• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Does anyone have pics of the Larson More Fun 54 9.2 and 9.0?

58 posts in this topic

Those are the same copy of that book. The 9.0 was resubmitted and got a 9.2 the second time around. I don't think the Larson writing changed. It's just a darker scan on the 9.0.

And unless this copy was pressed, and I have no idea one way or the other, it is examples like this that I believe, IMHO, degrade CGC's reputation and professionalism. It is not as if someone could sneak this book by CGC with the hope of a better grade. They knew it was the Larson both times. There is only one copy. So why the higher grade the second time around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe for the same reason that I frequently give the same comic a different grade that is one level higher or lower than I graded it six months previously. It happens to everyone you know who has ever graded the same book twice, several months apart. CGC is no different.

What seems silly to me is the fact that there might be a significant price difference between the "9.0" Larson copy of that book and the "9.2" Larson copy of that book. Are these things so plentiful in the high grades that .2 actually matters?

Those are the same copy of that book. The 9.0 was resubmitted and got a 9.2 the second time around. I don't think the Larson writing changed. It's just a darker scan on the 9.0.

And unless this copy was pressed, and I have no idea one way or the other, it is examples like this that I believe, IMHO, degrade CGC's reputation and professionalism. It is not as if someone could sneak this book by CGC with the hope of a better grade. They knew it was the Larson both times. There is only one copy. So why the higher grade the second time around? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe for the same reason that I frequently give the same comic a different grade that is one level higher or lower than I graded it six months previously. It happens to everyone you know who has ever graded the same book twice, several months apart. CGC is no different.

Of course I understand that, and CGC is no more or less human than any of us, but that doesn't change the fact that I don't like it. I would say the same if you had graded it. I'd want justification as to why there was a change in the grade. Plus, I'd be interested to know if the same graders graded the book each time. That may be where your example differs. This is not one person grading the book. There are three, and as many as six in this instance (though no doubt there was overlap, but how much?). I sincerely believe CGC does itself an injustice to modify the grades of books it previously had graded. It lessens my personal trust in the company.

What seems silly to me is the fact that there might be a significant price difference between the "9.0" Larson copy of that book and the "9.2" Larson copy of that book. Are these things so plentiful in the high grades that .2 actually matters?

I am with you 100%!!! I said this very same sentiment in the Marketplace section with respect to Mark Wilson's Donald Duck kite book. I think the difference is ridiculous, particularly in light of the fact that what is a 9.0 one day is a 9.2 the next, or a 9.2 vs 9.4.

I am with you 100%!!! I said this very same sentiment in the Marketplace section with respect to Mark Wilson's Donald Duck kite book. I think the difference is ridiculous, particularly in light of the fact that what is a 9.0 one day is a 9.2 the next, or a 9.2 vs 9.4.

Cool! The next time you have a 9.8 book for sale, I want you to sell it to me for a 9.6 price, and if you have a 9.6 book, I want it for a 9.4 price, and so on... Let me see if GPA has any sales of Mad #1 in 9.6, because I`m sure I`d be happy to take your 9.8 copy off your hands at whatever price a 9.6 would`ve sold for. poke2.gif

Cool! The next time you have a 9.8 book for sale, I want you to sell it to me for a 9.6 price, and if you have a 9.6 book, I want it for a 9.4 price, and so on... Let me see if GPA has any sales of Mad #1 in 9.6, because I`m sure I`d be happy to take your 9.8 copy off your hands at whatever price a 9.6 would`ve sold for. poke2.gif

Hey, go check out PCE and their Mad #1 CGC 9.6 Gaines which is thousands of dollars more than my Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines. So there! poke2.gif

On the serious side Tim, I never said that the price for a 9.4 should not be more than a 9.2 or that a 9.6 should not be more than a 9.4 and so on. I said I find it absurd in most cases that sellers significantly increase the price or even double it, particularly in CGC books, when the grade is just one notch above that of the one below. hi.gif

The worst part about the whole 9.2 vs 9.0 thing is that the subjectivity. I mean, what if someone cracks that slab(I know, as if!) and then resubs it. Will they get a 9.0? 9.2?9.4? etc. So, the grade differences are so minor, that it is like Mark said, absolutely absurd to see significant increases. But long as the collecting community continues to pay these absurd prices, it will continue to happen.

The worst part about the whole 9.2 vs 9.0 thing is that the subjectivity. I mean, what if someone cracks that slab(I know, as if!) and then resubs it. Will they get a 9.0? 9.2?9.4? etc. So, the grade differences are so minor, that it is like Mark said, absolutely absurd to see significant increases. But long as the collecting community continues to pay these absurd prices, it will continue to happen.

Like Lemurs jumping off a cliff. Dumb Lemurs. makepoint.gif

It is Lemurs, right? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My name is Scott, not Mark. poke2.gif

Hey, go check out PCE and their Mad #1 CGC 9.6 Gaines which is thousands of dollars more than my Mad #1 CGC 9.8 Gaines. So there! poke2.gif

foreheadslap.gif Okay, how about somebody who owns a 9.6 Mad #1 that DOESN`T completely live in a different dimension?

On the serious side Tim, I never said that the price for a 9.4 should not be more than a 9.2 or that a 9.6 should not be more than a 9.4 and so on. I said I find it absurd in most cases that sellers significantly increase the price or even double it, particularly in CGC books, when the grade is just one notch above that of the one below. hi.gif

I don`t think it`s absurd at all, if you look at the empirical data for what books command for being 0.2 higher. If anything, the sellers are being perfectly rational by pricing in accordance with pricing patterns that they have observed. If they`ve overpriced it, then their product won`t sell. Your beef is really with the buyers who are and have been willing to pay a big multiple to get that 0.2 improvement.

I don`t think it`s absurd at all, if you look at the empirical data for what books command for being 0.2 higher. If anything, the sellers are being perfectly rational by pricing in accordance with pricing patterns that they have observed. If they`ve overpriced it, then their product won`t sell. Your beef is really with the buyers who are and have been willing to pay a big multiple to get that 0.2 improvement.

Are you representing sellers now in your law practice? In any event, it goes hand and glove. Enough blame for sellers and stupidity for buyers to go around. Damn lemmings.

Man you know whats funny? I was going to try and buy that 9.2 until i researched it and found out it was resubmitted and i totally forgot about it. I actually posted about it on another site at the time of the auction. foreheadslap.gif

Is that something that really would keep you from buying that book? The fact that it was graded one thing today and another thing tomorrow?

Who cares? It's the Larson copy of More Fun #54 fer chrissakes. It could be in a PGX 8.5 holder and I'd still love to own it.

Let's not forget that we collect the books INSIDE the slabs, not the slabs themselves or the labels, and the label and slab is simply an opinion by Steve's company about the grade of the book and the presence (or lack thereof) of restoration. When something like a resub would keep someone from buying a killer book I just have to scratch my head.

Are you representing sellers now in your law practice? In any event, it goes hand and glove. Enough blame for sellers and stupidity for buyers to go around. Damn lemmings.

Don't you mean "lemurs"? 27_laughing.gifyay.gif

Man you know whats funny? I was going to try and buy that 9.2 until i researched it and found out it was resubmitted and i totally forgot about it. I actually posted about it on another site at the time of the auction. foreheadslap.gif

Is that something that really would keep you from buying that book? The fact that it was graded one thing today and another thing tomorrow?

Who cares? It's the Larson copy of More Fun #54 fer chrissakes. It could be in a PGX 8.5 holder and I'd still love to own it.

Let's not forget that we collect the books INSIDE the slabs, not the slabs themselves or the labels, and the label and slab is simply an opinion by Steve's company about the grade of the book and the presence (or lack thereof) of restoration. When something like a resub would keep someone from buying a killer book I just have to scratch my head.

You know, I actually agree with Scott. However, the regrade WOULD affect the price I`d be willing to pay for the book. When the 9.2 JLA #1 and 9.2 Flash #105 came back as 9.4s, I was willing to buy them at a price appropriate for a 9.2 book, but not a 9.4 price.

I could rationalize, as a buyer, spending a multiple of guide on between a 9 and 9.4 or even a 9.4 and 9.8...but a 9.2 to 9.4, 9.6 to 9.8 to 9.9 that's just plain screwy.gif The 9 grades should go to 9.0, 9.5 and 10. At that point there are real differences in the quality and appearance of a book. This .2 scrap is just the biggest pile of BSD 893censored-thumb.gif on the Planet. When you get to microscopic differences on an comic book, you have totally taken the buyer out of the process.

You know, I actually agree with Scott. However, the regrade WOULD affect the price I`d be willing to pay for the book. When the 9.2 JLA #1 and 9.2 Flash #105 came back as 9.4s, I was willing to buy them at a price appropriate for a 9.2 book, but not a 9.4 price.

If a book legitimately regraded at 9.4 because it was a "tweener" book (on the edge of 9.2/9.4), I'd probably pay a little more for it than I would a solid 9.2. If the book was pressed up to a 9.4 and was a solid 9.4, I'd pay 9.4 price because, as you know, pressing doesn't bother me. On a book like this though, does the .2 make any difference in the price? Either way, it's a 9.x Larson copy of a classic book.

unless there was a reason aside from the subjective vagaries of grading that caused the bump...

not saying there is such a reason, but you never know