• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post for Bragging-What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

84 posts in this topic

Probably the G/VG copy of Adventure Comics #300 (continuous Legion series begins) that I pulled from the $1.00 box at Nashville's The Great Escape while a college student in 1983 or 1984. cloud9.gif

I bought a Captain America #1 for $4000.00 in 1989 from Carlos Rosario at Brain Damage Comics in Brooklyn. He threw in a Spiderman #1 in fine condition for $100 bucks. Carlos was my mentor as far as Golden Age comics. Then he just disappeared from the planet. I have no clue what happened to that guy.

I posted this in a Comics General thread today, but I got this book in a trade. I'm a fan of old school pro wrestling and have tons of stuff on VHS, and one day a guy posts on a tape trading board I used to frequent that he's interested in trading comics for tapes.

I was the only one who responded, so he mailed me his list. I couldn't believe this book was on the list. It took several weeks to make all the copies it took to trade for this one, but once the deal was done, I ended up with this...and STILL have all my original tapes!!! Once-in-a-lifetime trade, but I'll take it! grin.gif

1009122-Avengers4.jpg

1009122-Avengers4.jpg.3ecb7978916d58745fa7b93472d7ff8e.jpg

4 years ago I went home(where I grew up to visist my parents) for a visit. A guy who knew I collected comics called me up and told me he wanted to sell some of his comics. I decided to check them out and boy was I glad I did. I picked out around 50 comics all in awesome shape in the lot was Amazing 129(had a small mark on the cover), Incredible Hulk 181, Amazing 122 and some other good but less significant books. I asked him what he wanted he said $130(Canadian)....I was like sure. I paid him and left with a grin bigger then the joker ever had. I rarely get steals in the hobby as I tend to buy as soon as I want something, I never wait and shop around. This time it sort of feel into my lap.

Probably the G/VG copy of Adventure Comics #300 (continuous Legion series begins) that I pulled from the $1.00 box at Nashville's The Great Escape while a college student in 1983 or 1984. cloud9.gif

while not my greatest deal i did pulled early Valiants out of the Great Escape .50 boxes at a show back in the mid 90`s and later that same day sold them back to them at a huge premium -- spent $6 -- they then paid me $ 130 yay.gif

while not my greatest deal i did pulled early Valiants out of the Great Escape .50 boxes at a show back in the mid 90`s and later that same day sold them back to them at a huge premium -- spent $6 -- they then paid me $ 130 yay.gif

27_laughing.gif Nice!

news.gif Hehe, the Great Escape. Wonderful customer service :sarcasm:

Wrong forum for my OO Bronze collection, but financially speaking, these books are my best deal ever. Amazingly, these survived moves from Philadelphia to Chicago (in '76), Chicago to LA (in '81), and LA back to Philly (in '85), all without the benefit of backing boards:

Hulk180.jpg