• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Let's see those beautiful slabs!
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 4/27/2023 at 11:15 AM, Comicsadelphia said:

@D2 very nice comics.  Wolverine is my favorite character.  I would never relinquish those books, each one looks great.

Thanks! It's pretty much a tie between Wolverine and Batman when it comes to top number of reads for me.
I don't ever expect to get rid of these either, and interestingly enough, to your point with custom labels...

I typically don't really like mismatched colored signatures on books, so when I got my Wolverine 66 with black and red, it bothered me. For years, I preferred the all black signature book, and when the custom labels came out, I submitted the all black signature book for the first Wolverine label. So the gap of love between the books grew and grew, until they released the second Wolverine custom label, and I did not expect for it to pop so well as it did. Now, it saddens me to say this, because I gave this book so much dislike before, but I actually now prefer the red/black mismatched colored signatures on this book, because it matches the custom label.

I want custom labels on all of my books. In fact, I want the custom labels of Wolverine to keep coming, and I will buy more copies of the books I already have, just so I can have the same book in multiple looks with the custom labels. I am that much of a fan of them lol

@D2 When i saw the dual color signatures on that it was not something i would have prefered though i did like the red matching the red in the label.  I would have felt the same way at first if I didn't have that label.  All those slabs seem to work for me.  The custom labels are a nice touch and make the book stand out.  Do you know why CGC has not gotten DC labels?  Batman labels would be on everyone's list.

On 4/27/2023 at 11:38 AM, Comicsadelphia said:

@D2 When i saw the dual color signatures on that it was not something i would have prefered though i did like the red matching the red in the label.  I would have felt the same way at first if I didn't have that label.  All those slabs seem to work for me.  The custom labels are a nice touch and make the book stand out.  Do you know why CGC has not gotten DC labels?  Batman labels would be on everyone's list.

I know CGC Mike had some discussions about it and asked for board members' opinions, but one thing that he called out was specifically for Marvel labels, and he did emphasize no DC labels at this time. So I am guessing that DC is not interested and doesn't want to participate for whatever reason.

This kind of, coincides, with my love for the IDW/Graphitti Designs Artist Edition books, where DC is no longer allowing these to be produced under their banner... whereas Marvel is greenlighting them all.

So I don't know what's happening behind the scenes at DC, but they are not active or interesting in being a part of anything outside of their direct scope, which totally epically sucks.

@D2 It does suck.  I would like to see a whole mess of labels to choose from.  Not just from DC either, more Image and Darkhorse would be nice.  Some Spawn, including different characters from that series, Savage Dragon, Pitt would also be nice since those books are very popular now.  It's all about money, they probably don't see much return in it for them, though it's like you said previously.  If the labels are there you will send in just for that.  i can see many people feeling the same way.

On 4/27/2023 at 12:02 PM, Comicsadelphia said:

@D2 It does suck.  I would like to see a whole mess of labels to choose from.  Not just from DC either, more Image and Darkhorse would be nice.  Some Spawn, including different characters from that series, Savage Dragon, Pitt would also be nice since those books are very popular now.  It's all about money, they probably don't see much return in it for them, though it's like you said previously.  If the labels are there you will send in just for that.  i can see many people feeling the same way.

Yeah it will be interesting to see how this evolves.

They are starting to do custom labels for signings... I'm not sure how much I love that. So for Frank Miller, you can get his custom 300 label, only through the private signing. Todd McFarlane's was the same, and I believe they are doing that again for Rob Liefeld.

I am in the same boat as you, more is more for me, and it would be nice if there were multiple options or have the label expiry window shorter than the 2 years they seem to have. 

I would love to see more publisher labels, artist labels, writer labels, character labels... I want Saga, and Monstress, I want a Milo Manara and David Finch, or a Chris Claremont and Frank Miller label... I want an Old Man Logan, Dark Knight Returns Batman or Superman Red Son label... I want more.

We will see whether or not the market agrees.

Looks like the evolution of the hobby will be from collecting books and storing them in nicely labeled holders, to collecting nicely labeled holders with books in them.

On 4/27/2023 at 2:09 PM, Axe Elf said:

Looks like the evolution of the hobby will be from collecting books and storing them in nicely labeled holders, to collecting nicely labeled holders with books in them.

Lol I appreciate the joke

I also think that there’s nothing wrong with the industry leader providing a good product. 

This isn’t actually aimed at you, as my comment is directed to a vocal minority of board members that only seem to be interested in product from yesteryear, hellbent on criticizing anything new. 

It’s my dad who watches the same old movies from the 50s and 60s, adamant that anything that came later is stupid 

:kidaround: