• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post for Bragging-What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

84 posts in this topic

About 5 years ago, a large high grade collection of Bronze books showed up at the Silver Snail in Toronto... They were snapped up quick, but I got copies of:

Jonah Hex #1

Jonah Hex Super Spectacular

Sgt. Rock #302-320

Unkown Solder #305

And a whole whack of Weird War #14-40

All were 9.2 or better (haven't gotten any slabbed, though) and they were all $5 to $7. Walked out of there with something like 40 very high grade books for about 200 bones.

Was anybody in Toronto then who snapped up the horror or hero books from that collection? Everything was there.

Shep

best deals...hmmm...an x-men 26 in VF for around 14$.

an almost full run of amazing spidey 110-400 in around NM or better including the big tickets 121,122,129 (these in around VF+ to VF/NM) for around 500$ shipping included (this was like 6 years ago)!!!

6 or 7 years ago

an DD full miller run in very nice shape VF+ and better 158-250 for around 140$

an uncanny x-men in also great shape 110-300 for around 200$

what do you think?! laugh.gif

That Spidey deal is pretty impressive. Even for 6 years ago...

thanks, i think it too...it was off ebay, very risky and it could have turn into a nightmare since the package (3 big boxes) arrived almost 2 months after being sent (the seller sent it by surface instead of airmail to get some $$$). but it arrived safe and sound and it was a great way to start building up seriouslly my gorgeous spidey coll. cloud9.gif

i still remember opening the boxes and feeling like a kid in x-mas day...really great feeling discovering those comics/covers/stories!!!

regards

I arrived late to an auction with my father back in fall of 1985.When we took our seats a stack of comics was being bid on.I told my dad the top comic was a EC and he bid.I bought the stack of 46 comics for $55.00....The top comic was only half there with no back cover but inside the stack was a Superman #11, Hopalong Cassidy #1,2,6 and 11, All Flash 22, and 26 and the best of the best was a fine+ copy of Marvel Mystery # 4.....I still have all these issues.

Not to bad for $55.00......

Also that same day my dad bought a coffe can of coins that had a very fine + 1877 indian head cent.The can of coins were sold for $106.00 $40.00 over face value.

I also purchased a Jackie Robinson comic from a book store in 1989 for $1.00.I sold it on Ebay in 2000 for $395.00.

You took my post! I will go one step further.....selling and dealing said books in the very early 90's to load up on high grade keys. My total investment...like yours, I figured at under $300..return in the late 90's when I sold them..Pricless. Sorry, I could not resist! Best to you all.

great thread!

mine would have to be buying an ebay NM dd 7 1965 in 2000 which actually was nm! got it for about $400

it got a cgc 9.2 when cgc was real strict (old labels) 2000, sold it in 2001 for $2025

wished i had kept it, prob would bget a 9.4 now!!

i think mr charles rozanski should post his all time best deal.....................

Well, two deals come to mind:

In 1996 I answered an ad in CBG for some NM Sensation Comics. I bought them all, over 30 books. All Mile Highs. The seller didn't know. He just told me most had writing on the covers....I then bought more books from the same man, including the WW 2 Mile High. Sorry, sold or traded them all a long time ago.Before CGC. I bought them for NM guide.

How could someone not know that they had Mile High books? confused-smiley-013.gif

In 1996 I answered an ad in CBG for some NM Sensation Comics. I bought them all, over 30 books. All Mile Highs. The seller didn't know. He just told me most had writing on the covers....I then bought more books from the same man, including the WW 2 Mile High. Sorry, sold or traded them all a long time ago.Before CGC. I bought them for NM guide.

How could someone not know that they had Mile High books? confused-smiley-013.gif

I was wondering the same thing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mile Highs have always sold at a premium, even back in the old days. Why would the guy have paid the kind of premium he probably would have had to pay to acquire them in the first place, if he didn't think there was anything exceptional about them other than having writing on the covers?

Well you or a friend?

My best-

Bought a Hulk #181 in about 7.5-8.5 condition on Ebay for $300. When I got it it had writing on the inside front cover. I was mad that the seller diden't mention this in any way. I sold this comic later showing the writing on ebay. The writing turned out to be a signature of the author. It sold for alittle over $600.

Please brag I like to hear.

Back in 87, on a heating installation job site, the homeowner asked me to "get rid of that box of trash". I agreed to "get rid of it", but told him..."there are some books in it".....

"I don't want that 893censored-thumb.gif around here, carry it out and you can have it".

takeit.giftakeit.giftakeit.gif

In the box was a copy of HOS #92. 893whatthe.gif

I would very conservatively grade it as a fine.

As I said, I was on a job site,being paid by my employer, so I was in effect, paid to take this book.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

Kind of tough to get a better deal than that.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

In the 80’s I when to a comic store auction in a small

town just west of Lincoln Ne.

The comic shop also sold sports cards.

The bank foreclosed on the store and they had to sell at auction.

Most of the people were there to buy sports cards.

There was one guy from Ks, that wanted the Iron man #1.

He was about the only other one bidding on comics. By the end of the auction I was getting long boxes for $2.00 each.

At that time I had a Dodger Caravan when I drove back to Lincoln

I could not see out some of the windows it was so full of comics.

The whole day cost me $380.00.

I still have a bunch of those comics. The guy was really into Valiants

He had all of the dealer incentives and gold labels.

I have graded some of the Valiants and they came back in the high 9’s.

My best day ever with comics.

I found a copy of House of Secrets 92 in the mid 1990's while on vacation at a small antique store in a pile of comics for .50 cents each. I bought three comics. It was around a VG/FN.

Forgot to post the Number makepoint.gif

In the 80’s I when to a comic store auction

The guy was really into Valiants

Too bad you also didn't get the time machine that enabled him to be into Valiants years before they were published. smile.gif

First 20 issues of Fantastic Four for $10 postpaid in 1966 from an ad in RBCC

At the time, what was the reaction of the people around you (parents, friends, etc)? Did they think you were nuts for paying 50 cents for each comic?

I was wondering the same thing. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Mile Highs have always sold at a premium, even back in the old days. Why would the guy have paid the kind of premium he probably would have had to pay to acquire them in the first place, if he didn't think there was anything exceptional about them other than having writing on the covers?

Knowledge of MH markings were not widely disseminated and so this type of thing has happened on more than one occasion. Besides alot of of the oldtime dealers may not really care as they don't like the idea of pedigrees or charging more than Overstreet.

Besides alot of of the oldtime dealers may not really care as they don't like the idea of pedigrees or charging more than Overstreet.

But Chuck probably sold them for a premium over Overstreet. So they probably would have been subsequently sold for a premium over Overstreet. If Nochips' seller had to purchase them at a premium over Overstreet, wouldn't that have clued him in that there was something special about those books?