• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Pro supplies?
3 3

52 posts in this topic

I like them.  I've bought the 28pt boards and Regular and SA bags along with a pack of their Mylar bags.  Good feel to the bags, the slightly thicker boards provide a sturdier support as well.  I haven't noticed any excessive warping yet like I've seen with Ultra Pro or other poly brands.  

I'll also note that while the cut of their Mylar bags is listed as the same size as E Gerber, the EG full backs are a bit snug in the Comic Pro mylars.  

they are local to us and what a lot of guys here use. As mec said they are just slightly smaller so you are almost forced to use their boards with their bags.  Their mylars aren't the same feel as Gerbers but they are like 50% the price.

Looks like some great prices, but they need a wider golden age size. Gerber's golden age is 8" wide, which I use for my GA books that are just about exactly 7 5/8" wide.  These books would be a too tight a fit in Pro Line's 7 5/8" wide GA bags.  

I bought a couple hunderd bags anmd boards from an LCS in Kitchener a couple years ago, I really like them a lot actually.  Solid, clear...great stuff especially considering the price.

Bags are pretty good. 

I'm really interested in how their boards compare with full-backs and half-backs as far as acidity and ph goes, etc. 

Are the comic pro line boards archival quality or just a standard comic board?

Supposedly they're coated on 1 side but looks like different quality between the different sizes, with the 24 pt being 'standard' cheap boards. 

The 28pt and 56pt boards seem like a higher quality SBS cardboard, whatever that is. 

Would be great to have an affordable and available alternative to gerber boards up here in Canada.

Any insight is appreciated?

They're great. We've ordered tens of thousands of regular bags/boards from them and have another 20k coming Friday. Shipping is expensive to SC, but it's still cheaper than BCW and the quality is much better. Roughly $115 per 1000 bags/boards combos is what I paid. 

Unfortunately, they are no longer selling their 28pt boards in bulk so we had to go to the 24pt. 

Edited by Hey Kids, Comics!

hm I may have to try these. Of course I just ordered a bunch from eGerber....

On 5/3/2023 at 10:25 AM, web_spinner said:

Bags are pretty good. 

I'm really interested in how their boards compare with full-backs and half-backs as far as acidity and ph goes, etc. 

Are the comic pro line boards archival quality or just a standard comic board?

Supposedly they're coated on 1 side but looks like different quality between the different sizes, with the 24 pt being 'standard' cheap boards. 

The 28pt and 56pt boards seem like a higher quality SBS cardboard, whatever that is. 

Would be great to have an affordable and available alternative to gerber boards up here in Canada.

Any insight is appreciated?

I've been wondering the same thing, because I'd love to get some of those 56pt boards at that price if they are truly archival.  From what I can tell, though, they're standard comic boards, not fully buffered, archival boards.  ("Coated on one side" is usually a dead giveaway.)

My limited "research" (our modern era word for "searching online for five minutes") on SBS board indicates that it's generally a high grade material for commercial use, but from what I've gathered, any board is not truly archival unless it's fully buffered throughout (not just coated) with calcium carbonate.

Anyone have corrections to this or any additional insight?

On 5/3/2023 at 4:51 PM, Gonzimodo said:

I've been wondering the same thing, because I'd love to get some of those 56pt boards at that price if they are truly archival.  From what I can tell, though, they're standard comic boards, not fully buffered, archival boards.  ("Coated on one side" is usually a dead giveaway.)

My limited "research" (our modern era word for "searching online for five minutes") on SBS board indicates that it's generally a high grade material for commercial use, but from what I've gathered, any board is not truly archival unless it's fully buffered throughout (not just coated) with calcium carbonate.

Anyone have corrections to this or any additional insight?

Board member msschmidt did a very detailed analysis of E. Gerber backing boards vs. manufacturers claiming that their "coated and buffered" on one side with calcium carbonate (non-acid free) backing boards were acid-free. "... But ... this does not guarantee that your item won't become acidic at a later date, a much more apt description would be "acid-free at time of manufacture"."

The results clearly demonstrated that only E. Gerber (correction two) and BCE boards were (correction) archival-safe acid-free. The post should still be available as it is quite informative.

Edit: The thread is: Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!

Edited by Tec-Tac-Toe
Add link to post. Make corrections

On 5/4/2023 at 2:41 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Board member msschmidt did a very detailed analysis of E. Gerber backing boards vs. manufacturers claiming that their "coated and buffered" on one side with calcium carbonate (non-acid free) backing boards were acid-free. "... But ... this does not guarantee that your item won't become acidic at a later date, a much more apt description would be "acid-free at time of manufacture"."

The results clearly demonstrated that only E. Gerber (correction two) and BCE boards were (correction) archival-safe acid-free. The post should still be available as it is quite informative.

Edit: The thread is: Are "acid-free" backing boards truly acid-free? Time to pH test & find out!

Yes, this is the thread that really brought me to the boards and made me stay!  :banana:  I read that thread through completely a couple times, which led me to my ongoing project of replacing my entire collection with E Gerber boards. (thumbsu

Incidentally, I did an online search yesterday trying to find if SBS board would be considered archival, and I ran across a copy on a separate website (possibly BCW's blog?) of the BCW guy's last post about his lab testing.  This is the one with all his claims that the BCW boards are superior because they "absorb acid from the comic," which is why they turn acidic and you have to replace them every few years, while the fully buffered boards are inferior because they don't "absorb any acid," which was his interpretation for why the pH doesn't change.  :screwy:  I had a good chuckle again, but then I realized how dangerous it is that this was one of the first things that came up in my search, and it looks and sounds "scientific" to anyone just doing a casual search who doesn't think it through very well.