the world. I will say I haven't seen one get above a 7.0 though, even if it is theoretically possible. I would not be surprised to see this get a 4.0-4.5. 

If the centerfold was securely attached at both staples, I'd give this book a 4.5/5.0 based on cover wear.  A book in the 4.0~5.0 range should not get dinged any more than one grade increment for a detached centerfold.  Hence, put me in the 4.0/4.5 camp as well.  :foryou:

On 4/20/2023 at 7:34 PM, zzutak said:

If the centerfold was securely attached at both staples, I'd give this book a 4.5/5.0 based on cover wear.  A book in the 4.0~5.0 range should not get dinged any more than one grade increment for a detached centerfold.  Hence, put me in the 4.0/4.5 camp as well.  :foryou:

This.

Its a tough, tough book above mid-grade as that gray wrap reveals everything. OP, I followed this auction too for the same reason - that back cover. I have one so I decided to bail on it, but only because of a lot of other stuff cropping up at the same time on my radar. Would not hesitate to have multiples of this book in this grade and up. You got a nice one!

On 4/20/2023 at 5:37 PM, Readcomix said:

This.

Its a tough, tough book above mid-grade as that gray wrap reveals everything. OP, I followed this auction too for the same reason - that back cover. I have one so I decided to bail on it, but only because of a lot of other stuff cropping up at the same time on my radar. Would not hesitate to have multiples of this book in this grade and up. You got a nice one!

This and Solar 2 are rough in high grade.  Finally got an 8.5 of Solar #2.  My Magnus is 6.0 but I want higher.

On 4/20/2023 at 10:07 PM, EMazman said:

rough in high grade

Seem to me like a lot of the Gold Key comics didn't get a lot of love in the earlier days of collecting. What few I had from the late 70s didn't hold a place of honor in my collection when I started to take the hobby more seriously. Not hoovering these up 2-3 decades ago was a mistake. 

On 4/20/2023 at 2:21 PM, scburdet said:

@cchunn3 @AhsokaTano Jedi Apprentice

The grade range stated in the CGC guide for a detached wrap is 4.0-7.5. By their grid of defects, this is (supposed) to mean a detached wrap has no impact on the grade below 4.0. So a grade of 2.5 or a 3.0 would mean the comic would otherwise grade there, and the wrap detachment would have no impact. Whether in practice they follow their own guidelines is a different story.

I freely admit I use the Overstreet Guide to Grading and their standards and practices have been honed and refined over decades. I can see where a grading company would want to be on the liberal side of the spectrum so books grade and sell high and everyone's happy. If that's the case, I will be landing in the conservative zone and will probably be at odds much more than evens. If folks are going to take it personal (not you in particular) I would just as soon stay out of it.

On 4/21/2023 at 9:25 AM, cchunn3 said:

take it personal

I have a very strict personal policy of not getting mad at people's grades. It's not worth getting upset about and you shouldn't get mad at people volunteering their time & expertise in good faith. I can't see anyone getting their kicks trolling around handing out bad grades anyway. When I grade here, I do try to do my best impersonation of a CGC grader since so many folks posting here are considering sending their books in. Overstreet, MCS, CBCS & CGC certainly don't walk in lockstep about what defect counts for what. A good example of this might be CGC's stand on tape repairs, which a pretty lenient all things considered, and I'm not sure some grading standards are nearly as hard as CGC has become about stains, which I rant about routinely.

On 4/21/2023 at 12:20 PM, scburdet said:

I have a very strict personal policy of not getting mad at people's grades. It's not worth getting upset about and you shouldn't get mad at people volunteering their time & expertise in good faith. I can't see anyone getting their kicks trolling around handing out bad grades anyway. When I grade here, I do try to do my best impersonation of a CGC grader since so many folks posting here are considering sending their books in. Overstreet, MCS, CBCS & CGC certainly don't walk in lockstep about what defect counts for what. A good example of this might be CGC's stand on tape repairs, which a pretty lenient all things considered, and I'm not sure some grading standards are nearly as hard as CGC has become about stains, which I rant about routinely.

We cool