• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Understanding card grading criteria
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Hello, I recently had a legendary reverse charizard holo graded (#4218072002) and was expecting a much better grade. The front surface is pristine and the back also in NM/M condition, with very minimal white on the edges.  There is a small defect on the top right, but no actual bending or creasing with no scratches (that I can see) on the front surface. With all that considered it received a lower grade then a few of my other cards that have noticeable scratching on the surface. I'd like to know what specifically knocked down the grade on this card so severely. Thanks!

• Administrator

Hello @Mondster86

Thank you for reaching out to us. I understand that it is disappointing to receive a grade that is lower than expected.

CGC's grading standards and processes are proprietary, so while I cannot give specific reasons why your card received its grade, I can share processes that help ensure that every book is graded according to CGC standards. Each card is only removed from its sleeve by the graders. This ensures that when the graders review the card, they review it in the condition it is received. Additionally, each card is reviewed by more than one grader to ensure that the final grade is consistent with CGC's grading processes. 

It is also important to note that minor defects may be difficult to see through the encapsulation. You may be able to view smaller defects of this type by holding the card at an extreme angle in the bright light. Even so, they can be difficult to see while the card is in the holder.

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 

Thank-you for the reply, although not quite the clarity I was hopeful to receive. Ultimately I didn’t understand how a card with no scratches and no bends, but a very small print defect that looks like a tiny crease (again not a bend) received a grade quite a bit lower than another card with noticeable surface scratches. Does the appearance of a crease, whether it’s a true bend or a defect, automatically knock the card down significantly?

• Administrator

Hello @Mondster86, unfortunately, we would not be able to advise what defects may cause a grade to be lower than another defect. These decisions are made directly by the grading team and our grading processes are proprietary. While we would love to assist you further, we cannot provide exacts on how the graders came to their final decision. Although we cannot comment on why your card received the grade that it did, we can assure you that all collectibles are reviewed by multiple professionals to ensure the most accurate grade is given.

Please let us know if you have any additional questions.