• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your favourite alternative universe stories?
1 1

18 posts in this topic

Few months past i am intersted to the Injustice comics, this idea that every DC charachters divide in 2 clans and clash, without fear of shocking readers with all of this iconic charachters dead. I found that so cool! I started to buy but not to read (i have collected years 2,3 and 4 of the first series)

What's your favourite? Injustice, DCeased, The X trilogy by Alex Ross or an other?

Personally, Earth X interested me because of this heroes ending concept, but i take a closer look and i don't really be fan of the art.

Just look it now, so sad why just 2 little issues?! This future seems so more credible and apocalyptic comparated to earth x

On 4/28/2023 at 6:23 PM, BA773 said:

Just look it now, so sad why just 2 little issues?! This future seems so more credible and apocalyptic comparated to earth x

Two issues worth of relentless nihilism and bleak depression was quite enough.

On 4/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, BA773 said:

Personally, Earth X interested me because of this heroes ending concept, but i take a closer look and i don't really be fan of the art

The opposite opinion about the art. John Paul Leon was ridiculously underrated by the readership, though highly respected by his peer creators. 

Edited by Ken Aldred

On 4/28/2023 at 5:34 PM, BA773 said:

Few months past i am intersted to the Injustice comics,

Injustice is very good. Tom Taylor destroys the DC Universe.

Squadron Supreme mini-series by Mark Gruenwald.

Batman Holy Terror

JLA The Nail

Superman Red Son

Gotham by Gaslight

Edited by Ken Aldred

Also excellent by Peter David (with George Perez art) is "The Hulk: Future Imperfect". 

"Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow" in Superman #423 and Action #583 is one of my all-time favorites, anabashed love letter and farewell to the Superman of the Silver Age from Alan Moore, Curt Swan, and Kurt Schaffenberger, before the John Byrne-led modernizing reboot of 1986.

The most heartbreaking one might be the Tom Stone tale in "Tom Strong" #20-22 from Alan Moore via America's Best Comics, art by Jerry Ordway.

The story titles for those issues, which is an alternate take on the Tom Strong mythos that had begun in issue #1, are "How Tom Strong Got Started", "Strongmen in Silvertime", and the kicker, "Crisis In Infinite Hearts".

Reading them 20 years ago for the first time, they had that instant classic feel to them, and they hold up beautifully today.

"Love is all we have, Tom, in any universe..."

On 4/29/2023 at 2:50 AM, jdandns said:

The most heartbreaking one might be the Tom Stone tale in "Tom Strong" #20-22 from Alan Moore via America's Best Comics, art by Jerry Ordway.

The story titles for those issues, which is an alternate take on the Tom Strong mythos that had begun in issue #1, are "How Tom Strong Got Started", "Strongmen in Silvertime", and the kicker, "Crisis In Infinite Hearts".

Reading them 20 years ago for the first time, they had that instant classic feel to them, and they hold up beautifully today.

"Love is all we have, Tom, in any universe..."

America’s Best published some great comics.

My favourite character from Tom Strong, his rabbit-headed, alternate universe, funny animal world counterpart, with what for me is the most inspired name in the entire history of the funny animal comic or cartoon genre…

Tom-Strong-Deluxe-1-int.jpg

Warren Strong :roflmao:Hilarious.

It's not a highbrow masterpiece by any means, but easily my "alternate universe" (or perhaps, non-canon) story is Rahne of Terra:

rah.jpg.5961873acc0837f98e4ead675f9d0361.jpg

Just a fun story, with a great ending. I've re-read this one every few years since the early 90s.

The first two that pop in my head are;

Reign of Emperor Joker

Age of Apocalypse

I kind of knew what was happening with Age of Apocalypse when I first read it mostly due to the hype.  I had no clue what was going on with Reign of Emperor Joker.  Real page turners, few limits on what could happen (and did happen, especially to Batman).  I need to dig them both up and re-read!!!

Edited by kenaran
typo fix

Dark Knight Returns (Miller)

Superman: Red Son (mentioned/Millar, Johnson)

X-Men: Days of Future Past (mentioned/Claremont, Byrne)

Old Man Logan (Millar, McNiven)

Marvel Zombies (Kirkman, Phillips)

Wonder Woman: Dead Earth (Johnson)

—-

Stories that might be out of continuity:

Batman: Universe (Bendis, Derington)

Astonishing Spider-Man & Wolverine (Aaron, Kubert)

I like The X-Men: Age of Apocalypse, in theory, and as a kid growing up I loved it. Re-reading it as an adult though is not recommended 

I also want to read Catwoman: Lonely City (Chiang) so we will see about that one. 

Edited by D2

Archie comics has several good ones. ”Afterlife With Archie”, “The Married Life” and volume 2 of the Life With Archie title which features the characters in the future as 20-something’s jump to mind.  My favorite though has to be the long running Little Archie title(s) which is often overlooked, but is absolutely an alternative universe as it differs quite a bit from the teenagers we’ve become familiar with over the decades.

On 5/1/2023 at 1:03 AM, steveinthecity said:

Archie comics has several good ones. ”Afterlife With Archie”,

Good recommendation. Just read it and it’s a surprisingly gory reimagining.