• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mishandling & error
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Had received couple books back just didn’t seem right with the grading & pressing. Needless to say I wasn’t to happy. Called customer support and the helpful lady confirmed my fears. They never went to pressing and also confirmed pressing WAS on form. Directed me on how to ship back free for resubmission to resolve this issue.   The problem I have is this. All the money for membership and grading fees and pressing fees and shipping fees you think that a little more care would be taken on handling, processing and finalizing each product. I mean what am I really paying a membership for?  On never comics if it’s not a 9.8 or above I believe notes should be applied  if the company is really taking the time to notice flaws on a book they should be inputting those flaws on the notes.. absolutely no reason not to.  Rant over .. have good day

On 4/26/2023 at 2:27 PM, Kurt’s regerts said:

Had received couple books back just didn’t seem right with the grading & pressing. Needless to say I wasn’t to happy. Called customer support and the helpful lady confirmed my fears. They never went to pressing and also confirmed pressing WAS on form. Directed me on how to ship back free for resubmission to resolve this issue.   The problem I have is this. All the money for membership and grading fees and pressing fees and shipping fees you think that a little more care would be taken on handling, processing and finalizing each product. I mean what am I really paying a membership for?  On never comics if it’s not a 9.8 or above I believe notes should be applied  if the company is really taking the time to notice flaws on a book they should be inputting those flaws on the notes.. absolutely no reason not to.  Rant over .. have good day

Definitely a shame that books you sent in were not pressed when you requested as much. I would expect CGC to cover all associated costs shipping them back, actually pressing, grading them again and returning to you.

As for your gripe about notes, I understand it but CGC rarely does on books that are 9.2-9.6. If you are wondering why, part of it is due to time. If they noted every one, there would be worse delays in getting books back. Astute and experience graders can determine why a book get a 9.2 vs 9.4 vs 9.6. Your best bet if you get books back and would like to know, is to share pics of the book in questions (before and after slabbing if possible). People on here who have no connection to you and your comic will be more critical of it than you are. That is just a fact. I have had books that I love and look at and think "hey this could be really high grade and might be worth submitting" but then upon sharing pictures, I get the reality check I need from others showing me that "yes, that spine tick or small ding or slight colour rub really means it is a 9.4 at best". 

Finally, from experience the areas to look extremely close at when wondering why a 9.4 or 9.6 did not come back a 9.8 are the spine (and I mean look really close, front and back), the staples (should have not noticeable marks or scuffs or fraying), the corners (if they are blunted or rounded even slightly along the spine corners or if they are not sharp along the reading edge, a 9.8 it will not be) and finally the covers themselves (when viewed under good lighting, you should not see indents or marks or scuffs or any colour rub).

If you get a book back that is a 9.4 and all of those things are actually perfect, then you have a case for the complaint. But I am willing to bet that once shared, you will find more critical eyes than your own that will alert you to the problems. It is a learning curve, something even I find I learn more about every day after 20+ years collecting. 

On 4/26/2023 at 2:27 PM, Kurt’s regerts said:

I sympathize with your situation, as this should never happen, however...

The second sentiment I bolded is just wrong. There's plenty of reasons not to.

If I’m paying for pressing and per cgc “takes longer” then the -not enough time- statement loses all leg. And then again, why pay for membership?  Vs free. Done both and yet to see any perk other than the credit they give you. Which is your own money when broken down.

I will definitely post pics of said comics when received back  the venom 3 is screwed. Definitely some mishandling with the bottom left corner that wasn’t there when submitted. The venom 27 looks flawless to me. But I’m not pro either  mind you these still have the plastics wrap around then as well so kinda hard to tell. Didn’t really want to take anything apart as proof to cgcIMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.12d05f1385b0a285eb94b237f0092d67.jpegIMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.132451143e0a3f0e29477d760310fdd0.jpeg

On 4/26/2023 at 4:27 PM, Kurt’s regerts said:

I will definitely post pics of said comics when received back  the venom 3 is screwed. Definitely some mishandling with the bottom left corner that wasn’t there when submitted. The venom 27 looks flawless to me. But I’m not pro either  mind you these still have the plastics wrap around then as well so kinda hard to tell. Didn’t really want to take anything apart as proof to cgcIMG_1080.thumb.jpeg.12d05f1385b0a285eb94b237f0092d67.jpegIMG_1079.thumb.jpeg.132451143e0a3f0e29477d760310fdd0.jpeg

Pics in the bags can be hard to tell....plus back covers needed to really assess.

I think the corner def played into the grade on the first. And not to say mishandling did not occur, but you would be surprised what you miss. I send in a modest 20 or so books a year, so I am able to take before pics when I send just to be safe. I got back a book that has a small minute dirt mark on the cover that I swore never was there when I sent it. But sure enough, when I looked back at the pics I took before sending, it was there. So my error, not CGCs

I also think this circled spot, unless something on the bag is the issue with Venom 27

image.thumb.png.fd1f17a28aed1d1fe783b329e76b86fb.png