• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grade is in: The Creature (Dell, 1st print)
2 2

16 posts in this topic

Creature from the Black Lagoon has always been my favorite Universal Monster movie & then this forum informed me that this comic existed. Seems like another Gold Key that a lot of circulating copies are in rough condition. I actually pulled the trigger on this one despite the unverified signature in ink of Carl Pattison on the cover b/c it looked pretty nice otherwise, and the writing sort of blends in a little on the dark background (plus it was relatively inexpensive). The small spine split was not obvious in the photos & not disclosed in the listing. Not sure I'd invest in grading in this conditions, especially since the Creature doesn't even show up until more than halfway through the comic.

(Also, that's a shadow in the back cover. I was too lazy to dig the book out again to retake the picture)

Creature.jpg

PXL_20230421_192557559.jpg

PXL_20230421_192600684.jpg

PXL_20230421_192603501.jpg

PXL_20230421_192607428.jpg

PXL_20230421_192616192.jpg

PXL_20230421_192640640.jpg

PXL_20230421_192653222.jpg

Creature-rev.jpg

Edited by scburdet

On 4/22/2023 at 1:22 AM, SolidShredder said:

inside of the front cover

I'll check it later. I'm not sure a small stain hurts in the 4s. It murders anything from getting to 6.

Edited by scburdet

On 4/22/2023 at 12:33 AM, scburdet said:

not sure a small stain hurts in the 4s.

Nah, it probably won't matter. My real concern is that there is more water damage that is hiding somewhere. It doesn't look like there is, but was just making sure.   

On 4/22/2023 at 1:46 AM, SolidShredder said:

more water damage

On my reinspection, it's a small water stain. Weird one though. It's like 1/2 moon instead of a circle. Size of a half quarter. I don't see it on the front side & I don't find more extensive evidence of contact with water elsewhere. 

My guess is that water dripped onto the book while it was sitting at an angle causing the water to run to one side instead of pooling in a neat circle. So many older comic books were kept unprotected in dingy, wet basements underneath exposed pipes. 

EDIT : Obviously I don't think this little bit of water will affect the grade. I'm still confident at 4.5 or so. 

Edited by SolidShredder

Decided to do a drop-off for grading before the new price structure kicks in. I actually only left this in the box b/c I thought the presser would find it amusing. To my surprise, it was snagged almost immediately. We'll know soon if Carl is famous enough for a Green label.

toy story claw machine GIF

Just got around to checking the notes. No mention of the writing on cover or the small stain on the inside cover.

moderate creasing to cover
moderate spine stress lines to cover
very light tears to cover