• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Overstreet Price Guide #1 [2nd printing]
2 2

8 posts in this topic

First Edition (1970), Second Printing (powder blue cover).  800 copies produced, but only a relatively small number of well-documented sales.  Condition = 4.0 VG to 5.0 VG/FN.  Value = about $75~150 per point in mid-grade.  These will be certified and encapsulated by CGC.  A nice piece of comic history.  (thumbsu

+1 with all above. There are 17 1st prints in the census (highest 9.6) & 12 2nd prints (highest 9.0).  The water damage on the front has this maxing out around 5, but with something really rare, I don't think it should be part of the decision process.

On 4/30/2023 at 7:00 AM, scburdet said:

+1 with all above. There are 17 1st prints in the census (highest 9.6) & 12 2nd prints (highest 9.0).  The water damage on the front has this maxing out around 5, but with something really rare, I don't think it should be part of the decision process.

Thank you for the insight. Can you clarify by what you mean by the water damage not being part of the "decision process?"

This looks like some moisture damage. To the right where the discoloration isn't as blotchy, it looks like it could just be paper oxidation. CGC is especially hard on anything that is classified as a stain, and there's not really a good option to remove it and increase the grade. But, you know what you're getting into. I've had a couple books with small stains that if I'd seen them ahead of time, and/or known how CGC would consider them, I might not have graded those books. In this case, it's not like you can go find a dozen copies of this for sale, so who cares? There's a first edition that looks like dogcrap on ebay listed for $700 raw. Find a reputable cleaner/presser, get what can be done to make it as presentable as possible, and send it to CGC. It will be a cool thing to have in a PC, or you'd probably clear the investment in clean/press/grading by a wide margin selling a slabbed copy.

image.png.9805a1f2d8e02e168afa66608e1e370a.png

On 4/30/2023 at 11:56 AM, scburdet said:

This looks like some moisture damage. To the right where the discoloration isn't as blotchy, it looks like it could just be paper oxidation. CGC is especially hard on anything that is classified as a stain, and there's not really a good option to remove it and increase the grade. But, you know what you're getting into. I've had a couple books with small stains that if I'd seen them ahead of time, and/or known how CGC would consider them, I might not have graded those books. In this case, it's not like you can go find a dozen copies of this for sale, so who cares? There's a first edition that looks like dogcrap on ebay listed for $700 raw. Find a reputable cleaner/presser, get what can be done to make it as presentable as possible, and send it to CGC. It will be a cool thing to have in a PC, or you'd probably clear the investment in clean/press/grading by a wide margin selling a slabbed copy.

Yep, I saw that copy on the 'bay. Tragic shape. Prices on active listings are meaning less and less to me over time, but I get your point that this isn't a book you see come up often. I'll see what I can do to improve its presentation and potentially get it graded. I'm very happy that I bothered to thoroughly check the shelves!

On 4/30/2023 at 4:25 PM, L'Angelo Misterioso said:

active listings

no doubt. There was a sale too for a much nicer looking one over $1000. IDK if ebay sellers are just hoping someone delusional will pay way over market price or what.  I've been collecting some fanzines that often don't have high market prices necessarily, but the supply is quite limited, especially ones without heavy damage. FWIW my semi-educated WAG is that you might get $300-500 out of this graded from the right collector. Not quite the market for key comics, but I'm sure someone would give it a good home if it's not something you're planning to keep.