• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Post for Bragging-What's the best deal you've ever gotten?

84 posts in this topic

Well, Sensation comics haven't seen the respect(pricewise) of other DC titles. The "premium" might not have been as large. So, the guy might have thought, he paid too much for the books vs the pedigree "premium". If he was not familiar with pedigrees then this would make some sense.

Besides alot of of the oldtime dealers may not really care as they don't like the idea of pedigrees or charging more than Overstreet.

But Chuck probably sold them for a premium over Overstreet. So they probably would have been subsequently sold for a premium over Overstreet. If Nochips' seller had to purchase them at a premium over Overstreet, wouldn't that have clued him in that there was something special about those books?

I hate to repeat myself but no. Having been around quite a few dealers and going to quite a few conventions and having been the recipient of purchasing a number of unrecognized pedigrees, this is uncommon, but has happened. (No, I've never picked up a pile of Church books.) Also, when Chuck sold the books, remember that the Church collection had just about every book. If you were a regular collector at that time you might pay double guide of 15 bucks in 1980 to buy a copy you always wanted and never think twice about it being from the Mile High collection. Then you sell it yourself or to a long time dealer friend, who knows nothing about the Mile Highs. Those were the days.

in 1966 I was hooked on Marvels, had been buying religiously from FF #22 on, needed the first 21 FF's, saw a chance to get most of them at once, took a chance and sent my $10. My mom knew what I was doing but didn't get upset or anything. I was 16 at the time. I still have the #1, #4, #9 and #14