• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have a weak spot for Gold Key’s Twilight Zone and Ripley’s Believe it or Not

18 posts in this topic

The titles you’d see in book exchanges over here in the 25p bins, back in the day.  Never a copy of Magnus Robot Fighter there.

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/26/2023 at 12:57 PM, rakehell said:

Especially when they're billed as "Weird!, Eerie! and/or Authentic!"

Personally, when I see a story about gravestones coming to life, authenticity is top of my must-have list. :insane:

I bet the night wasn't so silent once those two started crashing about. 

On 4/25/2023 at 5:42 AM, NoMan said:

Can’t help but pick them up whenever I see them and they always disappoint: terrible stories, terrible art and yet I keep buying them. Some of the hand painted covers are cool 

Where do you stand on Boz Kar's Golden Keys, NoMan?

1963.01Thriller2TPStampCopyB.thumb.jpg.f906afa9d445ac3e5dd6c43c043859e8.jpg

Not directly on them, hopefully. That's no good for the spines. 

On 4/26/2023 at 1:02 PM, Get Marwood & I said:

I bet the night wasn't so silent once those two started crashing about. 

"Keep the bloody noise down you silly re-animated funerary sculptures! Don't you know what bloody time it is?" is what I would have yelled out me bedroom window at stupid o'clock in the AM. What's the neighborhood coming to? :sumo:

On 4/26/2023 at 1:17 PM, rakehell said:

"Keep the bloody noise down you silly re-animated funerary sculptures! Don't you know what bloody time it is?" is what I would have yelled out me bedroom window at stupid o'clock in the AM. What's the neighborhood coming to? :sumo:

The locals must've thought they were stoned!

policesquad.gif.b820b1d19d153739b7dcfb672f544c36.gif

On 4/26/2023 at 1:44 AM, rakehell said:

Always on the lookout for another opportunity to show this off -

tz1uk.thumb.jpg.877484f75ea0539436f54f21fa0c5b86.jpg

:banana:

How did Dell become Gold Key? I think this is the only issue with the Dell logic. #2 went to Gold Key. I think.  

On 4/26/2023 at 5:08 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Where do you stand on Boz Kar's Golden Keys, NoMan?

1963.01Thriller2TPStampCopyB.thumb.jpg.f906afa9d445ac3e5dd6c43c043859e8.jpg

Not directly on them, hopefully. That's no good for the spines. 

Is he the artist? Nice cover. Insides suck balls, I sure

On 4/26/2023 at 11:54 PM, NoMan said:

How did Dell become Gold Key? I think this is the only issue with the Dell logic. #2 went to Gold Key. I think.

The issue above is actually the very first Twilight Zone comic (& a pence variant to boot), which was Dell Four Color #1173 (March - May, 1961). There were a few more Dell Twilight Zone: Four Color #1288 (Feb - April, 1962), and a little 2 issue run #01860-207 (May - July, 1962) & 01860-210 (Aug - Oct, 1962). The Gold Key run started in November 1962 & ran for 92 issues. 

As to the inner workings at Western & why they went from Dell to Gold Key, if I remember right (which I probably don't), there was some sort of bust up to do with distribution or something. I'm sure there is a thread on here somewhere that goes into detail about it, if you have a few hours you don't mind losing to look it up. :)