• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Recent Tradd Moore Doc Strange drop
2 2

116 posts in this topic

On 5/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Yup, but whether it sold at that price is anyone's guess -- and it could very well have been a trade for no cash 

Whether the other pieces that aren't marked as sold really went unsold is anyone's guess too, could be that they sold and the owner just forgot or is too lazy to mark them as sold  :baiting:

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/21/2023 at 5:10 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Yup, but whether it sold at that price is anyone's guess -- and it could very well have been a trade for no cash 

With all the other great art up for sale at CA Live that DIDN'T sell, I am supposed to believe someone paid $27,000 for THAT SSB page? Come on.

On 5/21/2023 at 5:28 PM, Michael Browning said:

With all the other great art up for sale at CA Live that DIDN'T sell, I am supposed to believe someone paid $27,000 for THAT SSB page? Come on.

It's a 4 panel action page that features Knull in all and has all of the trippy Tradd detailing on full display. It's fully consistent with what Knull pages have been selling for privately. I don't know why you are surprised, I have never seen a page from SSB sit for sale for more than 48 hours anywhere. Ever notice how all the pages that were shared on CAF in the last year as just regular NFS uploads have been removed? That's because collectors with no intention of selling are getting dump trucks worth of cash pulling up their driveways the moment they let the internet know they have a page. The Doctor Strange sellout was partially a wave of FOMO for people who have cash and can't find SSB pages.

Edited by Darkly

On 5/21/2023 at 9:35 PM, Darkly said:

It's a 4 panel action page that features Knull in all and has all of the trippy Tradd detailing on full display. It's fully consistent with what Knull pages have been selling for privately. I don't know why you are surprised, I have never seen a page from SSB sit for sale for more than 48 hours anywhere. Ever notice how all the pages that have gotten shared on CAF in the last year as just regular NFS uploads have been removed? That's because collectors with no intention of selling are getting dump trucks worth of cash pulling up their driveways the moment they let the internet know they have a page. The Doctor Strange sellout was partially a wave of FOMO for people who have cash and can't find SSB pages.

Eh, I still say that all the people paying these truckloads of cash will be sorry when the time comes to resell because there is no way that these pieces are ever being resold for 2X and 3X (and MORE! according to a few people on this thread 🙄) in my lifetime.

On 5/21/2023 at 6:38 PM, Michael Browning said:

Eh, I still say that all the people paying these truckloads of cash will be sorry when the time comes to resell because there is no way that these pieces are ever being resold for 2X and 3X (and MORE! according to a few people on this thread 🙄) in my lifetime.

I suspect that will be more of an issue for the Doctor Strange art than the SSB art. SSB was really what launched this rocket ship and is still held in high regard as a comic series. Doctor Strange didn't get the same attention and this might be anecdotal, but most of the people I know that went after pages rather have a SSB page. It was sort of a "next best thing" situation. There will be another DS drop, probably several, and we'll see how well it holds up. It's fully possible if Tradd just slowly rolls his art out over the years this just stays firm and the market just absorbs it. That being said, some people do buy OA because they like it and not because they want to flip it ;) I know at least two collectors who have multi million dollar collections and have no plans on selling their SSB pieces, ever.

On 5/21/2023 at 10:04 PM, Darkly said:

I suspect that will be more of an issue for the Doctor Strange art than the SSB art. SSB was really what launched this rocket ship and is still held in high regard as a comic series. Doctor Strange didn't get the same attention and this might be anecdotal, but most of the people I know that went after pages rather have a SSB page. It was sort of a "next best thing" situation. There will be another DS drop, probably several, and we'll see how well it holds up. It's fully possible if Tradd just slowly rolls his art out over the years this just stays firm and the market just absorbs it. That being said, some people do buy OA because they like it and not because they want to flip it ;) I know at least two collectors who have multi million dollar collections and have no plans on selling their SSB pieces, ever.

Every collector will sell one day. Or their family sure will.

On 5/21/2023 at 9:38 PM, Michael Browning said:

And it is perfectly fine that you feel that way about other people's purchases, just like it's perfectly fine for those people to feel differently (and at the end of the day, the only person who has to be satisfied with their actions is that person themselves). But that's all it is at the moment, feelings. 

p.s and just for clarity, I don't like Moore's art nor can afford it if I did. Just defending a principle.

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/21/2023 at 11:11 PM, JC25427N said:

And it is perfectly fine that you feel that way about other people's purchases, just like it's perfectly fine for those people to feel differently (and at the end of the day, the only person who has to be satisfied with their actions is that person themselves). But that's all it is at the moment, feelings. 

p.s and just for clarity, I don't like Moore's art nor can afford it if I did. Just defending a principle.

To expand a bit on what I mean here, initially I came into this with the thought that people were buying this art at these insanely high prices because they just really liked the art/artist and were ok at buying them at these prices regardless of their potential as investments. And that's ok if that's what they did.  Then I was presented with some information that makes me think it's reasonable for people to feel that these do have merit as investments too and it's not completely out of line for people to buy into this thinking "I really like the art, and I feel safe with the knowledge that if I have to sell it I could get some more value out of it". Personally, I'd be in the same line of thought as Michael in that I can't really bring myself to honestly say I think these pages can be resold for substantially more than the prices they were sold at. But I believe Felix, other people in this thread, and the few past auction examples I saw when that say SSB was successful in giving the initial buyers a significant ROI when they were resold. So while past performance isn't guarantee of anything, I think there's enough for someone to have a reasonable faith in the security of their purchases when it comes to these Tradd Moore pages, even if I (and however many others) wouldn't share that same faith

Edited by JC25427N

On 5/21/2023 at 8:31 PM, JC25427N said:

To expand a bit on what I mean here, initially I came into this with the thought that people were buying this art at these insanely high prices because they just really liked the art/artist and were ok at buying them at these prices regardless of their potential as investments. And that's ok if that's what they did.  Then I was presented with some information that makes me think it's reasonable for people to feel that these do have merit as investments too and it's not completely out of line for people to buy into this thinking "I really like the art, and I feel safe with the knowledge that if I have to sell it I could get some more value out of it". Personally, I'd be in the same line of thought as Michael in that I can't really bring myself to honestly say I think these pages can be resold for substantially more than the prices they were sold at. But I believe Felix, other people in this thread, and the few past auction examples I saw when that say SSB was successful in giving the initial buyers a significant ROI when they were resold. So while past performance isn't guarantee of anything, I think there's enough for someone to have a reasonable faith in the security of their purchases when it comes to these Tradd Moore pages, even if I (and however many others) wouldn't share that same faith

I think most people buying SSB love the art and think it will retain its value well enough. I don't think it's insane to believe the prices may double over the next 10 years. That isn't the 10x return the initial buyers had, but that is a performance people would have killed for prior to the markets going bananas over covid. Things may normalize, that's fine. SSB may go down in value a bit over the next year(s) if tough times are ahead -- that's fine as well. But Tradd is a special artist and SSB was a special book. While buying Berkshire Hathaway stock would be safer investment, I don't think many here would get as much joy hanging the stock certificate on the wall. If you are just here to flip OA like NFTs, then god speed. For some this is just a hobby that has the added benefit that what is bought can increase in value -- no different than someone who collects classic cars or watches. Not everything has to be a bored ape. Just my 2 cents.

Edited by Darkly

On 5/22/2023 at 12:31 AM, Darkly said:

I think most people buying SSB love the art and think it will retain its value well enough. I don't think it's insane to believe the prices may double over the next 10 years. That isn't the 10x return the initial buyers had, but that is a performance people would have killed for prior to the markets going bananas over covid. Things may normalize, that's fine. SSB may go down in value a bit over the next year(s) if tough times are ahead -- that's fine as well. But Tradd is a special artist and SSB was a special book. While buying Berkshire Hathaway stock would be safer investment, I don't think many here would get as much joy hanging the stock certificate on the wall. If you are just here to flip OA like NFTs, then god speed. For some this is just a hobby that has the added benefit that what is bought can increase in value -- no different than someone who collects classic cars or watches. Not everything has to be a bored ape. Just my 2 cents.

Let’s be clear: this is a hobby where the buy-in starts at around a grand for a decent page of anything, so it’s not JUST a hobby and you’d better be aware of what you can get back out of the art, unless you’re lighting cigars with hundred dollar bills every hour.

I don’t buy art thinking I am just going to flip it. I buy it because I genuinely like the art and want to own it. I really like Tradd Moore art, but I don’t like it enough to pay the super-high buy-in prices and, at that price point, yes, I am definitely thinking “if I pay five figures for a page, what will I be able to get for it in four or five years?” I’d be crazy not to consider that.

I don’t sell many pieces of art and haven’t in the last couple of years; I really like every single piece in my collection. I’ve also been in this hobby for more than 25 years now, far outlasting most of the collectors who loved everything they’ve ever bought and who never intend (or intended, I should say) to sell a single piece. I’ve also bought a lot of collections of art from those-who-will-never-sell-because-they-love-their-art-so-much.

Again, I like Tradd Moore art. I was one of the people really excited about his Ghost Rider and figured he would be a hot artist one day. But, I simply don’t believe people will get this huge return on investments that everyone is talking about.

On 5/2/2023 at 4:48 PM, comix4fun said:

Not even FOR SALE....just in their gallery. And they can watch the unsolicited emails come in, over and over and over again with requests to buy, requested to make an offer, and they can even see the numbers attached. 

Man, I’m still waiting for my first solicitation asking me if I want to sell a NFS piece. I really needed to jump on that Garfield band wagon. (shrug)

On 5/25/2023 at 4:56 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Man, I’m still waiting for my first solicitation asking me if I want to sell a NFS piece. I really needed to jump on that Garfield band wagon. (shrug)

Garfield is out of my league. 
I am a Kraft Mac-n-Cheese guy and that's the Lasagna League.