• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Haunt of Fear #17
2 2

19 posts in this topic

On 4/28/2023 at 2:44 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

Looks 5.0 or even 5.5 to me. But I also wondered whether there's a piece of the cover out at the top of the spine. Wouldn't affect my offered grade though.

***HYPOTHETICALLY*** But what if it were glued? What if the cover spine was partially glued to the first wrap?

Edited by cchunn3
added "cover"

On 4/28/2023 at 2:59 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I've no idea if any restoration has been done. I'm new at this and couldn't even point out (what would be, to seasoned collectors) obvious color touch on a book. I got this book for free and I have no clue of its history. Could there be a glued piece here?

Possibly. The pic of the top right rear corner shows a tear or heavy crease. The pic of the spine (stapled edge) way to the left shows what appears to be the start of a spine  split, a vertical separation of the front and rear covers right where they meet at the bend. The pic of the opened front cover, at the top, shows the front cover sticking straight up instead of curling over like the bottom. The pic of the opened rear cover appears to show the very tops of the pages sticking together, pulling the inside page out of alignment on the left. No matter what, do not try to separate the pages! They are fine as is. I only asked  so you could get accurate info.

Edited by cchunn3
rephrase

On 4/28/2023 at 3:13 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

I took a close-up of the spot....

20230428_131047.thumb.jpg.69cebf5fd8de1bccd4f7d689792902a1.jpg

I'm so sorry. Did my caution arrive to late? Yes, that appears to be an old repair. Be very careful handling the book in case of other surprises. You've got a nice, valuable comic there.

On 4/28/2023 at 10:49 PM, Black_Adam said:

Pages look OW/W and I would estimate a 5.0 for the grade. And if you get it graded don't be a-feared of a purple label, it will look great above that cover! (thumbsu

Yes, beg for a purple label, it will tie in really well. Lovely book and an interesting example of resto checking!